AccrualWorld’s Posts

AccrualWorld
on 2/14/19 10:58 am
Topic: RE: 9 days post op

Man I've heard about GERD not having symptoms but I don't understand how. I've been burping a ton while I'm drinking but I heard that's normal and I'm probably not sipping right. The burps don't taste bad or acidic or anything. I guess I'll just wait and see and try to relax about it and hope for the best. Thanks!

AccrualWorld
on 2/14/19 9:50 am
Topic: RE: 9 days post op

So far I'm feeling great, I haven't had any issues and the pain is all but gone (except around incision areas). I have been hitting my liquid goals and drinking protein shakes without problems. I'm down over 15lbs which is just crazy to me!

Prior to surgery, I had occasional heartburn, literally only 1-3 times per month and one tums would fix it, I usually attributed it to what I ate. I also had a hiatal hernia fixed during surgery. So I was a little nervous about VSG and GERD but so far I have had zero acid feelings. Is it too soon to know if I am in the clear? Is post VSG GERD a problem that sets in right away or can it come along at any time? My doctor did not prescribe an acid reducer. Thanks!

AccrualWorld
on 1/18/19 9:13 am
Topic: RE: Just got my surgery date and wigging out

I've definitely heard of that after people have the surgery, when things are the hardest and most painful. I'm mentally preparing myself for those "what have a done" moments. It sounds silly but I relate it to last year when I got a new puppy and on day 3, I had a mental breakdown thinking I had made the wrong choice because of the disruption the puppy had made on my life. It didn't take long for those thoughts to dissipate, so I'll keep reminding myself that this too shall pass. Thanks!

AccrualWorld
on 1/18/19 9:11 am

Thanks everybody for your responses! I actually feel a lot better this morning, just knowing that this process has been many months long and many years in my head. Getting the date, and having it only a few weeks ago, just shook my brain yesterday. Keep on keepin on...

AccrualWorld
on 1/17/19 3:05 pm

Oh wow! After it was all said and done, were you happy you finally made it through??

AccrualWorld
on 1/17/19 2:01 pm

I've been waiting weeks since my insurance authorization to get the call for surgery, and they gave me the date of February 5th! I'm excited to not have to wait very long, but now I'm having those panic-y thoughts thinking "This decision is forever. Are you SURE SURE?" I overthink everything all the time. If I'm this anxious now, I can't imagine my anxiety going into surgery the day of?? Do a lot of people have those thoughts? Is it normal and you just find a way to push through it knowing that this time next year I'll be thanking myself for the best decision I ever made?

AccrualWorld
on 11/9/18 7:45 am
Topic: RE: Questioning my nutritionist

I believe she is a bariatric nutritionist, she works under the same "Center for weight management" with the hospital and surgeon I am going through. She always seems like she's just running through a script though so she's probably just doing what she's told but it just seems odd. I think I'm going to do what other people have the most success with and what feels right to me, protein and veggies. Thanks for your input!

AccrualWorld
on 11/9/18 7:42 am

Yes that's basically what I've been doing, nodding and smiling but knowing I'm not actually going to do that haha. Thanks for your input!

AccrualWorld
on 11/8/18 7:06 am

I've seen the nutritionist 3 times now, with one more left to go before we can submit for insurance approval. For the most part she has been telling me exactly what I have already learned on my own regarding how I should be eating after surgery, except for starches. She showed me what my plate should look like once I start eating solid foods, and it was protein, vegetables, and starch. She said I should work around the plate in a circle, and if during my first meal I can only get through the protein and veggies, at the next meal I should start with the starch, so I can keep going in the circle of the plate throughout the day. It seems to me like the most successful people that I've seen are the ones that say "Always protein first for every meal, avoid starches". I feel defiant if I don't follow what she's saying but I also want to be as successful as possible especially in the first year. Did anybody else encounter this? Did you defy what you nutritionist told you?

AccrualWorld
on 10/26/18 3:08 pm
Topic: RE: Are there many VSGers that lost 50% of total body weight?

WOW!!! That is so impressive, great job. Did your doctor try to talk you into bypass over sleeve? My doctor wasn't trying to pressure me or anything, he just suggested I consider bypass due to my BMI but sleeve just feels more comfortable to me. I want to put all my effort and dedication into this to be a success, even though I am well aware that it will be extremely difficult to fight myself and my own bad habits. Thanks for your input!

AccrualWorld
on 10/26/18 3:06 pm

That's incredible! I am nervous about developing reflux and the possibility of another surgery, it sounds like it's kind of a crap shoot though on whether you develop it or not. Thanks for your response.

AccrualWorld
on 10/26/18 3:04 pm

Wow those are great numbers! I don't know if I've ever had a healthy BMI so that would make me extremely happy as well! Thanks for your response.

AccrualWorld
on 10/19/18 10:08 am

Wow we are SO close in starting stats! I am 5'8" highest weight 325, current weight 316, and we are close in age too. Looking at your monthly weight loss is super inspiring! I see your surgiversary is coming up, congratulations! And I will be stalking you as I want your level of success. I definitely agree BMI is flawed but it's an easy starting/reference point. Thanks for your response

AccrualWorld
on 10/19/18 7:44 am

That is amazing! Thanks so much for sharing. I need to lose about 150 so your story is a perfect motivator!

AccrualWorld
on 10/18/18 5:33 pm

Yes those are really good points. I've been doing so much research, reading through this forum, watching youtube videos, reading statistics, etc, and a common theme is to stay involved and keep your support system close. Thank you!

AccrualWorld
on 10/18/18 5:31 pm

That's amazing and super inspiring! It's funny that once I decided to pursue surgery, I kept thinking in my mind that I should have done it years ago. But I think that's the way most things in life go when you do something to better yourself.

Thanks so much for sharing your stats and for your encouragement.

AccrualWorld
on 10/18/18 1:46 pm

That is very inspiring! I am terrified of going through all of this only to be a failure, so the successes definitely amp me up that it's possible to achieve exactly what you want and need. Thank you :)

AccrualWorld
on 10/18/18 8:30 am

I am about half way through my 90 day nutrition program prior to surgery approval. I have been having a very hard time deciding which surgery, since I originally had my mind set on VSG but my surgeon suggested that people with a BMI higher than 40, especially women, tend to see better results with RNY and my BMI is 48. But RNY makes me nervous for various reasons.

Anyway, I have about half of my body weight to lose in order to be at a "normal" BMI. I've read a ton of statistics and I realize "typical" is losing 60-70% of excess body weight. So I'm mostly curious how many real life people lose 100% of their excess body weight and/or achieve 50% total weight loss? I obviously want to lose as much weight as possible which makes RNY more appealing but I don't know if the difference is worth it regarding my concerns against RNY.

BTW I am 32 years old, since it seems like age can be a factor in results. Thanks in advance!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views