Hi, New to Lightweights. Got a question

jujubee4224
on 6/19/12 10:47 pm
RNY on 04/09/12
Hi, I'm Julie. I'm new to the lightweight forum. I had RNY on April 9th. I have been reading posts about protein coffee. Exactly how do you make it. My pouch needs warm fluids to start its day and to keep it happy. So glad to be here and meet everyone. Reading your posts have encouraged me, as I have felt that I have been losing at a slow rate, even with the daily exercise.

dasie
on 6/19/12 11:22 pm
Hi Julie...Welcome.  I can't answer your question because I do not know who to make the coffee either.  I just wanted to say hello.

Tonya499
on 6/19/12 11:44 pm - Riverton, UT
 Hi Julie, Welcome!  Firstly, does your plan allow coffe?  I "negotiated" a plan for coffee with my surgeon.  One cup per day, no more, and not until 8 weeks post surgery.  That said, here is what I do.  I mix 1/2 c of 2% milk with 1/2 scoop of unflavored protein powder from Unjury to make a slurry.  (think of making gravy)  Then I mix 1/2 cup of coffee into the slurry and mix it.  I do this twice every morning.  1 cup of coffee, 8 oz milk, 1 scoop of protein powder =  29 g of protein and I don't feel deprived.

Good luck,
Tonya

Start weight 226. Surgery weight 218 on 1/6/12    
rbb825
on 6/20/12 10:44 am - Suffern, NY
Did you ever ask your surgeon if you could have decaf earlier out?  The cafeine would be the only reason for him to not let you have it earlier out since caffeine can cause ulcers and dehydration but if it is decaffinated, there should be no reason to not allow it.

the easiest way to make it is to make the coffee, tea or hot cocoa as you normally do.  Either brewing or via microwave.  Then take the protein powder (I use 1 1/2 scoops and add 1/3 of a cup of warm water and mix slowly with a spoon until it is smooth - no pieces at all.   Cool water will cause chunks of powder and then you need to add more warm water to remix.  It must be totally smooth when done - no powder.

Then add the mixture to the tea, coffee or hot cocoa until smooth and you see no protein mixture.    You can add some milk or creamer to it for taste when done.

One important thing - never add protein powder to any hot mixture - it will totally clump up.

It sounds difficult the first time but once you have done it, it is really easy.  You can also add various flavorings to the coffees, teas and ****oas.  They taste really good.  Try torani and davinci syrups, they are delicious.

these end up being like 35 grams of protein plus - so can really get a good start to your protein stats for the day and if you drink 2 for the day, you are in really good standards.

jujubee4224
on 6/22/12 1:36 am
RNY on 04/09/12
Hi Tonya
Yes, I can have coffee at this time. I tried your recipe yesterday and it turned out good. I was getting tired having coffee and not getting any bang for my buck. It definitely makes it easier to get my calories and protein in.
Thank you,
julie

Tonya499
on 6/22/12 3:25 am - Riverton, UT
Glad it worked out for you.  I grew up in Italy and have been drinking good quality coffee (not counting my 12 yrs in the Navy) since I was 12.  When my surgeon told me no coffee I was kind of freaking out.  Luckily he is a coffee drinker and agreed 1 cup a day wasn't going to hurt anything! 

Tonya

Start weight 226. Surgery weight 218 on 1/6/12    
southernlady5464
on 6/20/12 12:01 am
Welcome to the group, Julie...

Protein coffee made Gina's (majormom) way:
www.obesityhelp.com/member/majormom/blog/2009/07/19/protein- coffee/

With that said, not everyone will like protein coffee...I prefer mine separate. But make sure you also are cleared for coffee...you are still early out.

And just keep connected here. :)

LizLiz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

jujubee4224
on 6/22/12 1:39 am
RNY on 04/09/12
Hi Liz
I will check out majormom's blog. Nice to meet you. I visit OH several times a day for ideas and to see what I can learn from everyone else's experiences..
julie

Jody ***
on 6/20/12 1:18 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
 I started with decaf coffee.

I make mine either 1 of 2 ways.  First way is Majormom's way

2nd way (my lazy way) is to let my coffee cool to 120 degrees then add protein directly to it.  I like to use chocolate protein with a splash of peppermint paddy sugar free syrup.  Its like a mint/mocha latte.

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Turtle Lynn
on 6/20/12 2:36 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Hi Julie, welcome!  

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

Most Active
Recent Topics