VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Whoot ! New Protein...

Whoot ! New Protein Drink/Pudding makes me cackle with glee!

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/11 10:29 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
I can tell you, as a person whose body is not the best at retaining protein from dense protein sources and still *has* to consume protein drinks, I am pretty *meh* about shakes.

I need it to be cost effective too - and I do not *want* to spend all my freaking carbs on protein drinks, so I was looking for Fewest Total Shakes for Maximum Protein (I need at least 70g) and fewest carbs for *Reasonable Cost* 

Sooo!  I found this stuff

Complete Protein Diet

• 200 Filling Calories per Serving
• Suitable for Virtually Any Weight-Loss Program
• 35 g of Blended Protein from 6 Unique Sources
• Only 3 g of Carbohydrates and 1 g of Sugar
• Blend of Healthful Oils Including Safflower, Olive, Borage, and Evening Primrose
• 26 Vitamins and Essential Minerals

Recent research supports what competitive bodybuilders have instinctively known for decades: higher-protein, lower-carbohydrate dieting results in faster weight-loss with less hunger and greater overall satisfaction – especially when combined with exercise. Because proteins appear to aid weight control by both suppressing your appetite and boosting your metabolism, they are the foundation of Optimum Nutrition's Complete Protein Diet. That's why each serving supplies 35 grams of protein from 6 premium protein sources. Complete Protein Diet also contains 26 different vitamins and minerals plus essential fats, so it’s much more than just another protein powder; it’s a complete high-protein meal. Sweetened with Splenda.

Okay, in reading the reviews, folks mix it with 14 or 15 ounces of water and complain its thick, okay fine, but 2 a day at 35 g protein and 3 carbs per serving I could gag down if I needed to, or water down, whichever. 

First day, not incredibly impressed - but I mean, its okay, its no milkshake but - ummm its not a milkshake ! :}

Second day, mix it, add a packet of sweetner to it, come back to work, it sits for a minute in my mixer cup because I did not just slam it down and then it will not come out of the mixer cup hole!  Open it up and ITS PUDDING!!

YAAAY!  PUDDING!!  So, I have started to mix it with just a cup of the almond milk, or morning ones I mix with my regular coffee mixture plus espresso powder and YUMZ!!! 

It also has borage oils and oil of evening primrose which is nice, because it means I might can not have to consume so much of those as additional supplements!

Yea, its 200 calories a pop, but luckily for me I can afford that, and honestly, 2 of these versus 3 or 4 of the others plus almond milk is going to add up to the same amount of calories for the same amount of protein anyway.

So - BL gives this stuff a thumbs up! 

**also important - I cannot tolerate regular real life pudding, what I mean is the texture is triggery for me, makes me want more and more and I obsess about it until its gone, same with yogurt and cottage cheese (yes, I am a triggery freak) but this stuff does not make me feel that way - AND ALSO, with a regular protein drink, about 30 minutes after drinking it, I need to EAT FOOD or I get that "FOOD NOW OR WE ARE CHUCKING UP BILE WOMAN" message from my belly, but not with this stuff!  I can go about 2 and a half up to 3 hours without that FOOD, BRING IT, IN MY BELLAH!! feeling!! yaaay!

So anyway.  That's that about that!

*it comes in vanilla and chocolate, and now that I have discovered its puddingness, I just shake it up in one of my little two cup tuppers and that is enough room for it to shake and pud.  Also a note - 1 cup of your liquid is enough for the 2 scoopers to mix in best, 3/4 cup liquid you will still find pockets of dry powder. 

FatGuyInALittleCoat
on 5/20/11 10:51 pm - New Orleans
Have you tried the regular ON double rich chocolate?  Just wondering how this compares in taste... that's pretty much what I drink everyday.

BTW, are you still doing the cake batter shakes?  Mine seem to turn out very "foamy."

Current weight: 170 lbs.

Once I reach goal, this cow will be killed & eaten... 2 ounces at a time.

Total includes 56 lbs. lost on 2-month low carb pre-op diet.  Start date 9/13/10.

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/11 10:56 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

I finished my last tub of cake batter before I did my "can I only consume 1 shake a day and keep my protein up" experiment, a month before my 2 year labs.

I typically either made the cake batter ground up with flavored ice cubes (diet cream soda yum!) or mixed it up in my coffe, so I did not find it extra foamy - and I just shook it in the shaker bottle if I was having the powder and almond milk alone.  Are they always foamy, or just recently?

By the by - the chocolate flavor for this product is also called double rich chocolate, and I do not think I have tasted the regular ON one - so I am not sure about taste comparison.  I will cruise by GNC today and see if they have a regular double rich chocolate sample so I can compare them for you!

FatGuyInALittleCoat
on 5/20/11 11:14 pm - New Orleans
Oh, you don't need to go to that kind of trouble, babydoll!  I've got a 10 lb. bag of the regular coming in the mail this week, so it might be a couple of months before I need anything else!

I've always found the cake batter shakes(mixed w/ 6-8 oz. of unsweetened almond breeze in a shaker bottle) to have about a 2-inch head of foam on 'em.  Maybe I'm a bad shaker... I dunno.  I mix chocolate w/ coffee all the time... never really thought to try the cake batter w/ coffee.  Might have to give it a go tomorrow.

-Yours truly, all the whey

Total includes 56 lbs. lost on 2-month low carb pre-op diet.  Start date 9/13/10.

(deactivated member)
on 5/21/11 12:18 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Mmmmmm.. head..

Wait, what?  Boo to bad head!  :}

Yes I mix it up with coffee!  Cold now, like a pretend coffee drink! 

*hearts out of my eyes for you*

But your question is good, and I have to cruise over to WAlmarjet anyway since I am out of Chicago Steak seasoning *slurp* and the gnc is right next door!

Muwah, maing!
laurak712
on 5/21/11 6:08 am - New Braunfels, TX
I mix 2 scoops of the cake batter flavor with my morning coffee and it's really good!  Not foamy at all.  I mix the powder with with 4 ounces of lukewarm milk first then add that mixture to hot coffee so it won't clump up on me.

Laura

Height 5' 7

FatGuyInALittleCoat
on 5/21/11 8:13 am - New Orleans
Thanks

(deactivated member)
on 5/21/11 10:48 am
I was just going to ask you how to make that protein coffee again.  I lost the paper I sqribbled it on at the meeting.  Thanks for writing this!
laurak712
on 5/22/11 12:37 am - New Braunfels, TX
Happy to help Trish!  I hope to see you at the next meeting although I don't see why we have to wait that long seeing as we live so close!!!

Laura

Height 5' 7

(deactivated member)
on 5/22/11 4:56 am
Thanks Laura!  I agree.  Exactly how close by do we live?  I live in RRR neighborhood.  By what I remember you saying, I was thinking like 3-4 miles?