Recent Posts

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 11/19/10 8:05 am
willi928
on 9/18/10 9:07 am - North Brunswick, NJ
RNY on 07/06/10 with
Topic: Singles WLS convention
Hi all

Would anyone be interested in attending a singles WLS weekend event or convention? The locations could maybe fluctuate between north, south, east and west coast each year. I would love to attend something like this with other singles but we would need enough interest before it could be planned. Not sure the exact events that would be involved until we know the around what the head count would be, but I'm thinking support groups, a singles dance, speakers, business expo maybe, etc. Please let me know. Thanks!

'nTycee
I stop worrying about where Ive been and Im looking to where I will be!!

Start weight: 297 (12/09), Day of surgery: 267.2 (7/6/10), Goal Weight: 187 (12/15/10?)

^^^^^^^^^^includes 30lbs lost pre-op^^^^^^^^^^^^     
Sarah W.
on 7/20/10 6:32 pm - Devore, CA
Topic: RE: Reassuring Kids
Being the daughter of someone that has had surgery and now looking into it myself 6 years & 2 kids later I think I understand both sides of your dilemma... When my father had WLS in 2004 I was very apprehensive, I only being 18 and having weight problems my whole life I understood why my father whom was over 500 lbs would want the surgery however I was scared that something would happen to him, I didn't fully understand and yes I did resent him a little for taking the "easy" way out. But I've always tried to be supportive of him. Now that I am looking into having the surgery myself I understand how hard it is, and how hard everyday must be for him.

I think that the best way to comfort them is to explain everything to them, at 9 and 13 they probably understand a lot more then you might first assume, if your Dr will allow you may want to see if you can bring them with you. reassurance from a medical professional maybe helpful.

best of luck to you!!
That_816_Princess
on 6/28/10 4:24 pm - MO
 I hate to say this because your child is just 11, but tell her, SHE WILL GET SICK AND TIRED. When she gets there she will make that change, just like us. Tell her that no matter what you love her and want the best for her. I would tell your ex that the 2 or 3(if he is re-married) need to work as a team for HER HEALTH. 

I will take back my body and take back my health! 
Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Leeshas-WLS-Journey-with-Gizmo-her-pouch/237635902947481 
My YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/TheLovelyRANDOMNESS
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/locdagoddess

That_816_Princess
on 6/28/10 4:22 pm - MO
I too am a single mother of a 15 year old girl that happens to be a size 2-4. Just tonight she stated WHAT IF THEY BREAK YOU. MOM YOU KNOW THIS IS NOT 100% GUARANTEE. I was like 1 I know it is not absolute, that is why I am currently working on changing my eating habits because the surgery is a tool to use to help me get to a healthy weight. 2. I told her that I was already broken and I am trying to fix me so I can be her longer for her. That I am doing this for her too because I want her to live her life. I do not want to get to the point where I will have to rely on her for things. Like going grocery shopping or always having to wash dishes because I cannot stand or walk for periods.

I hope this helps I know it helped me knowing that there are other children out there stressing about their parents health.

I will take back my body and take back my health! 
Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Leeshas-WLS-Journey-with-Gizmo-her-pouch/237635902947481 
My YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/TheLovelyRANDOMNESS
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/locdagoddess

(deactivated member)
on 6/14/10 4:11 am - Richardson, TX
Topic: RE: Explaining your surgery to your kids...
I explained it to my 8yo son, but not my 4yo (as far as she is concerned daddy will just have some boo-boo's on his tummy, and she will spend the next few days bringing me all of her stuffed animals if last year's cholecsystectomy is any indication).  I broke the news to my son during a news segment on obesity & bariatric surgery. He had wandered through the room and stopped to gawk at the operation in progress, so I took advantage of the opportunity to talk to him about it.  At this age he is very curious and asked alot of questions. We talked about how he could be my "helper" and take walks with me, help me do kitchen "experiments" etc.  He seemed concerned but generally ok with it.

