I'm okay being a turtle....

Amy P.
on 5/11/11 1:58 am - Liberty Lake, WA
Today is eight weeks!! Wow, I can hardly believe that it has been that long and that I feel so good!

The weight has been coming off as fast as a turtle running a marathon, but I'm finally getting comfortable with that fact!  I think what keeps me going is that it has been pretty consistent, even when I know I haven't been getting enough to eat.  I am still only around 600 calories, but my NUT suggested adding  a banana to my morning protein shakes to up the calories. 

At my high weight of 218 I was a tight 14 and now am able to comfortably wear my 12s---even the dress pants. I am hopeful that as my weight slowly drops that the pant sizes will too! I'm pretty much build like a brick, so I am just now seeing some curves!  Funny though....not a single person has said anything to me about weightloss that didn't know about the surgery.  Maybe I won't look that much different????

I had to travel for work last week and was looking forward to five days without a scale....because what hotel has a scale in the bathroom?  Of course the one I stayed at!  But I went to the grocery store and bought greek yogurt, jstring cheese, jerkey bites and RTD protein drinks to keep my eating out to a minimum. I was also up at 5am every morning so I could go down to the fitness room and workout....it helped that the attorney I was there with was already down there by that time and I didn't want her to show me up!! On the last night we went out to the nicest restaruant in town (small town, not much to choose from!) ....I ordered a $30 Halibut dinner and could only eat four bites. Oh well...I was just happy not to feel like a stuffed sausage walking out of there. 

I think I am finally starting to get the hang of knowing when to stop eating.  I haven't dumped in two weeks (or that bad feeling of eating too fast) and I am feeling pretty good. Starting to try some new foods, although the protein shakes are still my staple with at least two a day.  I was bad with my vits when I was traveling, but am now back on track.

I really am so happy with my decision to have the RNY. Even though the weight loss has been slow, I am still about 35 pounds lighter than I was two months ago and that is awesome!!  And I feel NORMAL.  Thanks to all of you for your continued encouragement... reading all of your posts really help me keep on track.
                                HT 5'3"~HW 218~SW 208~GW 125

MajorMom
on 5/11/11 2:08 am - VA
Can I make a suggestion?  Please don't add a banana. Add a couple of strawberries, or 1/2 cup of blueberries, and another protein shake or 2. Check out the carb count in bananas.

I'm glad you're getting the hang of this crazy ride. It took me a lot longer. lol  Congratulations on your successes so far. Rock on!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Amy P.
on 5/11/11 2:10 am - Liberty Lake, WA
Thaks for the suggestion, Gina!  See, that is why I love this board so much.....

MajorMom
on 5/11/11 2:24 am - VA
Whew! I'm glad you didn't take it as a personal attack on your NUT. I probably would have gotten flamed on any other board.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Amy P.
on 5/11/11 2:31 am - Liberty Lake, WA
My NUT is a skinny little blonde thing that has probably never really had to worry how many carbs are in a banana!!!  She is super nice though. Darn those high metabolism people...

Koko10
on 5/11/11 5:15 am - NC
I was having the same problem that you have. I would loose 1 lb a week. When I increased my calories and protein (tried to get protein to 1000 gr), I lost 3 lbs in 4 days. I also didn't get any exercise that week and I thought I'd messed up but I didn't. I agree that if you try to increase your amounts you may begin to loose more. I add protein powder to my drinks to increase the protein because I am not where I can get it all in food yet. Good luck.

Height 5'0 HW-247; SW- 238; GW-140  

Jane W.
on 5/11/11 6:30 am - Southaven, MS
Congrats on your wt loss, I sure wouldn't call 35lb loss in 2 months a turtle!!!!!  I lost only 8-10 lbs a month and felt I was going good.  Keep on keeping on.

Jane
5'6"    
PamtasticNewLife
on 5/11/11 7:18 am
Getting there whether it be as a turtle, rabbit or snail is the battle. Knowing you will is the victory!

Listen to all these sweet ladies and gents advice. You're doing great!

Please take Ginas advice about the bananas. Yrs ago in never never land people would eat bananas and drink water to help them put weight on temporarily.
Amy P.
on 5/11/11 7:24 am - Liberty Lake, WA
YIKES!   Glad to find out now rather than after gaining a few pounds!!  After Gina's comment I used a scoop of Unjury instead of the banana.  Not as tasty but I know now better for me!

southernlady5464
on 5/11/11 8:08 am
Good going. And I second/third and fourth the suggestion to not have the banana...it could ALSO cause Reactive Hypoglycemia.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 289 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 414 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views