VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Ya can't win em ALL...

Ya can't win em ALL!! (looong!)

jimbovsg
on 2/10/11 2:31 pm
Or convince em all!  So I was in S-bucks today (part of my routine Protein coffee ,food log, walking to get in my 10,000 steps!)  It's a good "people watching" opportunity!
    I watch an obese woman (not MO 40 - 50lbs overweight)  She orders a java chip frappacino.....and 3 choc chunk cookies!  (this is 5 :00) Not too unusual,  maybe she will bring them home to the kids and hubby?  While waiting for her drink.....she eats 1 of the cookies.  She then gets her drink and sits next to me. She sees my food log (it is a P.E.T.A. organizer/calender.....long story!)  anyway she asks about PETA....i explain it is my food log....she says like vegan food I'm like NOOO quite the opposite! Yada.... yada.... yada....we get to the WLS reveal! 
     She seems a bit puzzled like I'm full of **** or "your not skinny" .  So I show her my pics on my key-chain......not to impressed either.  She then goes on to tell me her sis had LB 3 years ago......(fill in the blank for yourself) and it doesn't work!  I explain the difference, etc.  no reaction.....blank stare (maybe she was in a carb coma!) She then tells me "I'm a vegetarian....I could never eat like YOU do" (Straight from my phrase book  a "twinkie" vegetarian!)  I calmly tell her "Well I had a similar diet to you......it helped me get to 580lbs!"  She says "well I don't eat like this ALL the time!'  I'm overweight cause I don't exercise!"  She then did the "empty cup straw/sucking noise', then left. 
      I wish I had more time to look up the nutritional info on her "snack' and show her.  I did when she left.......approx 1500 cals 220 carbs!  Hey I'm not judging her for what she ate, ( we all, myself included,  may have done similar behaviors in the past!)  
    It's just she had this judgmental I'm better than you attitude, I'm vegetarian etc and you kill/eat animals!  It was almost a "hey I'm still smaller than you!  Why would I take any of your advise?" 
     I guess you can't inform/educate, or convince everyone.  Not everybody wants to or is "ready" to hear what you're selling!   BTW  I was very calm, diplomatic,  and polite.... the gloves did not come off till the "eat the way YOU do!" comment!  And I don't have a "beef" (get it!) with vegetarians/vegans either.....just not my choice of lifestyle.
      So.....Do you try to talk to people about WLS  or do you not bother (especially when idiots are concerned!)  I usually have a "shout it from the roof tops!" attitude....maybe I'm wrong?  I'm not sure how i would have reacted  (before I had WLS)  If someone brought it up?  I am pretty open-minded so I'd like to think I would hear them out......who knows?  Any thoughts on this? Sorry it was soo long......still coming down off my "buckies!"

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

diane S.
on 2/10/11 3:04 pm
Amusing story Jimbo. Can you say "reaction formation"?  Or at least I think thats the term from the psych classes I sleepwalked through for people who crusade against something that they are secretly fascinated with. This woman knows she is overweight, knows she ate an excessive amount of cookies, and sort of took out her aggrivation with herself on an innocent nearby successful wls patient who is winning the fat war in which she is a POW. The vegetarian thing was just something to feel holier than thou about.  Obvously defensive and not open to learning about something new. So be it. Wonder if her sister with the failed LB was a vegetarian. Probably a cookietarian.  Actually, thats what I used to be. And of course its possible to be a vegetarian and be a successful wls patient. With our portion limits, we probably eat less meat than the average person.

Kudos to you for being polite and trying to share information. Vegetarians are sometimes zealots and guess they have the right to be but eating vegetarian does not equal eating healthy. Betcha somewhere in those cookies there was a bit of animal fat.

Yep, starbucky's is always an interesting place. we even have one in our unincorporated little town. Last time i was in one the man ahead of me paid for my coffee. After thanking him i teased him that he must have done something really naughtly at some point to feel like he had to do random acts of kindness. He was a good sport.

BTW, are their protein drinks any good? I always just get plain coffee (ok with a little half and half - don't tell Amy) which i did pre vsg. Never did get into any of the fancy drinks.

Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

sassyscorpio
on 2/10/11 3:40 pm
I  never talk to anyone about WLS. It's the last thing in the world I want to share. I have a friend who is sleeved and we talk about it. I have another friend that knows I am sleeved with  whom   I  sometimes talk to about my struggles with maintenance.

