Newbie Alert!!!!

Tinayslife
on 1/29/19 11:27 am - Cincinnati, OH

Hello ALL!

New to this whole process but I am super excited! I am doing my psychiatrist evaluation tomorrow and a endoscopy on the 5th of February. So I guess this is the beginning I have a sister that went through this whole process but she lives quite far away. I have decided to do the sleeve just because I here it's better recovery time and perhaps will not keep me from work more than a few days but I will see. My starting weight is 250 and some say I'm crazy to do the surgery but I have decided not to let the negative Nancy's bother me or more or less not let it affect my decision. I was so excited I mentioned it at work that I was trying to have it done and now every time I walk past one of my co-worker she says "Don't do it..Don't have it". Choking co-workers are frowned upon at work so I'm doing my best to ignore her. She means well. Nevertheless I'm excited and ready for the new me. Any advice is welcome!

Kathy S.
on 1/29/19 12:20 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

jdekost81
on 1/29/19 2:15 pm
VSG on 04/05/19

Welcome! I have been going through all the steps as well. Did my psych eval on Dec 27 and my endoscopy on Jan 16. My last dietitian appt is next Thursday and then they are sending everything to insurance. Feels so close but so far away yet.

Looking forward to having buddies on this journey!!

Tinayslife
on 1/30/19 5:31 pm - Cincinnati, OH

Thanks I did my Eval today and the doctor said I was good to go which was great! I don't have to have the dietitian appts I just need my primary to give me a letter stating that I have tried and failed diets and they said they can send it to my insurance company so I'm hoping to get her to give me the letter tomorrow when I see her. The journey does seem far away but it looks like you are really close. Please keep me posted I'm excited for you!

Tinayslife
on 1/30/19 4:51 pm - Cincinnati, OH

Thank You!!!

Tinayslife
on 1/30/19 5:32 pm - Cincinnati, OH

Thank You!

Gwen M.
on 1/29/19 1:55 pm, edited 1/29/19 6:29 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Hi and welcome!

I don't want to scare you off or anything, but a lot of surgeons recommend two weeks off work for VSG and there are lifting/exercise restrictions for about 6 weeks with most surgeons as well. So it's definitely something to talk about your surgeon with so you have realistic expectations!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Tinayslife
on 1/30/19 4:52 pm - Cincinnati, OH

Thank you for the advice I will definitely keep that in Mind!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/29/19 3:10 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

From my understanding, recovery time is similar for both RNY and VSG, simply because it's a major surgery either way. Having your guts rearranged is a big deal! From posts I've seen here over the years, I would say most folks (both surgeries) are out of work for an average of two weeks.

"My body, my decision" can be a very good mantra to have when you've got negative people around. Honestly, it's nobody's business but yours!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Tinayslife
on 1/30/19 4:58 pm - Cincinnati, OH

Thanks Exactly how I feel My body my Decision....thanks for the advise I will definitely talk to my Dr. about the average time.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views