VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Daily Maintenance W...

Daily Maintenance Weigh In - Saturday, Nov 27/10

Maintaining Cindy
on 11/26/10 9:19 pm, edited 11/26/10 10:19 pm
Daily Maintenance Weigh In - Saturday, Nov 27/10 

Surgery Date - June 12/09
Highest Weight - 230 lbs
Surgery Weight - 230 lbs
Total Amount Lost - 88 lbs
Goal Range - 140 lbs - 145 lbs
Yesterday's Weight - 144.4 lbs
Today's Weight - 143.6 lbs
Gain/Loss - -.8 lbs 

Random Thoughts:  
- I am shocked and pleased I am down .8 lbs, wow my Sleeve and Walking are sure making this easy.
-  I hope everyone is having success in getting back on or staying on plan after Thanksgiving!

MikeyMike
on 11/26/10 10:01 pm - New York, NY
Surgery Date -  3/3/2010
Highest Weight - 380 Lbs
Consult Weight - 357 Lbs
Surgery Weight - 309 Lbs 
Total Amount Lost - 143 Lbs
Goal Range - 215 - 220 Lbs
Yesterday's Weight - 213 Lbs
Today's Weight - 214 Lbs
Gain/Loss -  +1 Lbs

Highest Weight: 380                      Consult Weight: 357             Surgery Weight: 309 
Goal Weight: 220 (9/29/10)      Revised Goal Range 215-220         Current Weight: 224
Plastics: Circumferential Lower Body Lift - 11/18/2011
              Gynecomastia - 6/14/2012

sweet_pita
on 11/26/10 10:54 pm - Canada
 I have to ask Cindy,  why do you weigh in everyday?

The reason I ask , is because for me , when I had the VSG it was to gain control of my weight issues and to live a "normal" life.

I feel that writing what I eat everyday and weighing my self everyday is another form of food controlling my life again.

I do pay attention to what I eat but I try not to obsess about food and weight any more and focus on life, family and exercise.
  I feel maintenance is extremely important and of course none of us want to gain back , but is the life of daily writing down food and daily weigh in is a happy one?   I mean .8 pound is not even something I think about.:-) 

HW : 305 SW : 294 CW : 160

Ms Shell
on 11/27/10 12:15 am - Hawthorne, CA
I'll answer for why I do it.  You will find if you ask that "most" of those on maintaince weigh daily as an accountability to actually SEE what the scale is doing.  If you ask alot of "normal" people who are skinny they weigh everyday as well.

We all have our "things" I for one can fluactuate pounds on any given day and they are regulated by what I have eaten, even oatmeal 1/2 for 3 days along with my "normal" protein caused a 3lb gain, so I learned that THAT processed carb wasn't good for ME even though it's considered a "good" carb by many.

So how often do you weigh?

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Boscogirl
on 11/27/10 12:25 am - TX

Hi there!!  I share your philosophy about living "normal" and I do not write down my food and I don't diet or have a specific food plan but I do weigh everyday just because when I was overweight I would go for months and months and even years without weighing (because I didn't want to face it) so I just feel for me it is important to always know what I weigh.  But, I don't do it to obsess over it and I even round down.
                                  Goal in EIGHT months!

Highest/Surgery Weight 248 Goal Weight 165 Current Weight 165-175
                           Starting BMI 33.7 Current BMI 22.1
             I'm 42 years young, my height is 6' and I've had no plastics!
                                          I  my sleeve!!!
Maintaining Cindy
on 11/27/10 1:09 am, edited 11/27/10 2:17 am
Hi Sweet Pita,

I weigh every day to stay accountable, it works for me.

I don't track any of my food and almost never have, only when I had to learn how to lose and learn how to maintain, which was rarley.

When I was in the losing phase I lost weight slowly on purpose, by allowing myself some snacks and carbs as I went along, I was not very strict with myself, I chose to make changes for life, one I could keep doing for the rest of my life, and it worked for me.

I walk 4 miles a day for exercise, I love my walks in my barefeet, I stroll along the sandy streets and beaches here on Caye Caulker without a care in the world...

I have eaten more over the last 3 or 4 days than I normally do, if I listed it here, which I have not, even you might be shocked.  As a result I am was conerned my weight would be up for the 4th day in a row, instead I am down .8 lbs...  I am shocked and pleased that it was not.

If being down rather than up would not have shocked you, so be it...

I am a very happy person, and I am not sure I could act or be any more normal when it comes to food and 'dieting' or the lack there of...  if I choose to weigh everyday, in the early stages of maintenance, because I don't trust myself, or because I have 25 years of NEVER being able to maintain... that is my choice...  If I don't feel confident and want to be diligent, that is my choice... you do what works for you...

