Nashville Nutrition and Emotional Wellness

Recent Posts

Truly Trina
on 5/8/09 3:24 am - Nashville, TN
Topic: Protein Bars

Protein bars… Are they really good for you? This is a hard one to talk about because it is one of the most popular ways in which people are attempting to get their protein. And lets face it we all are in the same boat. We want convenience, protein, and that ever so “comfort" feeling of having something sweet. Believe me we all live on the same street so to speak. 

I have been down the proverbial “protein bar" road and for me I not only found it be a weight loss staller but a nutritional compromise as well. Why? Well, from my research (and I will try to not let my science geek side show through) it seems to be somewhat of a challenge for creators in the lab to come up with or create a “protein bar" that is high in a good quality protein source while also containing few carbohydrates as well as being low in fat. For example, look at a 3 Musketeers. It has about 8 grams of fat. Do you think that is a lot? It is a candy bar right? Well many of the protein bars out there contain nearly if not as much fat as some candy bars. Granted candy bars have more carbs, simple sugars and less protein but what is really in that “protein bar" that seems to make the nutritional value numbers look more appealing?

While in the lab, creators attempt to make a high protein bar and while doing this it is necessary to include something that will keep the bars soft and pliable or chewable if you will so that they don’t become a protein brick necessitating a trip to the local dentist. Glycerin is something companies use quite a bit. Glycerin or glycerol represents the fatty acid side chains in the creation and are what we commonly know as fat. (still trying to not be geeky here). In other words Glycerin is generally used to make a bar stay soft, while in the presence of ever increasing amounts of protein, by trapping water within the bar.

When given, glycerin has a hydrating/dehydrating effect. Glycerin has an ability to hold onto water. This could explain why bars produce stalls in some weight loss efforts.

The flip side to that is Glycerin’s water binding ability helps keep bars soft and may also be of benefit to endurance athletes and bodybuilders. Endurance athletes can use glycerin in combination with extra water prior to an event in order to support hydration and enhance their performance. But in reality I do not see many bodybuilders and endurance athletes here. However, we do have some and my hat is off to them for sure.

What does all this mean for the bar eater? It may help to have a better understanding of what it is exactly that you are eating. The government has yet to go after any companies not labeling glycerin correctly and they may never. Unfortunately this leaves you and me left not knowing how much glycerin we may be getting in your favorite bar. Call them and ask if you want to know and it is not on the label. Any reputable company will gladly give you that information.

So is the consuming of glycerin a negative thing? I don’t really know for sure, but for those of you attempting to monitor your daily nutrient intake you should be aware of how glycerol can affect your individual body chemistry and most importantly your goals. Consuming a bar once in a while when you are in a hurry is certainly preferred to as say a Big Mac, but I believe they should not be an option. Bars are by no means equivalent to a good well balanced meal of REAL FOOD.

The glycerol is just one drawback to the “protein bar", there are other reasons but this should give us somewhere to start and something to think about. You would be much better off packing a stick of cheese and 100 calorie pack of raw almonds for one of those I gotta have something times…. Keep it Real….

Trinafat05-19-06-1.jpg 100 x 75 picture by trina_davis_photoTrinaandBobbieJuly2008-1-2-1-1.jpg 63 x 100 picture by trina_davis_photo*Member of Student Dietetics*  *Certified support group leader Obesity Help*  Patient Rep support group moderator Vanderbilt Center Surgical Weight Loss
Start weight 277    Reached my goal weight 115

Truly Trina
on 5/8/09 3:10 am - Nashville, TN
Topic: Keep It Real

It is very easy to get off course or side tracked during our WLS journey. But if I can share just one thing that I have learned that would be to “KEEP IT REAL".

What I mean by that is our food choices should come from real and natural food sources. This is incredibly difficult for most of us for many reasons. Most of us were raised on fast food and many of us simply do not have the time to go to the market every other day and then spend an extra amount of time planning our meals and snacks for the day. Who has that kind of time? However, this is where the rubber meets the road…. In order for us to succeed we HAVE to make the time.

It is imperative to make our daily food selections in advance as routine for our day as it is for lets say taking a daily shower. Protein should be supplied liberally from plant sources, such as beans, nuts and soy, poultry, eggs, fish and meat a few times a week. Try to consume cheese and yogurt on a daily basis, but in small amounts.

In the early stages of WLS your nutritionist will guide you through meeting your daily protein goals. This is a critical time, you have just had major surgery. As you progress and heal you will be moved on to different food phases and this is where they will pull you back from protein shakes, (if any had to be added) they want you to get your protein from real food sources. There’s a couple of reasons for that, one being that synthetic man made proteins are inferior and not a good choice. All protein sources do not have equal value. Two would be that it is not recommended for you to ingest anything over 20 - 25 grams of protein at one time because it is very hard on the kidney’s. Have you ever read a post where someone stated that they just had a protein drink that had 30 grams of protein and added 2 scoops of protein mix to it to make it add up to about 50 or 60 grams of protein so that they had their requirement met for the day? YIKES….. Probably be the same poster that you read about in the hospital with kidney stones…. Not always, but you have to say probable.