So then, the news mentions that the guy died a year later from cardiac problems (awkward! gee, thanks!), and we had a whole different discussion about how risk is relative and that we take those chances everyday - the risks of not having the surgery,  driving in the city, etc, and the tinkgs we do to mitigate those risks like, wearing a seatbelt, pre-op diet and excercise changes, etc.

We talked about the things he is learning in school related to healthy lifestyle, and how it is different from how I was raised, and a bunch of other related topics. Every so often I asked him if he wanted me to tell him more, if it was too scary, if he had heard enough, or if he had more questions.  When we finished, i let him know he could ask me about it any time.

Although it was uncomfortable at times - I am really glad that we did it.

I would say that under seven or so you have to be more careful because they have a more limited vocabulary to express their feelings, which is why I will be MUCH more selective with what I share with my 4yo.

For older kids, i would suggest making sure you ask questions to get a feel for how they are interpreting what you tell them, give them an "out" if they don't want to talk about it, and keep the door open for more questions.
RollTideRoll
on 6/3/10 1:45 pm - Montgomery, AL
Topic: Dr. Mario Alberto Almanza-Reyes
I was just posting this because I've had more people than I thought, write me and let me know how much their sorry and how they are praying. My momma is one of the nicest people out there, I wish that we can individually meet each and every person on this website that are planning on going to Dr. Almanza. I wish I could take you guys through a normal day in my life now that everything has messed up in my life. Going through my last summer as a high school student. I can't have fun... I won't have fun. I want justice to be served!!! I want to save someone's life. Please this is NO JOKE!! I wake up everyday and I think and pray about anybody who's in or going into surgery with Dr. Almanza... I pray for you guys. I don't even know you guys. My mom has been in ICU on a ventilator for 7 days now... my best friend... I can't go see her whenever I want to anymore... visiting hours are precise. My mom won't be able to see the 17th Anniversary of me arriving in this world, because she's too busy going through something that shouldn't have ever happened!!! DOCTORS MAKE MISTAKES... BUT WHAT KIND OF DOCTOR MAKES MISTAKES OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN.. Yes, you might have had a WONDERFUL experience... but listen to the stories people.. just because you were lucky DOES NOT mean that everybody else was. There are many people around the United States and Canada that are dealing with their friends and/or family members DYING with deadly infections, holes in stomachs, esophagus, etc. You guys keep telling your friends to go.... and eventually, you are going to go through what me and my family and plenty other families are going through right now. I'm not trying to harsh Dr. Almanza's "mellow".... I am truly, honestly, and dedicative to preventing as many people from going to this doctor as possible. Please spend the extra money and getting done by someone who is, not only cheap and kind, but dedicated to helping you. Not a doctor who is just going to WHAM BAM over and never see you post-op (to many people). Please PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE..... I am not doing this to get back at Dr. Almanza or anybody that is working over there just because they've done this to my momma. I am doing this to prevent YOU from ever going through something like this. It IS NOT FUN.
Love always and forever,
Miranda
Member Services
on 11/24/09 6:19 am - Irvine, CA
Topic: Health Tracker Updates In Time For The Holidays - Profile Integration and Workouts

Today we released a couple of major updates to Health Tracker just in time for the holidays (as we continue on the path to Health Tracker world domination :). These updates include, 1) Profile display of Health Tracker - If you choose to, you are now able to display/share your Health Tracker within your personal profile. This can be kept completely private, it can be shared with only your friends or with the entire ObesityHelp community. 2) My Workouts - You are now able to build and store custom workouts that can be used over and over again. My Workouts will allow you to log multiple exercise/activity items at one time so you don't have to search for individual exercises each time you want to log your activity or exercise session.

Profile Display of Health Tracker .

The profile display of Health Tracker includes Body, Food Log, Exercise Log and the Macronutrient Report. As mentioned above, this can be kept entirely private or you can choose to share your Health Tracker information with friends, family, your bariatric surgeon or other clinicians.

In order to see the profile view of Health Tracker, when viewing your profile or another member's profile, look for the Health Tracker link to the right of the avatar. If there is no Health Tracker link, the profile view of Health Tracker has been set to private.