As for focusing on life, family and exercise.  I choose to work at home so that I can spend as much time as possible with my wonderful husband and two Yorkies, my 'family'.  I choose to live in Belize, so that I can have a better quality of 'life' than I had in Canada.  I am no longer in the rat race, I work in sun dresses or shorts and a tank top, and my bare feet all day long... I don't fuss with clothes, makeup, and fashion... I fuss with nature, peace and love... I think I have my priorities straight...

I admit there are not a lot of people in my life that would call me 'normal' but it sure does not have to do with the fact that I weigh everyday, or the odd time in 17 mos I track my food until I understand where I am at with my caloric intake...

I think you have offended me, I think you have angered me, and I think that is because you are judging my 'way' of maintaining, because it is not like your own... I also know I am upset because you got it wrong, I don't track my food, and you don't seem to even know me or you would not have said 1/2 of what you said...

However, I could bet that you did not mean to offend, so onward for me... and all the best in 'your personal journey', however you choose to do it, I hope it works wonders for you as an individual.

mini_me_ now
on 11/27/10 1:14 am
The reason i do it is for accountability, if i dont weigh i dont know what is going on, i can not rely on clothing because clothing stretches, if i gain weight, i can gain control if not, before i know it  it might be a 10 lb gain id have to get off.

not weighing myself everyday is one of the things that led me to being obese, turning a blind eye off to what was is really happening around me. I already know i can not trust me to do it or otherwise id not have needed surgery to begin with.

I do not see it as food controling me, its me controling me, take for example thanksgiving i expected to see a gain and there was, but seeing it and confirming it meant id back off and get the gain off again. wich is exactly what im doing

Every thing iI have read about maintaining from surgeons says those that obsess over it are the most successful.
Linda     5".4

6lbs under goal weight
                  Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

(deactivated member)
on 11/27/10 2:11 am
VSG on 05/04/09 with
I also need accountability.

I will not ever be *normal* about food.  I have games I have played with me about food for all of my life. 

Tracking my calories in and exercise out keep me at a healthful weight and that keeps my head on straight.

For me, weighing myself, tracking food and exercise is normal and healthy, not opressive, just like balancing my checkbook is not opressive. 

I do not obsess about my weight or my food, but I make sure that I am aware, really aware, just like I do not obsess about the money in the bank, but I need to be aware. Really aware, not just "I do not think I have spent more than I made this month."

For me?  yes!  tracking and weighing is happy as it can be, just like no bounced check fees are happy!

Spinning out of control and ****ting myself that I am "okay" while I spin out of control?  Not happy.  Not then, not later when its time to pay the piper, or to un***** myself from a huge bad habit I have picked up and did not notice, while I thought I was being "normal."

This just all is me, and how I need to do it.  Does not mean you cannot continue like you are and be super great!  Because you can if you can!

I cannot and I am not even going to play the "I just gained back 30 pounds what the **** do I do now" game. 

Because it happens.  I see it.  If I have *anything* to do with it - I will not be that statistic.

I know *me* this is what *I* need to do.  *shrug*

For me, its not bad or good, it just, well..responsible.
(deactivated member)
on 11/27/10 1:05 am
I woke up this morning to a .8 weight gain.  Nothing to panic about, but I am noticing a trend.  I still weigh only 104.6 lbs. and that is fine with me, but I prefer to be closer to 103 lbs.  So just for today, I am eating three times and only lean protein or cottage cheese.  I bet I will wake up tomorrow pretty close to my goal.  I am not stressed about this, but I know that if I fail to notice the little changes, I will feel powerless over the large swings.  I never want that to happen again.  I too went for months and even years without weighing myself because I felt so out of control and depressed about my weight.  I choose to never be there again .  I feel that I will never be a normal eater, I will always need to stay vigilant.  I have made peace with this.  I really believe that long term it is the only way to keep myself thin.
MikeyMike
on 11/27/10 1:35 am, edited 11/27/10 1:36 am - New York, NY
I weigh daily for accountability reasons described in previous posts. I don't beat myself up if I gain or lose a pound. I just readjust what I'm doing.

Highest Weight: 380                      Consult Weight: 357             Surgery Weight: 309 
Goal Weight: 220 (9/29/10)      Revised Goal Range 215-220         Current Weight: 224
Plastics: Circumferential Lower Body Lift - 11/18/2011
              Gynecomastia - 6/14/2012