VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Please answer quest...

Please answer question (I should already know) but...

barbara101
on 4/5/11 10:06 pm - somewhere, OH
I had my surgery in Mexico. I have lost or misplaced the eating plans for after surgery.

I would like to see if I start the post surgery eating I may be able to stick to it.

Also, Why do we need 70g of protein this far out?

Thank you for you answers and patience.

Barbara   

kikuri
on 4/5/11 10:29 pm

The 5 day pouch test sums it up. In fact, I think I might start that today...just to try it.

My post-op plan was:

3 weeks of clear liquids (propel, broth, water, SF popsicles, jello)

2 weeks of soft food (refried beans, canned tuna, white fish, deli meat)

2 weeks of non-dense protein (canned chicken, fish, shellfish, ground turkey/chicken)

Solid, dense protein as tolerated (chicken, beef, turkey, etc) + non-starchy veggies 

[5'2": 35lbs lost pre-op. SW: 245 GW: 115 CW: 130.0]

dec721
on 4/5/11 11:25 pm - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
My plan was a week of clear liquids, two weeks of full liquids, a week of mushies, then on to solids after a month. 

I know what you mean about sticking to it.  I've been trying to detox from about six to nine months of eating poorly.  My addiction rears its ugly head!  Best wishes :-)
--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

Lee ~
on 4/5/11 11:31 pm - CA
Mine was 5 days clear, 2 weeks full liquids, 2 weeks pureed, then soft for (either 2 weeks or a month) then on to solid foods.

I personally can't go back to the beginning because it feels like a punishment to me.  I wasn't losing in November and December so just really went back to basics in January and I've dropped 10 more pounds since then by sticking to protein first, then a little veggies and a few berries occasionally.

Everything else feels too much like diet.  This just feels like eating on plan and sticking to it.  For me it's the carbs that send me straight into maintenance mode which is not where I want to be.

I think the protein is so that we maintain good organ health.  Losing rapidly means losing muscle mass and the protein helps us avoid that.  I'm sure others will give you a better answer to that.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Dee08
on 4/6/11 12:03 am
VSG on 09/01/08 with

Barbara,

Good luck on your journey.  I could never do the "pouch test".  It was designed for the RNY pouch which is stretchier than our tiny stomach.  It is just too restrictive for me personally.  I have gone back to the VSG basics...protein first, low carb veggies, and fruit if there is room.  Lots of water, coffee, and tea.  I can stick with this much better than I could the all liquids, etc.  I don't want to feel like I am on a strict diet because my mind will automatically revolt and I will cheat.  That is my personal flaw, no will power.  Good luck to you on whatever you decide.  You still have your tiny stomach to help you along the way.

Dee

5'1"  Age 62   Goal weight between 128 - 135  
Mandyplus2 ..
on 4/6/11 1:27 am - GA
Because human beings need protein. It's not that we as VSGers need it, it's that every human needs it.

Unless you want to end up with zero muscle mass and just fat and bones. You especially need extra protein when eating in a caloric deficit so that your body burns fat rather than muscle.
 5'8" - 40 years old

Jp2lose
on 4/6/11 4:24 am - Omaha, NE
I agree with Mandy, It's just how much protein we need and because out stomachs are so small we need to eat it FIRST just to make sure we get it in before filling up on other nutrients.

If you're doing strenuous exercise then you need more than the recomended amounts.

Jen

sassyscorpio
on 4/6/11 5:44 am
Dr. Aceves has his patients on 10 days of clear liquids, 10 day of full liquids, and 10 days of musie foods. I supplemented  with protein shakes when I was on mushie foods and solids because I could only eat about 4 bites which was not enough protein for the day.

The other posts told you the reason we need so much protein. It  is because you will lose muscle not  fat if you don't eat a lot of protein .  Our stomachs are so small, we would not be able get the protein our bodies need if we didn't eat it first.

Are you having trouble figuring out what to eat?

band 12-29-06     revision  to sleeve  Alberto Aceves  4-29-09

I love my sleeve!!

Lost 107 lbs and maintaining

Posted Image

barbara101
on 4/6/11 9:01 pm - somewhere, OH
Thank you all for the input.
Sassy, yes I am having a hard time figuring out what to eat, I don't know why,

I will eat chicken,salmon,tuna,Is meatloaf ok?

Ms,Shell, yes I feel that I am sensitive to carbs,
When I eat any kind of carb,processed or whole grains and the binge begins,

Barbara   

Ms Shell
on 4/6/11 5:46 am - Hawthorne, CA
Ditto to the WHY...we ALL need protein.  Here's a link I found http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein_2.htm

Your diet and it SEEMS from your posts that you might be sensitive to carbs.  So say BYE to ALL processed carbs for awhile if you can and YES for many (like ME) that mean's the "whole" grains and wheat too.

I eat protein from ALL sources and vegetables and some fruits right now mainly clementines right now.  Lately I've been doing about 1000 calories, my protein is about 70, my carbs are 50.  I finally saw the scale move down today (after a week) but down is down...

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface