X-post: Arthritis ? and yet another "stall". . .

Turtle Lynn
on 11/14/12 9:41 pm - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

. . . . I am so frustrated lol.  I am not too crazy about these "stalls" or slow downs, or recalibrations, or whatever name you want to place on staying at the same weight for multiple weeks .  

I am pretty sure it is because I am not exercising, since my calorie intake is pretty much the same. . .well that and I am not getting in my 100 grams of protein; I am at about 60 gm right now.  I know that makes a difference, and my Dietitian and surgeon both want me drinking 2-3 protein shakes a day, and although I like the ones I have (GNC Lean Shakes) the idea of drinking one right now just makes me gag. . .obviously its a mental thing and I need to get over myself.  My Dietitian pretty much said too bad, so sad, suck it up and drink it anyway. . . .. . .gotta love those Dietitians!

I'm not exercising because I am having a big problem with the arthritis in my lower back, right hip and knee.  I am struggling to even get up the stairs at my 2nd job.  I am gimping around whenever I stand up and walk, it hurts to sit, it hurts to stand, it hurts to breathe. . .you get the picture. . . so my PCP said to stop exercising until this "flare up" settles down.   

She wants me to go see an Orthopedic doc. . .oh joy.  I am not trying to have any steroid shots, oweeeee!!!!  I just had to get x-rays done to make sure it wasn't bone on bone, which thankfully it isn't; though I think it may be time for some arthritis meds. . . . . . . any suggestions?  I keep hearing that Cymbalta is good.  I am going to mention it to my Neuro doc when I go for my appt tomorrow (migraines and daily headaches, oh joy).

I swear, although I am MUCH healthier now than before my surgery, I am starting to feel that the more weight I lose, the worse I feel lol.  Getting older sucks 

Anywho, on a positive note, I am still in the 11/12 skinny jeans, though they are starting to fall off my nonexistent butt heh heh heh. . .I can't quite get into the 9/10 yet.  I got a few pairs of regular 10s on and can almost get them buttoned  I am VERY happy about that. . .and I have been wearing a Large shirt, down from an XL, wooo hoooo!!!!!  My scrubs, I am getting into Mediums.  . . I had to give away all of the Larges, XLs and 2-3x ones I had!!! 

Now, if my belly would just go down more I'd be in heaven. . oh yeah, and my thighs. . .of course if I could exercise, that would certainly help. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . anybody have a magic wand I can borrow to make my belly and thighs disappear? 

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

Price S.
on 11/15/12 2:35 am - Mills River, NC

i didn't stall, ever so I can't tell you what to do about that.......except maybe why I didn't was that I kept my protein up.  I'm lucky because I don't mind, actually love my shakes.  I will tell you the ready to drink ones gag me.  but I love my protein coffee and my crystal light and protein (peach green tea and caribbean cooler for example).  I still do close to 100g of protein a day in suppliments and even at my 2 yr appt, they were very happy with that.  My protein labs are still not quite where they would like them but it isn't from lack of trying.  Find something new you can be happy with and get in that protein. 

Arthritus, man it is a *****  I really thought losing weight would cure my knee but it didn't happen.  I think part of that was that as I got thinner, I got more active and it just kept wearing out.  I did get some relief from joint injections, not cortasone but the joint fluid ones.  Try trameel cream or oral drops.  The cream really helped me.  PT can also do steriod ultasounds, no needles which was wonderful with my hip while I was rehabing my knee.  It isn't easy after surgery but there are some things that may help you to keep moving.  If you can't do your legs, look into some arm exercises.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Turtle Lynn
on 11/15/12 7:16 pm - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

I wish I liked all of the protein powders that you do. . . I would love to drink the cherry and iced tea and all of that, but even the Syntrax stuff I can't choke down, I tried :(

I am going to have to try some that are more soy, egg protein or milk protein based.  If the whey protein (smell & taste) didn't bother me so much I would be a lot better off!!!

Someone on the RNY mentioned the "gel" shots rather than the cortisone ones so I may keep an open mind for that as far as the injections go.  I was wondering if they would send me for PT but no one has mentioned it as of yet.  I think my PCP wants me to see the Ortho so they can handle it lol.  Thanks for the suggestion for the Trameel cream & drops, I've never heard of that, will definitely check it out! 

I hadn't even thought about just doing upper body exercises, thanks, that is a GREAT suggestion!  

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 290 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 415 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views