I Think I May Have Found It

Ladytazz
on 7/29/11 4:44 pm
By it I mean an activity I may be able to live with.  I am not proud to admit that I have don't almost no exercise my first year, in spite of being nagged about it by all my doctors.  I know it is important but I have always hated it.  But I have been trying.   Last week I joined my local community center that has a pool and weight room.  I got an annual pass.  I also bought a Wii and Wii fit.  And I had a bike that someone gave me that I didn't like riding because I couldn't figure out the gears and stuff.  Today I was on Craigslist and I found a cruiser bike, almost new, with a basket, lock and bell, for $50.  I somehow managed to get it home in my little car and I took it for a ride this afternoon and I love it.  It is much easier to pedal then the 10 speed.  I managed to ride it to the store and back, which I could never do with the old one.  Now that the weather is nicer I am going to try to ride it every day.  I can also ride it to the community center.
I am trying to get into the habit of exercising to help with my depression.  I don't have any expectations that I will become a fanatic or anything, I just want to find something tolerable that I can do daily.  One of these days I will break out that Wii Fit and see how I like that.  I hope to be able to get in about an hour of activity a day. 

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

MajorMom
on 7/29/11 7:06 pm - VA
Sounds like a great start, Tazz.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

kimberly_gr
on 7/29/11 9:43 pm

I struggle with gettting enough exercise in but find I feel so much better when I do.  Good luck.

Kim
5'0"
"In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet."  Erma Bombeck

Price S.
on 7/29/11 9:53 pm - Mills River, NC
Being more active is great, however you do it.  I do like my Wii fit but it seems to not be good on my knee.

My exercise has gone to the pits since my knee when south.  I still ride or drive the ponies, do all the farm chores, garden but cardio and strengh stuff I haven't done in a while.  The chripractor wants be to be easy with my back, my knee doesn't work, having trouble figuring out what to do.  Thought about getting a personal trainer to help so I don't do more harm than good.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

loverofcats
on 7/30/11 12:47 am
Price, I am so sorry about your knee. What does the Chiro or physical therapist recommend? Could you do any water exercise, assuming of course, that there is even a pool in your neck of the woods. Would you be able to use an ellipitical trainer (non-impact) or a stationary bike or a rowing machine? Even with your knee issues, strength training is still an option and a personal trainer can help you from hurting yourself. I know you get some exercise with all the work that you do with the ponies. That has to count for something. I love my personal trainer, but it can be expensive. OTOH, the alternative is more expensive and depressing. I do not want to put the weight back on. Didn't you used to go to Curves?

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Price S.
on 7/30/11 1:26 am - Mills River, NC
The Chiro worked on it for about 5 months with not a lot of changes.  Bone on Bone is bone on bone.  The orth tried cortisone shot and then 2 weeks ago a joint fluid injection.  It is suppose to take 3-4 weeks to work, if it is going to and it hasn't kicked in yet. I have very limited range of motion in that knee so bikes, rowing, just about anything that requires movement is difficult.  I have gone to Curves for years and love it but am now so limited in what I can do on the recovery boards or machines that I haven't gone much lately.  Water exercise would be good and possible if there were a convienient pool.  Don't mean to whine but it is depressing to lose this much weight and still not be mobile.  The answer is a total knee replacement and I will do that this year, late fall or early winter when my horse stuff windes down. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

loverofcats
on 7/30/11 2:32 am
Price, I think I would be depressed too, if I couldn't be more mobile after losing all this weight. But, it would probably be alot worse, if you were still heavy and facing knee replacement surgery. Now, you are a better candidate and this will help your recovery. It will definitely be challenging, but if it can help your mobility, then in the long run, it will be worth it.

Whine all you like!!! I would be.

Gail
     "          

Price S.
on 7/30/11 1:28 am - Mills River, NC
I replied in the wrong place.  But my reply is there if you look around. Sorry.

loverofcats
on 7/30/11 12:57 am
Congratulations on finding an activity that you enjoy. That is the major battle; finding something that you like. I just started riding my bike about a month ago. It had been sitting in my garage for years and I took in, had it tuned up and the tires fixed. There is something so freeing about riding a bike and feeling the wind against one's face. I really do enjoy it. If your butt gets sore, you might think about getting some bike shorts or capris. They make a world of difference. Padded bicycle gloves also are nice. There are even special bicycle shoes that grip the pedal more effectively and help you to get a full range of motion. I haven't invested in those-yet.

All the research shows that exercise can be as effective as antidepressants for mild to moderate depression. It can only help. I've never regretted exercising, only regretted not exercising. I always feel better after doing so.

Enjoy yourself.

Gail
     "          

Kermit P.
on 7/30/11 1:55 am
I have been thinking about biking.....has been so hot so don't want to try yet but will soon....what is a cruise bike though and how is it different from a ten speed?  I am curious as the last time I tried to ride (8 yrs ago and 50 pounds heavier) I couldnt steer worth crap and almost crashed......

~~Jennifer
HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 300 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 426 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 487 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 506 views