Just found out I have shingles and the bacteria that causes ulcers.

healthylaurie
on 4/27/12 11:23 am, edited 4/27/12 12:30 am - Seattle, WA
VSG on 04/13/12
Hi All,
I'm feeling pretty good, a bit worn out, but overall pretty good, besides this ra****ches! I saw my surgeon on Wed which was good, but he said they had taken samples from my stomach and found I have the bacteria that causes ulcers, so the great pro-active doc that he is wants me to get right on taking the 3 meds that are used to fight that. Then that same afternoon I started getting this rash right right where my bra is(and over the top of my highest incision) and a bit lower on my chest and upper stomach. Sigh I saw a doc today and they are pretty sure that it is shingles. So I'm taking another med for that. I left the pharmacy with this huge bag full of meds. I came home, did a little planting in the yard and decided I was so worn out from it all that I had to take a nap. I could barely get up the stairs I was so tired. I slept for 3 hours and feel a bit better, still tired, but better.

They said the stress of surgery along with the stress of getting ready to take the real estate exam probably brought the shingles on. If you have had chicken pox, the virus for it remains in your body and a major stress can bringshingles on. I also had a hernia which was fixed in surgery right at this same part of my body, plus the work the doc does on the opening between the esophogas and stomach at this part of my body. So I guess it's not surprising that if I am going to get it, I'm going to get it there.

I'm sure wishing I had had the vaccination! The way they explained it made me feel like something was laying hidden in my body waiting to jump out and get me! LOL Can you tell I lie with a 9 year old boy?

Such is life, all of these things will pass too.... I'm just a bit overwhelmed by it.
Laurie     Height:  5'10" HW 281, Consult 276, SW 269.9, CW 238.7      
Mo1: - 22.2 Mo2:                                      
Price S.
on 4/27/12 11:39 am - Mills River, NC
Sounds like they caught your shingles early and started you on an anti viral med.  That will really help it heal faster and not be as painful.  It is a killer for sure.  I've had them 2x and was miserable.  It is no little rash and really wipes you out along with the pain and itching.  I'm so sorry you have to deal with this but maybe it will be short and easy.  I'm swinging for you.  Take it easy.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

healthylaurie
on 4/27/12 12:26 pm - Seattle, WA
VSG on 04/13/12
Thanks so much Price.  You've had them twice?!  You poor thing.  Do you know if it is possible to get the vaccine after having them to keep from getting them again?  I had no idea you could get them more than once! 

We did catch it early, so hopefully it won't get much worse.  I'm not in pain at all, it just itches like crazy!
Price S.
on 4/27/12 8:59 pm - Mills River, NC
You can still have the shot after you have had shingles.  You can still get them again after that but it is suppose to be a lighter version. 

Sounds like you got it early enough.  The beginning is usually the worse and it just doesn't get better for a while. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Thenewme55
on 4/27/12 3:10 pm - WA
VSG on 01/12/12
Oh Laurie - I'm so sorry you are having such a rough time! I'm just so glad that you saw your surgeon  when you did. Hopefully, taking the meds will make this a short lived problem! And then the shingles...you poor thing! I've not had them but have had friends who have and as I understand they are miserable - I'm pulling for you!.....I'm also going to get a vaccination as soon as possible!

Hang in there!!

HT 5'1"~HW 224~SW 212~GW 124    VSG 1/12/12
-8 lbs pre-op Month 1 -30 lbs, M2 -8, M3 -9, M4 -6.5, M5 -6.5, M6 -6, M7 -3, M8 -4, M9 -6, M10 -6, M11 -2 , M12 -                                                                                                 "You must start with a positive attitude or you will surely end without one."

healthylaurie
on 4/28/12 5:02 am - Seattle, WA
VSG on 04/13/12
Thanks Gwen! 

Oh shoot!   I slept until 11 am this morning(not usual for me, must be all of the stuff going on) and it's almost noon now and I just realized I missed group--darn it!  I was really looking forward to it and getting to see you.  Are you going to go to the next one on Thursday night?
Tonya499
on 4/27/12 3:49 pm - Riverton, UT
I hope you feel better soon!  

Start weight 226. Surgery weight 218 on 1/6/12    
dasie
on 4/27/12 8:39 pm
So glad you caught it early.  The recovery is much easier.  It can b e quite an ordeal.  Glad you have such great doctors.

southernlady5464
on 4/27/12 10:51 pm
IF you've had chicken pox, the shingles virus is inside you. My initial outbreak with shingles was in my 20's when I was under a terrible amount of stress.

Glad they caught everything early!

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Eliza55
on 4/28/12 1:18 am - PA
Glad you got the shingles taken care of.  My Mom had them 3 times, and the last was the worst - they were on her face, and she described it as firecrackers going off inside her head... Let's just say that I got the vaccine as soon as I could!

I'm swinging lizards for a speedy recovery.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 290 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 415 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views