The privacy settings for Health Tracker can be found in the "Settings" section of My OH. To access your Health Tracker setting click My OH at the top of any page on ObesityHelp, select "Settings" on the left, click the Health Tracker tab and choose the "Sharing" option. Or, just click here to access your Health Tracker Sharing options :)

Workouts

My Workouts makes it quick and easy to log routine exercise and activity. For those who perform similar exercises on a regular basis, with My Workouts you can create a workout consisting of a series of exercises you often perform and instead logging each exercise indivivudally, My Workouts allows to log a single item (a workout) that contains all of the exericses you have performed. Build it once and log it any number of times.

Under My Workouts you will see a list of workouts that you have created and saved. You can log workouts directly from My Workouts by selecting "I did this", choose the day and click "Save"

You can also search for workouts you have created directly from your Exercise Log.

Create your first workout now!

One other addition

For your convenience, in this release we have also made some changes to the account deactivation process. In case you ever have the need to deactivate your ObesityHelp account, you can access this function by clicking My OH at the top of any page on ObesityHelp, select "Settings" on the left, and under the "General" tab select "Manage". Instructions for deactivating your account can be found there.

Have a great Thanksgiving and look for more updates soon!

If you have any questions, comments or concerns about this release, please post them in this thread on the Main Message Board.

K. kgbb
on 11/7/09 7:59 am
 I have an 11 year old daughter who is overweight and she was very negative/angry acting before I had the surgery, making comments that I'll be skinny and she'll still be fat.
I tried to talk with her about eating healthier WITH me, but it kinda goes in one ear and out the other.
She complains about her weight all the time, but I can't get her to change her eating habits.  i don't keep any junk in the house and never have, but I do catch her trying to overeat at home and I stop her.  Problem is she goes to her dad's and they take her out to eat and buy her candy and junk all the time.
I don't know what to do for her while all I can eat is soup or spaghetti o's and chili from a can.
When I can start making grilled chicken and veggies, it would help a lot having her eat good food at home anyway.  I'm also planning on getting a Wii Fit Plus and hoping to get her to do some exercising with me.

Member Services
on 10/16/09 8:23 am - Irvine, CA
Topic: Health Tracker Update: Meals and Reports

Last week we released two major updates. First was the public release of OH Groups where any ObesityHelp member can now create their own Group. Second was the addition of Activity Tracking to Health Tracker, which provides a robust and easy to use tool to track and monitor your exercise and activity. Today we have added My Meals and an Activity vs. Weight Loss Report to Health Tracker. 

My Meals

My Meals allows you to group and store multiple food and beverage items as a custom meal that can be used over and over again. If you have meals that you eat on a regular basis, you will no longer need to log each food item individually. 

To access My Meals, go to your Health Tracker in My OH and click on the Nutrition tab. You will see My Meals listed under Nutrition.
Creating a new meal works similar to your Food Log. You can search for food items on the right and add the foods to the meal on the left. A Calorie Breakdown chart and Nutrient Summary Label are also available for each meal.

Once a meal is created you can add that meal to your Food Log from My Meals by clicking "i had this" or you can search for the meal from your Food Log.
When searching for a meal to add to your Food Log, all meals will be returned when "My Foods" is selected in search. So, to "drill down" on meals that you have created, select to only show "My Foods." When a new meal is created it may require up to 30 minutes for that meal to be indexed and become searchable.

Activity vs. Weight Loss Report

Adding to the Macronutrient and Export Reports previously available, there is now an Activity vs. Weight Loss Report. This report will allow to compare Average Time in Activity vs Weight over time, providing you with further insight into what impact physical activity as on weight loss and weight loss maintenance. In Health Tracker, click Reports and then select Activity vs. Weight Loss.

We hope these additions to Health Track reduce the time required to log your daily food intake and makes it easier to view how physical activity impacts your weight.  

Create your first meal now!

If you have any questions, comments or concerns about this release, please post them on the Main Message Board.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Support for Non-Surgical Members
Cathy W. · 0 replies · 7496 views
How do you....
Sandie E. · 0 replies · 8103 views
test
justin2smart12q · 1 replies · 8152 views