VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Ya can't win em ALL...

Ya can't win em ALL!! (looong!)

dec721
on 2/10/11 8:43 pm - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Mine was "my problem is not the size of my stomach, my problem is my behavior."  Weeeelllll, technically true, but I couldn't change my behavior, at least not for very long, until my stomach was so small I was forced to change!  Darn addiction, grrrr!
--Dorothy

P.S. This is a great thread, y'all!

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

FatGuyInALittleCoat
on 2/10/11 9:05 pm - New Orleans
Logging calories from meat in a PETA notebook = Classic.

Current weight: 170 lbs.

Once I reach goal, this cow will be killed & eaten... 2 ounces at a time.

Total includes 56 lbs. lost on 2-month low carb pre-op diet.  Start date 9/13/10.

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/11 9:16 pm - GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
And just another note..

Jimbo, you will ALWAYS be the weiner to us.

The winner. I mean the winner.
jimbovsg
on 2/11/11 1:54 am
On February 11, 2011 at 5:16 AM Pacific Time, Brandilynn Wonderland wrote:
And just another note..

Jimbo, you will ALWAYS be the weiner to us.

The winner. I mean the winner.
the "weiner" in the big, soft, fluffy, carby, bun of love and acceptance....on the VSG paper plate/forum!

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

(deactivated member)
on 2/11/11 2:02 am - GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
I just got a weiner willie! 
(deactivated member)
on 2/10/11 10:17 pm
LOVED LOVED LOVED your story, thanks for sharing!

I've planted the VSG seed in a good friends head, she happens to be a doctor, so I fax her my labs every time they get taken (which she has requested).  Seeing my labs helps her to know that the surgery is safe for long term health.  Being a doctor......it's labs she wants to see over anything else, labs she understands, they're concrete information.  I am more than happy to send them.  I keep telling her I will be her nurse if she gets the surgery, wait on her hand and foot, and be sympathetic to all whining.

Living hell blog:

http://efudexexperience.blogspot.com/
Lee ~
on 2/10/11 11:45 pm - CA
Love the story Jim.  I agree that the seed was planted, that's all that matters. 

I never considered WLS and didn't even really know it was an option until October 2009 when i went to my PCP for what turned into a Gallbladder surgery.  During that visit, she looked at me ans I asked once again, what the heck can I do to lose the weight.  I had been eating raw vegan.  All fruits and veggies and 1 ounce of nuts a day.  Then I'd switch to Atkins, certain that would work.  I had just come back from Russia when i saw her for that appointment.  I wore my pedometer and walked 8-12 miles a day for 2 weeks, ate reasonably and gained weight.  At that appointment the doc suggested WLS.  I told her that would be failing and she asked me to go think about it.  I had gallbladder surgery on Nov 2nd, WLS orientation two weeks later and the rest is history. 

So seeds planted are one powerful thing!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

sublimate
on 2/11/11 12:03 am - San Jose, CA
Here's my two cents for what it's worth.. good for you for sharing with people! We need more Johnny appleseeds like you! I know personally I would get too upset if people think that my weight loss has been all due to surgery, since I work my butt off in the gym and watching what I eat to help my tool all I can.

So I don't tell people because I don't want comments like that. Plenty of people see me jogging to work, going to the gym, eating my own home cooked foods that I bring with me, etc. so there isn't too many questions because they see my hard work and assume that's what I'm doing.

That being said, I think the best way to bring it up is not to tell people to have WLS, but to speak from "I" statements and tell them what the surgery means for YOU, what you liked about it, etc. If they say, I couldn't eat like you because I am vegan or what ever, you just tell them that you understand and wanted to share your experience.

Tell them how carbs effect you and what your doctor told you, etc. always speaking from your own experience, and never suggesting what they "should" do. If you stick to speaking about yourself and not pushing it on other people or even making a suggestion that someone "should" do it, you'll probably get a much better result.

People usually don't want to be told what they "should" do but sharing about yourself or even a third party makes it less like a personal affront on them, if that makes sense? Trust me.. they will automatically put it together and try that idea on themselves.. that's human nature.

Hugs...

P.S. Missed you at Dr. C's meeting on Wednesday!

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

jimbovsg
on 2/11/11 12:18 am
On February 11, 2011 at 8:03 AM Pacific Time, sublimate wrote:
Here's my two cents for what it's worth.. good for you for sharing with people! We need more Johnny appleseeds like you! I know personally I would get too upset if people think that my weight loss has been all due to surgery, since I work my butt off in the gym and watching what I eat to help my tool all I can.

So I don't tell people because I don't want comments like that. Plenty of people see me jogging to work, going to the gym, eating my own home cooked foods that I bring with me, etc. so there isn't too many questions because they see my hard work and assume that's what I'm doing.

That being said, I think the best way to bring it up is not to tell people to have WLS, but to speak from "I" statements and tell them what the surgery means for YOU, what you liked about it, etc. If they say, I couldn't eat like you because I am vegan or what ever, you just tell them that you understand and wanted to share your experience.

Tell them how carbs effect you and what your doctor told you, etc. always speaking from your own experience, and never suggesting what they "should" do. If you stick to speaking about yourself and not pushing it on other people or even making a suggestion that someone "should" do it, you'll probably get a much better result.

People usually don't want to be told what they "should" do but sharing about yourself or even a third party makes it less like a personal affront on them, if that makes sense? Trust me.. they will automatically put it together and try that idea on themselves.. that's human nature.

Hugs...

P.S. Missed you at Dr. C's meeting on Wednesday!
Yeah you're right sometimes I go into "do what i do!" mode.....I was just trying to explain my choice as I felt she was not getting, or did not "want " to get what I was saying.  A bit frustrating sometimes.

MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

jimbovsg
on 2/11/11 2:01 am
I thought the meeting was on wed the 16Th!  The email I got actually said the 11Th!  Either way on wed I was just getting out of the dentists' chair at 6;00 (2 hours of Marquis De Sade!)  would not have been too chipper at the meeting!

MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"