Recent Posts

TYSHEA PERKINS
on 12/6/05 4:35 am - Sicklerville, NJ
Topic: Anyone ever have Iritis?
Hello everyone I have a serious question. I was diagnosed with Iritis in September of 2005 I followed all the treatments that my eye doctor gave to the T. Now 4 months later I have Iritis again. I was wondering if there was anyone out there that has had Iritis before or after your RNY. I am becoming very paranoid, I think everything that goes wrong with my body is the cause of me having my RNY. To date all my bloodwork has been normal, I have had no complications since surgery which was on March 3,2005. I am just looking for some information. I googled Iritis but it really doesn't tell me much about it but the general. My eye Dr. is sending me for some bloodwork to see if there is anything wrong with my levels. If anyone has had Iritis or is going through it know please respond. Any info is appreciated. Thanks ] Tyshea 315/189/150
CHRISTAL S.
on 12/1/05 5:53 am - ACWORTH, GA
Topic: RE: Single Mom of preschooler needs to talk to other single Moms please.
HEY ,IM CHRISTAL ,IM NOT SINGLE BUT I AM MOTHER OF KARISTEN 6 AND MACAILYN 4 ,AND I HAVE SEVERAL PROBLEMS BECAUSE OF MY WEIGHT (AND SOME NOT) BUT THEY CAUSE ME TO BE HIGH RISK FOR THE SURGERY AND I AHVE NO SUPPORT FROM MY FAMILY.I AM VERY SCARED TO .I DONT KNOW IF I SHOULD OR NOT EITHER.I REALLY WANT IT ,BUT I ALSO WANT TO BE HERE TO SEE THEN GROW UP ,AND MY FAMILY ASKS WHY WOULD U TAKE THE CHANCE OF LEAVING UR GIRLS MOTHERLESS TO BE SKINNY?IM NOT DOING IT TO BE SKINNY BUIT NO ONE UNDERSTANDS THEY SAY WHY DONT U JUST TRY HARDER U CAN DO IT URSELF IF U TRY!!!SO I KNOW HOW U FEEL ,IM NOT REALLY SCARED OPF AFTER SURGERY JUST OF TH ESURGERY PART AND THE COMPLICATIONS,AND I HAVE THAT LITTLE VOICE SAYING WHAT IF U ...I DONT KNOW IF U SHOULD, BUT I REALLY WANT TO GO INTO THIS 100%SURE ITS WHAT I WANT BUT I DONT KNOW IF I CAN, BUT I THINK IT IS BEST FOR ME ,BUT JUST THE THOUGHT OF NEVER SEEING THEN AGAINS NEARLY KILLS ME ,SO I AM GOING THROUGH TH ESAME FEELNGS AS U ,IF U WANNA TALK!!!!!
JOANNE G.
on 8/14/05 2:57 am - DORCHESTER, MA
I too am in great health, except I am fat. I would give almost anything but my daughter and my health to be thin, or at least less fat, but I worry that I am tempting the fates. I am confident in my surgeon, but he has warned of the risks. In the end I feel that I will live longer and be a better mother having WLS.
marla G.
on 7/28/05 1:25 am - charlotte, NC
Hey girl....I'm a single mother of a 3 year old son.....His name is Samuel tyler and he is my life....I no what your going through....I have Cigna insurance and if ur familiar with them u no what i'v been through....I have been turned down 2 times for lap band.....The first time i was denied because the surgery was still under investigation....this time I did everything they wonted and they still denied me....but i'm still hangin in their. My dr is appealing my chase now am im trying not 2 get my hopes up but its hard I really won't this....Mainly because i wanna be around for my son. I wanna beable 2 do things with him. Right now he is young but I no it will be so hard on him having an over weight mother in school and everything. I went through being teased in school and I would rather not go through it again this time it would be hurting my son...So ne ways I'm here if u need 2 chat..Just e-mail me n e time. I hope everything works out. Keep God first and anything can happen. MARLA
marcy P.
on 7/3/05 7:18 am - new york, NY
Hi, I'm also a single mom of a great 2 year old boy. I know how it feels to be scared cause I'm going through the same feelings. I'm currently getting my lab test done and I'm also exited about this cause I know that when I go through with the surgery I'm gonna have more energy and I won't be inside all the time I'll be able to go with my son to the park, run and play ball with him. we just have to be strong... so If you ever need anybody to talk to let me know I guess were on the same boat. good luck
Natalie K.
on 6/22/05 10:26 pm - Hamburg, PA
Thank you so much for all of your encouraging words. I am more and more confident that I am making the right decision.
Scarlett
on 6/22/05 2:37 pm - NEW YORK, NY
I am a single mom of a 7 year old I was depressed and scared but surgery turned out to be the best thing that I could have done. I am happy my energy is increasing by the week and I am looking forward to next summer.
JLP9805
on 6/12/05 5:43 pm - MI
Natalie, Although I am not a single mom, my son was only 4 yrs old when I had my surgery. I was absolutely terrified that I would die, leaving him without his mother. But I felt that, in order to be part of his life, I needed to have this surgery. I was probably going to die early either way - on the table, or from my co-morbities. I was going to go out fighting! Since my surgery, I am so much more a part of my son's life. I am able to do more things with him. My husband and I have a better relationship, which in turn makes us have a better relationship with our son. I am not nearly as ashamed for him to be seen with me, therefore we go more places. I know it's scary, but so worth it in the end! You will be able to enjoy your life with your child. Good luck to you! Jennifer
sopralto
on 6/6/05 10:35 am - WA
Topic: RE: Any parents out there?
We are researching WLS for our 16 year old daughter. She saw a bariatric MD and he recommended against the band for the following reasons: 1. She has heartburn which makes her esophagus compromised and the lap band can do the same. 2. The amount of weight loss is lower, 30-50% of excess body fat, gastric bypass is 50-70%. 3. Higher failure rate--need to switch to bypass at some point, maybe 4. No long term studies in adolescents. I understand many people are having great success with the band, but it is not for everyone. Our insurance does not pay for bypass for anyone under 20 and she does not have the co-morbidities they require. I am not inclined to wait. I believe the more people weigh when they have WLS the harder it is to reach a normal weight. Also think of the skin issues when it is over. There are so many developmental tasks associated with young adulthood that an obese teen will miss out on. Is it hard to get a job, attend college, date. My daughter is totally committed to having WLS. I am asking her to practice behaviors she will need to be successful. Exercise, avoiding snacking, evaluating her emotional eating. We cannot afford this until next year and then may have to take her to Mexico. (Some people would cringe in horror at the thought, but not us) By the way, I had a gastric bypass 13 years ago, and have suffered very little in the way of complications. I have to take B12 shots to better absorb iron. Otherwise I am very healthy.
davida
on 6/6/05 3:11 am - Reston, VA
Lap Band on 11/09/07 with
I feel you I have a 2 1/2 yr old daughter, and I've been thinking about having the surgery, but I don't have support from family. I'm in perfect health except that I'm fat. Don't think negative thoughts, and negative things wouldn't happen. If you've done your research, and have a excellent doc, just prayer on it. I'm a strong believer of mind over matter. Good Luck Donna
Most Active
Recent Topics
Support for Non-Surgical Members
Cathy W. · 0 replies · 7496 views
How do you....
Sandie E. · 0 replies · 8103 views
test
justin2smart12q · 1 replies · 8152 views