Recent Posts

Erin T.
on 2/23/19 3:29 am
VSG on 01/17/17
Topic: RE: Losing too fast?

The bigger you are when you start, the faster you tend to lose. The BMR for a male of 415lbs is easily over 3,000 calories per day. Post surgery you probably take in quite a lot less than 1,000. The weight loss will slow down considerably at some point, trust me!

Make sure to take your vitamins, get your protein, and stay hydrated. You have a lot of fat to sustain you on the way down. I think I lost about 25lbs in the first month and was a 230lb female, so I'd say your weight loss is very normal.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Linkman81
on 2/23/19 12:44 am, edited 2/23/19 3:36 am
VSG on 01/16/19
Topic: Losing too fast?

I had my surgery about 40 days ago. I started my pre-op diet 2 weeks before that, so I've been on a restricted diet for about 55 days now. My starting weight was 415 and I've since lost a little over 50lbs. Although I'm thrilled, I have to wonder if losing 50lbs in about 55 days is a bit much. I'm drinking my 75 grams of protein each day with my protein shake. I'm taking a multi-vitamin. And also recently, I'm forcing myself to eat a half an avocado each day because I was concerned I wasn't getting enough fat in my diet to be healthy. The weight keeps falling off. I am drinking at least 64oz of water a day, and trying to make sure I get enough salt in the food I've been eating. I've had to adjust my blood pressure medication already because my BP was getting a bit low after losing the first 30 to 40lbs. My diet plan is doing a low carb high protein diet, combined with intermittent fasting (although it would seem that the intermittent fasting doesn't seem to matter much. I lost just as much weight eating throughout the whole day as when I just eat in the afternoons. I'm getting about 500 to 800 calories a day from my protein shake, 1/2 avocado, and "regular" food each day. Bowel movements are normal and daily. I haven't yet started working out although it's past the 30 day period where I was not suppose to. Honestly, things feel fine with my body. I have lots of energy in spite of only being able to sleep about 5 to 6 hours a night now. I'm just curious if this rapid of weight loss is something people have seen before. Much of the "conventional wisdom" about weight loss out there today is a bunch of hogwash, as I'm sure you've found in your research, as have I... but I still feel a bit of that old fear about losing weight too quickly. Just wanted to see what this community thought.

Maria57_
on 2/22/19 10:09 pm
Topic: RE: WATCHA EATING TODAY VSGers? 22 Feb 2019

Hi Everyone! First time posting. I'm on my 2 day pre-op liquid diet as of midnight. Quick where's the twinky! lol only kidding. I'm as ready as I'm going to be for Monday. Very excited to be finally doing this for me. I'm 58 but it's not to late. I had open heart surgery in 2017 so I'm thinking this won't be as bad but every surgery is different. At least my heart will be so much happier when it's working to support less then what it's doing now. So the B.L.D.S. Is that a daily thing? Or just when someone asks? Am I even posting in the right place? Or am I replying? I know y'all will be patient with me. Everyone sounds so nice. Looking forward to getting to you.

Kristi T.
on 2/22/19 8:50 pm - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Chin length might give it more body, I wonder if a few layers on top would help? I'm sorry you don't like it, hopefully you will feel better about it tomorrow, I think you look great in both pictures, let us know how it turns out.

nevermore71
on 2/22/19 5:40 pm
VSG on 01/08/18
Topic: RE: How to exercise?

Calisthenics are good. The basic exercises you did in high school gym class. These are easily done at home in your spare time.

Walking is good. Really good if you can find a friend or family member who can walk with you.

Joining a gym and using the equipment is another good option. You can get both weight training and cardio in.

I personally love swimming. Not always easy to do if your gym doesn't have a pool or in colder climates.

Turning on the tunes and dancing your heart out is a fun cardio option.

There are also classes you can join. Like yoga, Barre, Zumba, etc.

Building muscle is especially important for those of us who have lost a lot of weight because the body doesn't just consume our fat it consumes our muscle. Over time it leads to a concentration camp survivor look where our skin kind of hangs on us. Even when we still have weight to lose. This is why people start freaking out and saying you're losing to much weight. Because you can start to look unhealthy and emaciated even before you've lost all the weight.

The trick is not to kill yourself but to make it enjoyable so that you'll want to do it. It makes such a difference in how you'll feel. WLS patients should start exercising as early as possible. So you can keep ahead of the muscle attack. It gets addictive and really makes you feel happier and more energetic. Plus makes you look so much better.

nevermore71
on 2/22/19 5:39 pm
VSG on 01/08/18
diane S.
on 2/22/19 10:57 am
Topic: RE: Can't stop snacking!

When you feel like snacking, ask yourself if an ounce or two of poached chicken breast or tuna sounds appealing. If the answer is yes, eat that protein. If the answer is no, you have head hunger and drink some tea or find something else to do. This mindset helps me.. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Knitter215
on 2/22/19 10:19 am - PA
VSG on 08/23/16
Topic: RE: How to exercise?
On February 21, 2019 at 9:17 PM Pacific Time, xoxsarahxo2 wrote:

Hi All! Just wondering what types of exercises worked for you during weight loss. I'm looking to lose like 15ish more lbs but I'm stuck on ideas of exercise. Should it all be cardio? Should I include weights? and for how long a day should I be exercising? Thanks!!

So - the first question is what are you doing now. If you are doing nothing, start with some cardio and some resistance training. The key is building muscle and burning fat. You will not build muscle unless you do some form of weights or resistance training. Ideally, you would do weights 2 days a week and cardio 3 days a week, if you need cardio conditioning.

Consider finding a personal trainer to help you set up a program, it would be well worth it.

I work out 1.5-2 hours daily and work out 6-7 days a week, but I compete in a sport and am in the midst of my season right now.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

Kristi T.
on 2/22/19 9:57 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

We need more Mrs. Wilson's in this world!:-)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Losing too fast?
Linkman81 · 1 replies · 13 views
How to exercise?
xoxsarahxo2 · 4 replies · 101 views
Can't stop snacking!
crysharris · 5 replies · 209 views