Have you ever seen the nutritional value of a real natural food touting 30, 40, or even 50 grams per serving? No, and there is a reason.

Now here is another not so popular topic, PROTEIN BARS. Did you know that Protein supplements have turned into a multi billion dollar enterprise, and with the increased popularity of WLS over the recent years this number has sky rocketed. Unfortunately, due to increasing popularity there are many companies on the market that have sprouted up, driven purely by sales and marketing out to make a quick dollar. I think I will start another topic thread dedicated solely to Protein Bars because it is a topic solely within itself and understandably so.

Acknowledge the choices set before you and choose a new direction that creates a strong desire and dedication to your weight loss goals.. Try to KEEP IT REAL, it is so worth it.

Trinafat05-19-06-1.jpg 100 x 75 picture by trina_davis_photoTrinaandBobbieJuly2008-1-2-1-1.jpg 63 x 100 picture by trina_davis_photo*Member of Student Dietetics*  *Certified support group leader Obesity Help*  Patient Rep support group moderator Vanderbilt Center Surgical Weight Loss
Start weight 277    Reached my goal weight 115

ErikaAnn
on 4/13/09 11:05 am - MT. JULIET, TN
Topic: RE: Just wondering......
Hi, Susan! I had a lap RNY on 2/2/09 by Dr. Richards, and haven't had ANY problems so far!(I think the man is a genius!!!) I didn't have any tubes post-op.  A friend gave me a MagicBullet-like blender she got from Aldi's and it has worked great.  I haven't bought anything else.  Everyone on the forum said not to get too attached to certain protein drinks before surgery, because your taste buds may change after surgery--and mine DID! Wait til after surgery to try samples(I ordered a sample pack from Bariatric Advantage before surgery to have them on hand for after surgery to try).  Hope everything goes well for you and WELCOME! to NNEW!  Erika

2Corinthians 5:7

Susan L.
on 4/4/09 12:22 am - Russellville, KY
Topic: Just wondering......

I would like to know if anyone has experienced complications and if you are a few years out have you experienced any long term or new complications that you were not expecting?

I am in my 5th month of my 6 month supervised diet. I have not gotten a surgery date yet. I am going to have the lap rny. Dr. Richards will be performing my surgery, I would like to know if he usually has his patients tubed (J tube? or ng tubed) post surgery. Will there be heparin shots? I guess I am trying to prepare myself mentally.

I am feeling like I need to get things in order. I have been wondering what was most helpful to you post surgery and/or what appliances that I may need to purchase that would make life easier, if any.

I would appreciate any advice and/or stories. Thanks......

barbiej
on 3/27/09 10:31 am - Goodlettsville, TN
Topic: RE: Thought ya'll might enjoy cinnamon!!
I never thought is would come in pill form. Hummm  Thanks for the info. MySpace Graphics MySpace Comments & MySpace Layouts
Barb

barbiej
on 3/27/09 10:23 am - Goodlettsville, TN
Sorry my dear it has taken so long to respond, but I'm back now, yummmmmmie!!!!  Raisins for some reason, I don't tolerate as well, I don't know why, maybe the natural sugar content. But walnuts are a good thing, I know that my Dr. (pcp) wants me to eat 9 almonds per day, they are good for your heart. I just found them kinda hard to chew with your teeth out! Yippss!! MySpace Graphics MySpace Comments & MySpace Layouts
Hugz & Luv Barb

barbiej
on 3/27/09 10:15 am - Goodlettsville, TN
I wish that I'd heard more about the benefits of it and diabetics awhile back, I sure could of used this info. I haven't tried the cardmaster vanilla with cinnomon yet, but it is on the list to try. MySpace Graphics MySpace Comments & MySpace Layouts
 Barb

barbiej
on 3/27/09 9:55 am - Goodlettsville, TN
That's what I say!!!! YUMMMIE!!!! I even love the smell of apples & Cinnomin, Hummmm wonder if that has any value??? MySpace Graphics MySpace Comments & MySpace Layouts
Hugz Barb

Cathy W.
on 3/25/09 3:46 am
Topic: CONGRATULATIONS - Your Group is a Featured Group!
Hi Trina and your OH Group Members,

I wanted to let you and your OH Group members know that you are one of our Featured Groups on the Group home page.

Check it out:  www.obesityhelp.com/group

Thanks for all you do as an ObesityHelp Support Group Leader!

Again, congratulations,
Cathy

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

cdouglas
on 3/23/09 3:25 am
I use cinnamon alot. I noticied at Walmart there are now cinnamon pills. I think they also say cinnamon is good for the heart probably because of the triglyceride and chol. help.