Let's Practice our Thanksgiving Comebacks

Mrs.M
on 10/29/11 12:48 am
 Holiday season is upon us and that means snarky relatives and "friends" who think it is their business to comment on our eating habits.

For those of you at or near goal, you may get the, "You are looking too thin, you need to eat more" comments.

For those of you just starting out you may get the "I thought you were on a diet" comments when you reach for food.

For those of you who haven't seen your relatives in a while, or who have kept your weight loss a secret, you may get "You look wonderful.  How much have you lost?  Are you SUPPOSED to be eating that?

So let's get prepared.  How will you answer these naysayers?
Janet

MajorMom
on 10/29/11 1:55 am - VA
Oh yeah, I'm going to need to get some ideas because my parents will be coming up to see the new grand baby in a couple of weeks. Yikes! I hadn't even thought about it.

I guess when they say I need to add some meat to my bones I can ask where they're taking us for dinner?

Roll my eyes and tell them I weigh 5 pounds more than the last time they saw me....

Um...I dunno, I'm out of practice!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Mrs.M
on 10/30/11 12:15 am
I like the where are we going to dinner line.  Or you could just carry a scale with a doctor's note with you.

melizabeth
on 10/29/11 2:43 am, edited 10/29/11 2:46 am - CA
Janet,
I had my first awkward experience last night with a girlfriend I haven't seen in almost a year. I went to see her father at the hospital and she then asked me if I'd have dinner with her. I told her that I would be happy to sit with her while she ate, but I had already had dinner. She insisted I order the chili, so I did. I picked at it for over an hour (probably took 4 tiny bites) and asked the waitress to bring me a container to take it home to my DH. She asked me why I wasn't eating it and I said, "lately my stomach has been a bit sensitive to spicy things, it must be because I'm getting old". She accepted that response and then began to complain about some of her aches and pains. Whew! I got away with that one. As for Thanksgiving, I will be spending it with my two daughters families and they are all aware I have had surgery. So I have no worries there. Yes, I am one of those secret surgery patients. I have had such shame for gaining and losing weight over the past years that I am embarrassed to admit to friends that once again I'm losing weight and tell them how I'm doing it. Only this time I have a tool and will NOT be gaining the weight back. Sorry for such a long story - guess I needed to just get that off my chest.

Elizabeth

Melizabeth

RYN 9/20/11--HW 211--CW120--Extended TT 3/7/13   

GOAL Weight 120 met 18 months post op

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/11 4:42 am
 Elizabeth  (((((())))))) I think in the long run U will be ECSTATIC    that Umade the decision to keep  Ur  WLS to Urself .     I know I  AM  2 and a half years post !! 

I  think U habdked that situation admirably.   As far as other people  butting into MY life goes ...  its amazing the spurious explanations people  will acceptfor not eating  lol ..... 

people  truly dont CARE  !!   im FREE  
Mrs.M
on 10/30/11 12:28 am

Don't apologize!  Sounds like you found a great solution to your friend's questions.  I chose not to keep it a secret because I was tired of lying and feeling ashamed about everything. (Lots of good therapy helped there!)
Funny thing is I still get, "you look like you lost more".  and that's from people that have had WLS too.  I guess they think  that's what I want to hear. LOL  I just tell them 'no' and change the subject.

Price S.
on 10/29/11 4:09 am - Mills River, NC
Oh, I get out of Thanksgiving.  My knee surgery is the day before and I will still be in the hospital.  but I'vve been getting the don't lose any more and I just say I'm done.  then they usually leave me alone.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Mrs.M
on 10/30/11 12:32 am
Price,
I absolutely LOVE your new avatar-you've "un-aged" twenty years!
Sneaky way to get out of Thanksgiving if you ask me LOL
janet

Lee ~
on 10/30/11 12:49 am - CA
Look at you Price!!!  Love the new avi!  :)

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Ladytazz
on 10/29/11 5:16 am
Thankfully no one in my family really mentions my weight or what I eat so I really don't give it a thought.  Or it could be because I just don't make a big deal about it.  I don't ask for anything special, I just have whatever they are making if I can and if I can't I don't say anything about it.  I think we are going to my son's this year for Thanksgiving and the plan, like last year, is to load up on turkey and then have some vegetables and mashed potatos.  The only real difference between me and the others is I don't eat the bread, desserts or anything with sugar or gluten in it but if I don't call attention to that fact no one seems to notice.
As for my weight it sounds strange but no one in my family really has said anything about it.  But they never said anything when I was gaining, either, so either they don't notice or they don't care.  Fine with me in any case.
The only time I think about talking about it is with my DIL because she has PCOS and has been trying to conceive for some time now.  Of course I don't bring it up because it isn't any of my business but I know that WLS can help with that.  She knows I had WLS and I would be happy to talk to her about it if she brought it up but I would never initiate the conversation.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 290 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 415 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views