Nashville Nutrition and Emotional Wellness

Recent Posts

Bob L.
on 1/30/09 1:06 pm - Clarksville, TN
Topic: RE: Breathing Exercises
Oh I've been running around from coast to coast.

Bob L.
on 1/30/09 1:02 pm - Clarksville, TN
Topic: RE: Dr. Dunn
It's my understanding that she is a new surgeon. She 's the one that headed up the Surgical Class I spoke too.

Truly Trina
on 1/30/09 6:35 am - Nashville, TN

Hey Bob,

Is Dr. Dunn a new WLS surgeon at Vanderbilt or is Dr. Dunn an assistant to Dr. Richard’s?

Trinafat05-19-06-1.jpg 100 x 75 picture by trina_davis_photoTrinaandBobbieJuly2008-1-2-1-1.jpg 63 x 100 picture by trina_davis_photo*Member of Student Dietetics*  *Certified support group leader Obesity Help*  Patient Rep support group moderator Vanderbilt Center Surgical Weight Loss
Start weight 277    Reached my goal weight 115

Truly Trina
on 1/30/09 6:14 am - Nashville, TN
Topic: RE: Breathing Exercises

Hey Bob,

This is great useful information…. Thank you… Our friend Scott always reminds us to breathe… So now our dear friend Bob helps us do that easier…. Now if I can just figure out how not to fall asleep when I lie flat and grab two small available pillows…LOL

You know I have heard about poor breathing habits robbing energy and negatively affecting mental alertness. When I get completely stressed out, when I think about this, my breathing patterns do change. Isn’t that wild. Seems like there are so many things we have to learn to take control of in these complex bodies of ours…

So, where you been lately Bob? Haven’t seen much of you lately….

Trinafat05-19-06-1.jpg 100 x 75 picture by trina_davis_photoTrinaandBobbieJuly2008-1-2-1-1.jpg 63 x 100 picture by trina_davis_photo*Member of Student Dietetics*  *Certified support group leader Obesity Help*  Patient Rep support group moderator Vanderbilt Center Surgical Weight Loss
Start weight 277    Reached my goal weight 115

ErikaAnn
on 1/29/09 5:07 pm - MT. JULIET, TN
Topic: RE: I'm not sure about this
Thanks, Bob.  I do know the answer. and the answer is, What else CAN I do? Thanks for your encouragement.  YOU are a great inspiration!  erika

2Corinthians 5:7

Bob L.
on 1/29/09 10:07 am - Clarksville, TN
Topic: Breathing Exercises
How important is breathing! OK besides the obvious!!
A 20% reduction in oxygen blood levels may be caused by the aging process and normal breathing habits. Poor breathing robs energy and negatively affects mental alertness. Unless breathing is exercised, aging affects the respiratory system as follows:
Stiffness: The rib cage and surrounding muscle get stiff causing inhalation to become more difficult. Less elasticity and weak muscle leaves stale air in the tissues of the lungs and prevents fresh oxygen from reaching the blood stream.
Rapid, Shallow Breathing: This type of breathing, often caused by poor posture and weak or stiff muscles, leads to poor oxygen supply, respiratory disease, sluggishness, or heart disease.
Breathing exerciser's are one of the best defense against stress and anxiety. I will attempt to post a series of breathing exercise I hope you will find useful. 
Belly Breath Exercises!
The following exercises are simple ways to deepen breathing and to cleanse the lungs. These exercises will also increase energy and decrease tension.
Lie flat on your back to get a proper sense of deep breathing. Have some small pillows available to reduce strain by tucking them under the neck and knees. The natural course of breathing in that position will create a slight rise in the stomach upon inhaling and a slight fall upon exhaling.
Place your hands plam down on your stomach at the base of the rib cage. Tthe lungs go that far down. What fills them deeper is the pushing down of the diaphragm. The diaphragm creates a suction which draws air into the lungs. The air is then expelledwhen the diaphragm pushes up. In this process, the life-giving oxygen fills the lungs and gets into the blood stream for distribution to the cells. Carbon dioxide is expelled fro the blood into the about-to-be exhaled breath, thus causing cleansing the body and blood of waste products. Lay the palms of your hands on your stomach just below the rib cage, middle finger barely touching each other, and take a slow deep breath. As the diaphragm pushes down, the stomach will slightly expand causing the fingertips to seperate somewhat.
This movement indicates full use of the lungs, resulting in a truly deep breath rather than the "puffe chest" breath experienced by many as the greatest lung capacity. Chest breathing fills the middle and upper parts of the lungs. Belly breathing is the most efficient method. Infants and small children use only this method until the chest matures. The Yoga breath or roll breathing combines belly and chest breathing.
For best results, practice this exercise for 5 minutes.
More to come, I hope you find this of value.
C'ya Bob

Bob L.
on 1/29/09 9:10 am - Clarksville, TN
I've had some contact with Dr. Dunn, I've found her to be very personable, as well as knowledgeable. I know one of her functions is teaching the surgical students. I would personally feel very comfortable with her as my surgeon. Hope this helps. C'ya Bob

Bob L.
on 1/29/09 9:04 am - Clarksville, TN
Topic: RE: I'm not sure about this
Erika, Its normal to have all the symptoms your having usually your through the worst of itby day 5. Drinking broth or bullion will help ease some of the symptoms.
As far as should you or should you not go through with WLS only you know the answer and I think you do. Just remember its not uncommon to get cold feet, but keep things in prospective, remember what you've accomplished this far. Right now your doing everything on will power after WLS the tool will support you. Good luck! C'ya Bob

BellBuckleGal
on 1/28/09 10:41 pm - Bell Buckle, TN
Topic: Dr. Dunn
Has anyone gone to see Dr. Dunn at Vanderbilt?  I received a voicemail yesterday stating that I have an appointment with Dr. Dunn.  This is out of the blue and with no explaination.  I was wondering if anyone could tell me their impressions of her and if she was helpful.  I'm starting to think that Vanderbilt is stalling more than my insurance!!!!!!!!!!!
ErikaAnn
on 1/28/09 6:53 am - MT. JULIET, TN
Topic: I'm not sure about this
First I feel awful.  Headache, tired, listless... This is only the 4th day of my 8 day pre-op CIB diet.  I won't list all the physical*TMI*symptoms, but I am able to keep my family amused with my gastric gurgitations.  I'm not sure I can do this surgery.  Sometimes I think I can and sometimes I don't.  Sometimes I am so sure this is the right thing for me and other times I think, well maybe I can just diet. But then I think of dieting in the past and how that really did just make me gain overall.  I keep thinking, AFTER surgery I will get REFRIED BEANS and sometimes that helps.  help....erika

2Corinthians 5:7