I'm a LW...Most Days Resent my RNY...Some Days are "Ok"

southernlady5464
on 3/27/11 11:41 am
my hiccups tell me stop eating (some get a runny nose),

I sneeze. Dh can tell when I am full cause I start sneezing, It's almost funny. :) At least I don't get sick (well, I came close ONE time in 8 weeks but that was it). I think we all have different "full" signals, regardless of surgery.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Mrs.M
on 3/27/11 11:45 am
 I'm so sorry to hear how frustrated you are getting.  Please try to be patient.  From your avatar I think you must be quite young so it is understandable that you are beating yourself up for not having "done it on your own."  I just had my RNY a few months before my 55 birthday and I can tell you every heavy person I have ever met, even the ones who have been successful with weight loss surgery have days when they wonder why they couldn't do it on their own.

If we could, we would.  Many of us did. Over and over and over again.  Now we have a fighting chance of long term success.  Long term, it will come from our heads, and not what we put in our stomachs.

I have been a very slow loser as well, with many, many days stalls.  They are incredibly frustrating because my head tells me the weight loss is over.  I didn't think to take my measurements either so I can't use that  as a measure of success. (Though, on the days when my husband calls me skinny (ha ha), it usually means I have lost a pound-go figure!)

For me the greatest feeling of success has come from the endless parade of NSVs-those non scale victories like realizing someone is flirting with me, or being able to bend over and tie my shoes, or going 30 minutes on the elliptical.

Give it time. You are going to lose it, on your own, because that is the only way to do it.  The surgery just helps the process.

Janet

loverofcats
on 3/27/11 11:48 am
I was a slow loser in the beginning. First of all, I gained about 8-9 lbs of fluid from the IV's in the hospital. I spent the next 9 days letting go of that, and at my first visit with the surgeon at 9 days out, I had lost a total of ONE POUND. The next 3 weeks I lost more and my total for month one was 12 lbs. Lightweights lose at a slower rate, so you won't see the huge losses/week that men and SMO people experience.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Ladytazz
on 3/27/11 12:02 pm
I wish I could wiggle my nose and make the next year fly by for you. I understand. Patience is not my long suit either. I would rather be on this end of the journey then the start, that's for sure.
I had WLS 8 years ago and at first it was like magic. Lost weight no matter what I did. Things were a little different then and I really thought I would never have to diet again in my life. For the first few years it was like my dreams had come true and I could eat whatever I wanted and still lose weight. Of course reality came, along with most of the weight I lost. Last year I had a revision, not because I had regained my weight but because of other problems. Even before that I found that I could lose weight by cutting out all the refined carbs. Guess what. I could have done that without having major surgery. Add into that a stomach that was left too large and an appetite that never left and I just could not stick to any healthy eating plan.
So now I have had my revision and I have lost the weight doing exactly what I used to do before surgery. No magic bullet or quick answers. Just eating less and better. What is different now? For the first time that I can remember I am not hungry. I at satisfied eating 1/2 cup of food. I can never remember a time in my life that 1/2 cup of food would have satisfied me. Even on my strictest diet I would eat unlimited amounts of "free" foods like vegetables.
So, it took nearly 8 years but I finally figured out what "tool" meant. WLS doesn't do the work for me, it just gives me a little help so I can do it myself.
Don't know how I will do long term. I don't tend to be optimistic given my history. I think the chances of me regaining my weight is probably greater then most. All I can do is work my tool to the best of my ability on a daily basis and make the healthiest choices I am able to today.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Elizabeth_Ann
on 3/27/11 5:05 pm
Oh sweetie - I wish I could just hug you right now. I am sending big hugs AND prayers your way right now. Take good care of yourself and know that we have all been there. We're here for you now and can give you the support you need.

As far as whether you could have done this on your own - don't think about that any more. The surgery is over with now so there's no going back. Just be thankful for your tool and use it to the best of your ability!

Hugs, 

Liz in Orlando       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/11 8:23 pm
 I think  most of us fear we're the "one  " the surgery will not work for .... particularly right AFTER  surgery when  we're still  adjustingto our tool and /or are in  mental  maybe physical withdrawal from the excess food addiction.  

Don't worry  !!   Ull be dropping  jeans sizes in no time 
Lee ~
on 3/27/11 11:35 pm - CA
Please hang in there.  I had my surgery exactly one year before you.  Month one was ok, month two I only shed 3 pounds.  I've had a very slow go of it, but if you look at my ticker you'll see that I'm getting closer to my goal.  I've had to fight for every ounce lost through careful eating and mega exercise.  We're all different so please don't compare yourself to those that say the weight just flies off.  For some that may be true.  I figure we'll all compare where we are at 5 years out and see how we've done.  I may be losing slower than most, but I know that in the past, if I shed 20 pounds, I'd be up 30 soon after.  I always got bonus pounds.  I was on a diet for 50 years when I had the surgery.  How well did that work??  At least now I stand a fighting chance of getting to my goal and keeping the weight off.

Be kind to yourself.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

readytobeme2010
on 3/28/11 12:21 am - elkton, MD
You all have NO CLUE how much you are TOTALLY encouraging me right now.....Honestly....Everything everyone had to say was EXACTLY what I needed this morning.  I am just about in tears. THANK YOU SO MUCH......I am sure I will look back in a year from now and laugh at my post and probably be able to help someone else in the exact predictament....One thing you all will find out about me, I'm the kind of person who "may be down but NEVER out" !! There is a difference

Oh about me being young I am almost 40 in a few months I have four children of which one is 20 yrs old LOLOLOL

I sure wish I was young no doubt somedays I feel 20 and somedays I feel 80+ no kidding!!!

(((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))) to all my new LW friends!!!

Again THANK YOU for responding so kind and taking the time to do so

lerkhart
on 3/28/11 3:15 am
I hope a year from now you will feel totally different about your WLS.  This is just a tool for us to use to get our bodies used to a different way of living.  Hopefully after the first six months or a year you will have new/better habits for the rest of your life.  It is really easy to slip back into our old habits, that is why support is so very important.  Please take advantage of the support you can find here.

Each day Roz posts Menus and Miles it is great to get into the habit of listing your foods there.  Diana(Mythintime) will post an exercise post and it is great to post your exercise there.   Gina(MajorMom) will post each day she has great vitamin advise.  We have fun post also to get to know each other better.

Hang in there, I know you will be successful!!  Good luck.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
IRAYD8U
on 3/29/11 9:38 am - MONTICELLO, MN
One thing that is certain is this.........we all lose/lost differently!  Some of us gain/gained 20lbs of fluid after surgery.......some don't gain a thing......some lose/lost 2lbs a week steadily......while others like me lose/lost 0-1lb a week for 3 then lose 7-8 in one week and cycle that way.......
When I felt discouraged I made it a point to remind myself that I had this surgery because those 3 week long "stalls" I had every month would have sent me into an eating frenzy......but with RNY....the weigtloss starts up again if you stick to the rules of your tool!......hang in there hun.....it'll happen for you!
                    HEATHER
               Join us on the Lightweights Board
 Ask me about our Facebook Chat Group: OH WLS-Lightweights
  36 years old
5'7"   HW 256 / SW 240 / CW 145 / GW 140
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 303 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 427 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness