Introducing myself

Barbara C.
on 4/13/12 12:25 am, edited 4/13/12 12:33 am - Raleigh, NC

Hi All,

Some may know me, but many may not so I thought I'd introduce myself. I had RNY back in June of 2007. My high weight was 267, but I really fluctuated somewhere between 225 and 250 for most of my adult life. For me, my 'turning point' occurred when I had an appointment with my PCP because I hadn't being feeling well and he had run exhaustive labs. I got a call telling me to please come in to see him to discuss the results... Well, we all know that didn't sound like good news. The long and the short of it was that I had an HbA1C of 9.3 and also had a hereditary iron loading disorder known as Hereditary Hemochromatosis. My PCP had been working with me for years and I had dropped and found 25 to 40 lbs., but was never able to keep it off and like the rest of us just kept adding a few to whatever I lost. We had tried everything. I just didn't know what to do. He suggested that I seriously consider WLS and he wanted me to look at all of the options available. My particular PCP has a perspective that I respect and I after a great deal of research and soul searching, here I am.  

I remember when I was going to have my surgery that if/when I shared my upcoming surgery, many people would say things like 'You don't weigh enough for something like that,' 'Why don't you try... instead,' etc... 

I honestly think that this is the best single thing that I have actively done for myself and my only real regret regarding this decision is that it took me so long to do it. I have to say, not only did I lose all of my excess weight, but what I've gained in health and quality of life are immeasurable. I'm still working on how I 'see' myself. Sometimes, I'm not nearly as kind to myself as I am to others. Also, I find that many of my friends, that had more weight to lose and have experienced more issues with excess skin tend to 'dismiss' my concerns/distress over how I feel about how I look. Sometimes, I find that frustrating. While I may not have excess skin issues equal to someone who was SMO, I know that the 'Bat Wings,' 'Turkey Neck', 'Elephant Thighs', and what I call my 'Whelping Dog chest/tummy' may not be 'that bad' to others, it bothers me and I find it frustrating when others minimize my concerns. I think for me, it stems from the knowledge that I wouldn't have those issues had I not done this to myself... That said, I do try to put and get it into perspective, but generally, I don't feel comfortable sharing these concerns in most venues because of the responses I get from others. 

I think that's me in a nutshell... for a closer look, you are welcome to check my profile.

I look forward to getting to know you,

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Eliza55
on 4/13/12 12:28 am - PA
My PCP also recommended that I look into WLS, and has been very supportive throughout the entire process.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Barbara C.
on 4/13/12 3:40 am - Raleigh, NC
Isn't great to have supportive medical care!!?!!

Barbara

Price S.
on 4/13/12 1:38 am - Mills River, NC
Welcome to the LWs, Barbara.  I have always thought you were a voice of reason on the other boards.  Hopefully you will find some support here for your LW issues.  I love the Whelping dog analogy.  Even better than a rock in a sock.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Barbara C.
on 4/13/12 4:16 am - Raleigh, NC

Hi Price,

Thanks for the welcome and the compliment; both are much appreciated. Honestly, I've drifted from OH a great deal over the past few months for a number of reasons, but this group reminds me of what it used to be like on OH and I can't tell you just how delighted I am. 

Glad that the 'Whelping Dog' analogy made you smile. :-)

Barbara

southernlady5464
on 4/13/12 2:07 am
Hi Barbara...welcome to the lightweight board.

We understand the "you don't weigh enough for surgery" "or just diet those lbs off, you can"...I tried to lose and found plenty over the years too.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Barbara C.
on 4/13/12 4:17 am - Raleigh, NC

Liz,

Thanks for the welcome and understanding. 

I look forward to getting to know you,

Barbara

Mama477
on 4/13/12 2:13 am
Welcome!!! Feel free to let loose here anytime. Nothing but good positive feedback.

Meg
  HW 236 / SW 224 / CW 164/ GW 135

Barbara C.
on 4/13/12 4:18 am - Raleigh, NC

Meg,

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and the positivity!! I've been missing it and looking forward... Nice to have found it again! 

Barbara

MajorMom
on 4/13/12 3:05 am - VA
Welcome aboard, Barbara.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!