Saggy neck skin

Fangirl_says
on 6/11/12 10:50 am - NC
Apparently, my face was the fattest thing about me when I was obese. When I first started losing weight, everyone commented on how much slimmer my face was getting -- which was great, of course. But now, I'm beginning to really notice the saggy neck skin, and it's kind of bumming me out. I think it makes me look so much older than I really am! Now, people are commenting that I look tired, that I need to sleep more or (worse!) eat more. I guess the saggy skin makes me look unhealthy, too!

I doubt I will ever be able to afford any plastic surgery, since I'm sure insurance won't cover it. I guess there's really nothing else to do about it, though? Does anyone else have issues with this? How do you get over wanting to see a nice, smooth neck again? I'm not ready to look old yet. :(

Eliza55
on 6/11/12 1:32 pm - PA
I have a chicken neck full of saggy skin, so your post interested me.  I don't have any answers, and look forward to what others have to say.  Until then, I just smile alot, so people don't notice my skin.

And everyone tells me to eat more ....except my PCP and my surgeon.  They don't want me to lose any more weight, but neither suggested that I gain weight!  So I'll take that as I'm  OK.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Fangirl_says
on 6/11/12 9:04 pm - NC
It's so reassuring to know I'm not the only one that happens to! Thanks for commenting. :)

Ladytazz
on 6/11/12 4:42 pm
It seems common when you lose a lot of weight that your face will look gaunt and drawn for a while.  Then the fat redistributes and things look much better.  That is why clothing sizes change during maintenance even when weight doesn't.  Patience is about all you can have.  It will get better.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Fangirl_says
on 6/11/12 9:01 pm - NC
Thank you for telling me about the fat redistribution thing! That at least gives me hope -- hopefully, things will look better at some point! :)

Out of curiousity, is that why I seem to have little lumps of fat in odd places? Thankfully, those aren't noticable except to me.

Tonya499
on 6/11/12 8:27 pm - Riverton, UT
 I get a facial (oxygen and vitamin C) monthly, and I use Mary Kay skin products including a Vitamin C anti-aging lotion.  It has helped a lot.  Many people have commented that I look younger now.  Even my doctor asked what I was doing because he said most people look a little haggard at this stage.  It's not perfect, I still look a little wrinkly but it is money well spent IMHO.  I also use my eye cream on the laugh lines.  It's a temporary fix, but it makes me feel better.  

Start weight 226. Surgery weight 218 on 1/6/12    
Fangirl_says
on 6/11/12 9:03 pm - NC
I hadn't thought about a facial; thanks! I'll definitely look for the Mary Kay lotion, too. :)

Price S.
on 6/11/12 9:16 pm - Mills River, NC
i definately went through a time when I looked pretty guant and saggy.  I just kept moisturizing and had some redistribution and it is ok these days.  In fact, my neck and shoulders are one of the nicest parts of my new body.  Give it time and keep slapping the cream on.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

southernlady5464
on 6/11/12 11:19 pm
Mine sagged badly, my face is still gaunt looking and I have bags under my eyes...I definitely look older than I did fat...BUT I don't care. Besides the turkey waddle IS getting better and I remember others saying the fat redistributes...I'm just waiting it out. :)

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Mama477
on 6/12/12 1:14 am
I'll take turkey neck over pork belly today!!!!! Oh my I've come a long wayyyy!!!! Or I'm just in a good mood today!!! Yep good mood!!!

I use moisturizer and sit tall. No neck surgery in my future either. Maybe the arms tho!!!! don't tell my husband.

I've heard oxygen treatments w facials are wonderful!!! I do love how my skin feels w all those salon Products. Just can't afford too often. The Simple line -- at super stores Target, etc. has awesome eye serum, and gentle cleanser. Might try their moisturizer???

Good luck and keep your chin up now has a new meaning!!!

Meg
  HW 236 / SW 224 / CW 164/ GW 135

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 510 views