I am worried!

Don27516
on 10/10/11 10:06 pm - NC
 I keep losing weight! I really don't want to lose any more weight but I keep losing. How do I stop the weight loss? I am eating as much as my pouch will hold and many times I feel sick from trying to stuff too much in there. I stopped exercising hoping that might help slow things down. I am 5' 11" tall and I weigh 181.6 pounds. In the past week I have lost 3 pounds. I have my six month check up at Duke in two weeks. I will get to see my doctor and NUT at this appointment as well as have my group meeting. I am just two pounds away from a normal BMI.

southernlady5464
on 10/10/11 10:22 pm
Just for your info, normal for your height is 133 which is an 18.5 BMI  to 178.5 which is a 24.9 BMI.

My husband is having the same issue...he's down to 161.4 which for his height is a 24.2 BMI and we BOTH feel he is getting too skinny and needs to stop it now. He has added protein shakes, started eating every 2-3 hours, and trying to eat more at meals (not doing well there) but he did manage to gain weight this past week going from 160 to 161.4. He's also STAYING away from the scale during the week and only weighing on Sundays.

As far as exercising, keep that up as it builds lean muscle.

I hope you sort it out.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Price S.
on 10/11/11 1:18 am - Mills River, NC
You should be ok anywhere in the normal BMI range so don't get too concerned yet.  Also remember to add good calories, not the stuff that got you into trouble to start with.  I imagine your NUT will have some suggestions. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

cheermonkeysmom
on 10/11/11 2:40 am - Smithsburg, MD
I have the same concerns at times, but have been told numerous times by my surgeon and NUT that  your body will stop where it is comfortable at. Hopefully you don't lose too much more if that's not what you want. Are you drinking enough water? If not, some of the weight loss might be because you are getting dehydrated. I will look forward to any posts you will make after your appointment in 2 weeks to see if your surgeon and NUT tell you anything different. Hang in there.
 Highest Weight - 220/ Date of Surgery - 194/ Goal Weight - 125 CW 122  2nd Goal - 115

newdirectionhome
on 10/11/11 2:42 am
 Don, I am on the other side of this issue. Struggling, losing verrrry slowly, barely in normal BMI after almost a year after surgery.

That said, I can see your worry. However, my surgeon says that it is unlikely anyone will get to a dangerously low weight after surgery. He thinks that the low BMI is skewed negatively because it includes smokers who are often lower weight. In other words, we can weigh less and still be healthy, maybe even healthier than if we hover at the high end of normal.

Just a thought, to hold you over till you consult with your surgeon. You are doing so well. I hope you take some pride and pleasure in your accomplishments.
 Wendy
5'3" SW: 210
Ruthie D.
on 10/11/11 5:17 am - Mayer, AZ
I think you're okay too Don.  Listen to your body and it will stop when it's ready.  For what it's worth, after I hit six months, my average loss per month slowed down by half, so the ol' bod is already making adjustments without me changing a thing. 

Don't stress.  Don't stop exercising.  Many people say to take advantage of it while you can because there can be a bounce back of weight gain after the intestines start absorbing again... which they will.  But, be aware that they start absorbing calories again... NOT the vites and supps we need to take.  You'll still have to take them forever my dear fellow RNY success!  ;-)

Let us hear what your doc says in two weeks.

LIFE'S a REACH...    and then you FLY!!!   
           HW = 224, SW = 204, CW = 124, GW = 119           
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 297 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 422 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 483 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 502 views