Beyond that, all I do is look at certain people and think " I wonder if they know that WLs is available!"

band 12-29-06     revision  to sleeve  Alberto Aceves  4-29-09

I love my sleeve!!

Lost 107 lbs and maintaining

Posted Image

jimbovsg
on 2/10/11 3:50 pm
On February 10, 2011 at 11:40 PM Pacific Time, sassyscorpio wrote:
I  never talk to anyone about WLS. It's the last thing in the world I want to share. I have a friend who is sleeved and we talk about it. I have another friend that knows I am sleeved with  whom   I  sometimes talk to about my struggles with maintenance.

Beyond that, all I do is look at certain people and think " I wonder if they know that WLs is available!"
This is why I am very vocal about it ( I don't solicit opinions on the street!)  But I tell people if ANY subject related to WLS or diet etc. comes up.  "I wonder if they know WLS is available!"  Many people do not.....or have dis-information regarding it!  I feel it is my "mission" of sorts to change that.....if I can!

MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

jimbovsg
on 2/10/11 3:42 pm
The protein powder they have clumps.....unless they steam it in W/ the milk!  i do my own....RTD protein shake,  tall coffee (in a venti cup)  a bit of cinnamon sprinkled in...stir and enjoy!

MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

sam1am
on 2/10/11 9:49 pm
Well said Diane!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Still Fawn
on 2/10/11 11:52 pm - SIERRA MADRE, CA
Yum- a double shot skinny caramel latte with double protein is my drink of choice. A small has about 150 cals and 30 protein.. tastes delicious and has my caffeine kick to boot...lol

I am still loving life with my sleeve! Been maintaining at or below goal for over 4 years!
"People spend a lifetime searching for happiness; looking for peace. They chase idle dreams, addictions, religions, even other people, hoping to fill the emptiness that plagues them. The irony is the only place they ever needed to search was within."   - Ramona L. Anderson

frisco
on 2/10/11 4:10 pm

I'm more than willing to talk about WL or WLS to anyone who inquires..... especially the ones that  have a weight issue and they have "that look" that tells you "HELP" Well.......cause I was that person not to long ago.....

But, I have never pushed it on anyone or initiated a WLS conversation........ I have been asked to talk to someone in an "intervention" of a friend of a friend......I basically just explained the procedures, told him my story and told the guy.....he needed to want it for himself and if he wanted to talk further....gimme a call.

Other than that...... I got my own problems and a full plate (ha ha !) and only can talk to people who want to listen.....besides, I need to budget my time so I have the time for my own continued education on the subject.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/11 4:25 pm - GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
I also mostly have a full disclosure policy and am more than willing to share if someone asks. 

I think, like a lot of things, and especially when you have a few things that are not the standard fare (her being heavy AND her being veg*n) you get a LOT of flack from folks, and she has first hand seen *a surgery* not work, so there is that.  And too, *MAYBE* Once upon a time, I had a bad surgery opine too - because I was not at the end of my rope, or did not SEE that it was ever an option for me?  Who knows. 

But I think like all touchy experiences, there are a lot of statements that emphasize what I felt drove me to that point, i.e.

*for me* I was always panicked hungry
*for me* I there was *always* room for more
*for me* there was only moderation until I *got* wherever goal was or just could not take being hungry anymore

And they can either see themselves somewhere in my rambling, or they dont - but having been a veg*n at one point, AND heavy, AND a woman :} I know full well that sometimes you are touchier than you think and sometimes you ask a question you REALLY DID NOT want the answer to :}.

I dunno, I would keep on Jim, just knowing that you are like Johnny Appleseed - your job is just to toss seeds where you can and whether they implant and grow was not ever up to you.  Maybe what you were sowing will start to shoosht roots, or maybe not, maybe not for years!  Or maybe! 

Good job though, really.  You keep on being like you are and unashamed.  Some folks will not share and that's their business, but for me, I think sharing that *YES* it surely helped me to GET where I wanted to be, and painted me in a corner for the rest of the head stuff to get worked on and YES after the initial boost?  Its going to be all me baby - but I had a leg up I never had before, and I do not have that panicked hungry anymore.

Anyway, good job!! 
frisco
on 2/10/11 5:48 pm, edited 2/10/11 5:51 pm

Oh....yah.... and Jimbo, maybe you can figure this one out for me.....

My standard Starbucks order was:

- Grande Mocha Frappachino with Whip Cream

- Maple Oat Scone (hey i thought that was a good food choice...it said Oat !)

What's the nut values?

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle