VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Thursday, October 1...

Thursday, October 12, 2023

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 10/12/23 4:54 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Back to the hot and muggys again. Cloudy and possible showers today which may affect our 3rd bocce game. Hopefully we can get it in.

We bought season tickets to the theatre here for the winter. First up is Million Dollar Quartet on 10/25. We were never able to do this when we were traveling during the high season here so are looking forward to it. Next decision is whether to join the boat club. It seems like a good deal as long as we use it enough and book far enough in advance in the high winter months. We are trying to be very present here since we won't be gallivanting as in the prior 2 years.

The WW bolognese came out great last night. I made enough for two meals plus another 2 in the freezer. It's one of those dishes where making more is just as easy as making the base recipe and it saves cooking at some point in the next few weeks. I think I will have to burn a candle to reduce the smell later though every time I walk in from outside I can smell it LOL.

Not much going on today other than walking with Justice, waxing the newly painted chest and hopefully playing bocce. We have 2 sets of leftover meals in the house so no cooking is needed.

Have a terrific Thursday!

Peps
on 10/12/23 8:51 am, edited 10/12/23 1:51 am

Well, I never did get around to adding to my post yesterday.

After a $1,000 vet visit Dottie was diagnosed with what I expected: immune mediated Polyarthritis. Poor baby had to be sedated and have her joints tapped/aspirated to get the diagnosis. She started her Prednisone therapy last night and was clearly feeling better already this morning. Yay! Unfortunately, she will be on steroids for several months, but unlike human rheumatoid arthritis, polyarthritis in dogs is commonly a "one and done" issue. Fingers crossed that Dottie is not an outlier. (PS - I was also proud of myself for correctly guessing the problem!)

The water weight is holding fast. My ankles are still swollen. Yesterday the skin in my shins still felt tight. I know it will pass and that it has nothing to do with my heart, so I will just wait it out. At least the sugar reduction is going well. Not perfect, but well.

What is funny to me is how I can feel one moment fine in my skin and then something triggers me and I don't. I think the body dysmorphia that accompanies my disordered eating (and other psycho issues) is the culprit. I liken my issues to CC's conundrum about her wedding outfit. The issue is temporary enough so that it is uncomfortable, but not enough to facilitate change. It is challenging to understand how the mind works in these situations vs the long term protective stance our thinking takes.

I am not enjoying the change to cooler weather as much as I have in the past. I do not wish to give up my shorts and flip flops! It must be in my nature. My mother used to love to tell about the day in January when, as a toddler, I refused to put on anything other than a T shirt. Finally she gave up and let me go out in the backyard to play thinking I'd get cold and come back in. Au contraire! My dad had left the side gate ajar. Naturally, I discovered the unlatched gate and went out front and down the street naked from the shirt down having a gleeful time looking for playmates. I was "rescued" by the postman who delivered me back home. My mother feigned terror and surprise that I had gone out in such a state and thanked the postman profusely. There was only one other story about my devilish toddler ways she liked telling better: the day I took all my shoes out to the storm drain and threw them down the drain so I could always go barefoot!

This impish one bids you all a thrilling Thursday!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 10/12/23 9:40 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I still would prefer to wear t-shirts and flip-flops year round!

CC C.
on 10/12/23 12:07 pm

I can easily picture Toddler Peps doing this!

diane S.
on 10/12/23 1:47 pm

My brother threw his shoes out the window of a moving car. Mother stopped to look for them. Only one was found. ds

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

DiamondD
on 10/12/23 7:08 pm
VSG on 06/13/12

I think I see why you have such a heart for the delightful yet challenging kids. :)

Peps
on 10/12/23 7:20 pm

Ha! I've never put that together, but you may have a point! LOL

CC C.
on 10/12/23 12:05 pm

Long cooked onion smell is hard to get out!

I had a nice time at the party last night. Though my real estate agent is a nut about presentation and I was a little afraid when I was asked to come early to help make her nibbles boards and she gave me actual cheese board flashcards to reference. A lot of pressure!

Today I took my neighbor to pick up her car at the mechanic's, then we went to the women's group meeting. My head was really hurting and making me nauseous, so I left a little early. Some lunch helped. Funny how I get an impulse to eat when I feel sick to my stomach (today, motion sickness, etc.) Like a dog eating grass, haha.

No more plans today. Hope everyone is happy and healthy!

DiamondD
on 10/12/23 2:34 pm
VSG on 06/13/12

Liz I've wanted to see Million Dollar Quartet, but haven't yet. I hope you enjoy your season tickets, theater is one of my favorite things. The Boat Club also sounds wonderful to me, but then I have a habit of encouraging people to spend their money. If you're thinking of a purchase, and you're unsure, I will be the friend saying, you deserve it, it will be worth it, if you can still pay your bills, then why not? Anyhow, I think the Boat Club could be useful with all the visitors you will no doubt have, now that you're spending the winter mostly in place.

Peps, it was with great sorrow that I told DH this afternoon, I can't wear my sandals tomorrow. It will be rainy, and in the 40s. It was rainy and in the 50s today, probably too cold for open toed shoes, but I wore them anyway. Soon I'll need to add gloves, and a heavy, restricting coat. Boo!!!

CC , what a lovely social life you've created in your new neighborhood. Wonderful that you've met nice people that you enjoy.

Today was another insane day. I don't know what exactly is happening. I suspect that staffing cuts are causing too many kids to be crammed into the same classes, and we are all just spread to thin to deal with their needs. One of my favorite co workers (younger) is looking to move on next year, but then said, I don't want to not be here for your last year. I told her she must do what she needs to.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 10/12/23 3:42 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

It seems like a terrible cycle with public education- we realize how important it is to our children and the future and squeeze out a little more (never enough), then the budget cutting phase comes slashing through. So sad really.

I do feel spoiled being able to wear my sandals almost every day of the year.