Light weight DS and RYN???

Jenniflower75
on 5/18/15 12:34 am

I am still considered a light weight even though I have gained most of my weight back.  I have 64 lbs to lose and am wondering if the RYN revision from my sleeve is a dumb idea.. .I'm catching heck from the revision forum for not continuing on to DS. But i'm honestly worried about the malabsorption, my insurance doesnt' cover it, and I'm scared to death of losing too much and not being able to stop. ALSO I'm worried that something will happen to my new job and I will no longer be able to afford all of the many many vitamins and minerals that I have to take with the DS. The RYN doesnt' have nearly as many. So please everyone weigh in and let me know what you think? Am I being stupid for going for the RYN? My health is deteriorating due to my lack of weight loss and my extended time of being morbidly obese. My BMI is 36.1 right now so I'm just barely eligible and my original surgery was VSG... please let me know your experiences etc and your opinions please?

MajorMom
on 5/18/15 2:33 am - VA

You bring up excellent concerns. I so wish surgeons would listen, you could ask for a DS with a longer common channel to counter the extreme malabsorption and not lose your sleeve and pyloric valve.  What would be wrong with asking for a 200 cm common channel. It would make so much sense, but unless your surgeon is open minded, all they hear is DS and think the worst. {sigh} 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Roz !!!!
on 5/18/15 11:15 am - Butler, PA

It was great seeing your Profile picture show up.  I'm glad you didn't change it!! 

I didn't have much of a choice when I made my decision.  It was the Band or the RNY.  I would never have even considered the Band so I had to go with the RNY.  I've been very happy with it!!  I think you can eat around any Weight Loss Surgery but there seems to be more success rate with the RNY and DS.  If my Insurance paid for the RNY I think that would be my choice but you have to make this decision that's best for you.

(((HUGS)))

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Price S.
on 5/18/15 12:18 pm - Mills River, NC

Like Roz, my insurance wouldn't cover a sleeve or DS.  So RNY was it.  But the more I have learned, I should have gotten a DS.  However, you have been struggling with this from the very beginning.  No surgery on you tummy is going to fix your brain.  Please get that straight before doing anything else.  You can out eat any surgery and the bigger surgery, the greater the risk if you are not going to be compliant to the rules.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Jenniflower75
on 5/22/15 3:44 am

I found a counselor that deals with food addiction. I start seeing her next month. I'm excited to see her but for the next couple of days I'm fasting. I need to break my coffee addiction so fasting is it. I also start at curves today. I'm happy about that too. It's hard exercising with fibromyalgia but I'm hoping that since curves is low impact I can do it. we will see.

southernlady5464
on 5/24/15 5:03 am

I only had 68 excess lbs when I got my virgin DS.

And some RNY'er may not need as many vitamins, many SHOULD but they aren't following their labs like most DS'es do. We KNOW we have to stay on top of ours. Plus you already have the first half of a DS, why lose your pyloric valve? AND DS'ers, once healed eat the most satisfying. There is something to be said for being able to only ABSORB 20-30% of the fat you ingest. I use butter (even in my coffee), heavy whipping cream, full fat sour cream, lots of cheese. etc.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 288 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views