VSG Maintenance Group

Goal

Birdie55
on 8/27/11 1:18 am
I saw Dr Cirangle yesterday and he said I am at goal and to start maintenance.  I've lost about 55 pounds since my surgery almost a year ago.  

I was scheduled for VSG in early June last year but he found I had a parathyroid tumor in my pre-op lab work.  So, I had to take care of that and have surgery on that before I could have VSG surgery.  I had the 2 surgeries 24 days apart and felt like I wa**** by a brick wall after the second surgery.  The first month, I felt pretty crappy.  I must have had a lot of swelling since I had trouble drinking much that month.  I did not get in all my liquids until about the 4th week.  I had had my gall bladder removed in 1987 the open surgery way, so had a lot of adhesions removed by Dr C.  That might have added to my misery.  

Anyway, I lost very slowly over the year and still would like to lose a few more lbs.  I think 120 is a more realistic goal for my body size.  

Dr C told me to weigh daily and stay within 3 or 4 lbs of my goal weight....anything over, go back to plan to lose it.  I know he's told others to maintain for a year....I'll plan on doing that.  

I jsut switched to a real gym, I've been going to Curves for 5 1/2 months, which is a lighter weight workout.  The first training session at the new gym worked my muscles more than I had in the 5 1/2 months.  I think it will be a body changer.  

I'm was excited to get to goal, but I'm actually nervous about it.  I don't think I will change anything initially.  I'm so afraid of regain and especially since I want to lose a few more lbs.  I tend to lose 2 oz at a time, so 6 more lbs might take awhile.  

I've gone from a tight size 16 to a comfortable size 6 in bottoms and a medium or large in tops.  I have been filling in my wardrobe with the new size....funny, I hadn't really shopped for clothes in decades....by really, I mean trying stuff on and looking for flattering clothes.  I had worn more sweatshirts and baggy jeans...stuff that wasn't very fitted.  I'm enjoying shopping now.  

Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories....it's been very helpful to see what others are doing both successfully, and what isn't working also.  On to the next phase....maintenance.  

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

loverofcats
on 8/27/11 3:31 am
Congratulations on reaching your goal, Birdie!!! You have been very tenacious and stuck  with the program, even though your weight loss was slow.

I was nervous when I hit my goal in April. What I have found out, which I never did in the past, is that I am continuing to  practice the same behaviors that helped me to lose the weight. I just eat a few more calories and exercise on a regular basis. This is the change in lifestyle that everyone talks about.

Switching to a real gym is a great idea. You will get a better workout and working with a trainer and doing weight training, will help to shape your body. It doesn't get rid of the loose skin, but it certainly helps. Building more muscle, will help to keep your metabolism working and will help to build strong bones. You will be amazed at how much stronger you will start feeling. It is very powerful.

Wishing you the best during maintenance,

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

diane S.
on 8/27/11 3:59 am
Hey great going. So nice to hear those word that you are at your goal. Feels great doesn't it?  So enjoy the shopping and keep tracking your food and such to find what you need to maintain. Might take a few months to get the right level. Enjoy your new slim life!   Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

PokerSushi
on 8/27/11 8:10 am - Canada
 Congratulations on goal!  It sounds like you've had quite the road to get to this point and had to be very dedicated.  Enjoy the shopping!  

Birdie55
on 8/27/11 9:10 am
Thanks for the good thoughts, ladies.  

Edit   Delete          

Nita G.
on 8/28/11 12:02 pm
 Hi Birdie, I'm curious, was your parathyroid surgery successful? I had mine about 5 months before my VSG, and although my PTH has gone down, my calcium remains high, and I don't take any supplements. Gotta see the endocronologist again this Wednesday. 
Nita

48 pounds lost prior to surgery

Birdie55
on 8/28/11 1:21 pm
Hi Nita,
Yes, my parathyroid surgery was successful; apparently I had a very large adenoma which I may have had for 6 - 10 years.  My calcium, vitamin D and PTH levels are all normal now.  I'm still being followed by an Endocrinologist and taking 1600 - 1880 mg of calcium daily, along with 4000 IU of vitamin D.  

It's good that your seeing your Endo to see why your calcium level is high.  Both my calcium and PTH levels were back to normal within 3 weeks of my surgery.  Let us know what your doctor says after your appointment this week.  

Edit   Delete          

Southernsleever
on 8/28/11 10:50 pm
 That's wonderful! Keep checking in with us between your workouts!

5'6" Start-276 Goal-150  Weight loss   Preop=5  Month 1=25  Month 2=10  Month 3=14  Month 4=3 Month 5=7  Month 6=9 Month 7=7 Month 8=Month 9=9 Month 10=7 Month 11=5 Month 12=5 Month 13=3 Month 14=4    

Margo N.
on 8/29/11 2:37 am
Congratulations! Enjoy your success and keep on keeping on!
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

Birdie55
on 8/30/11 12:33 am
Thanks Margo, you've really been an inspiration to me.  

Edit   Delete