Post_Op_PRs

Groups » Post_Op_PRs » Discussion » Ok Thanks to the Po...

Ok Thanks to the Post_Op_PRs.......I am registered for my half!

kerniec
on 3/22/10 5:29 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14

Thanks to our chat Thursday eve and getting really excited about our group and representing OUR team this weekend, I registered today for the Cleveland Rite-Aid Half Marathon on May 15, 2010, it's official!

I am so excited.........when I ran my 5K PR on Saturday my only regret was that I didn't already have the gear.  I was really struggling with being "out" on Facebook and I'm still not sure that I want to be BUT I'll deal with those feelings and make a decision.  It's hard when you've worked so hard to be so much more than "just" a post-op who exercises.........becoming an athlete and maintaining weight loss is so much more than surgery..........

I'm going to the Y today to design my lifting/cross-training program, I am so excited! 

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

Jeff B.
on 3/22/10 2:24 pm - Gilbert, AZ
Good for you, that is awesome. I read the notes from the chat and I too think it is important for everyone that wants to participate in the team, to stretch themselves. So that is a great committment. Good luck with your training and keep us posted how your workouts are going.

Jeff Benintendi
kerniec
on 3/22/10 10:23 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
Thanks Jeff.  I always had intended to do either a May, Sep or Oct half........but I've had so many knee problems I kept chickening out.  But I decided that even if I have to walk more of it than I want, I'm going to do the one in May so I can hopefully run a lot more of the half I do in the fall.  The Air Force one is HUGE here, like unbelievable but so expensive, so I'm not sure if I'm doing that one or the River Corridor the following month which just happens to run close to my neighborhood............

I've accepted that I will be a runner with bad knees.  :-)

DANCBJAMMIN
on 3/22/10 10:38 pm - Fort Worth, TX
That a girl!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Seht
on 3/23/10 3:16 am
Way to go!

That is awesome and you will truly enjoy the feeling of finishing that first Half Marathon.
It really did make all those memories of the boring treadmill runs, and the less than stellar training runs fade into obscurity. 

Good luck with your training. 

It's worth it.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

kerniec
on 3/23/10 3:20 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
Scott - Thanks!  I am nervous because of my knees and asthma.........even at the 5K a well meaning idiot had to comment on my need for an inhaler at the finish of the race.........I HATE it and it always diminishes the joy I have at events when people bug me about it.  I always use my inhaler, I have it, and it doesn't MATTER I will still sound like I'm dying........even if I'm not. 

The knees may be a result of having been obese but my biggest obstacle, my lungs, well they've always been this way............I just need to come up with a good response to shut these people up in a nice polite but scathing way.  :-)