VSG Maintenance Group

04/05/24, TGIF

ocean4dlm
on 4/5/24 4:38 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

Back on Semaglutide for this tribe member. I had my video appointment with Friday's/Open Loop and received my first month's doses yesterday. (Previously, I had to weigh in at a local office weekly and it was just under $500/month with a bunch of supplements I didn't use.) With the decreased activity after shoulder surgery and eating "feel better" meals and snacks from friends. I crept back up and gained 15 pounds. All of the conversations about "food noise" resonated with me. I don't want to lose as fast this time, because it wasn't healthy or sustainable. Even though individuals may not check in daily, your informational posts are inspirational.

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/5/24 8:07 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I was so annoyed a while ago when I lost my reply to this after typing it with one hand. OH is very finicky these days.

Anyway good for you Diane taking charge. I am just happy that at 16 days postop I am mostly free of pain and could finally sleep in my own bed on a wedge pillow last night LOL.

I too am worried about weight gain with inactivity and the effects on my sore knees. Not to mention the 2 weddings coming up. I don't think I gained while in pain because my appetite was suppressed but it has kicked into high gear now. So I have my meeting with HemryMeds for Tirezpatide this afternoon.

Our visit with our friends yesterday was nice but I was tired last night. Thank goodness we had left the place clean when we went north.

Today we are at the beach club for a while. I realized I have to wear a tee shirt over my bathing suit to keep my scar out of the sun. Also all my coverups that go over my head are too tight to get on so my sarong from Tahiti will be in use. Every day I figure out new things I can't do but also am becoming much more dexterous with my left hand to my surprise.

Hopefully this reply doesnt get lost. Have a fine Friday!

Peps
on 4/5/24 11:07 am

I agree that OH is not running smoothly this week! There have been several occasions that the site has been down this week. I could not get on earlier today. I kept getting an error message that the "gateway" was encountering errors...

Nice to see Ocean Diane check in! Glad you are taking control of your minor (and understandable) weight gain. Hope Sadie is well.

I was up just a smidge on the scale today. Something like .4 of a pound, but enough to push me back up over the down 20 pound mark. I don't really care, though. One thing I have learned is that weight is never static!

I got a few chores done yesterday, but not as much as I "feel" I needed to do. Oh, well... maybe that's just a "me" thing. I rarely feel that I get all done what needs to get done.

One chore is already done for today - dog club committee meeting. I have a few more to go!

Took my shot last night. Not feeling any ill effects today so far. I think my body is getting used to the drug and the minor gut issues are going by the wayside. Fingers crossed.

Still way too cool and cloudy for my taste today. I was shocked we got pelted with hail and the peaks of Mt. Diablo were covered with snow yesterday. Not exactly average weather for April. Rain yes. Hail and snow, not so much!

Fun, Festive, Frivolous Friday to all!

CC C.
on 4/5/24 11:46 am

Hi all! Hi DianeO!

Not much to report here. Another unhelpful "training" session for Kirby yesterday. If I wouldn't have to see her when I went in the store, I would just skip the last two classes.

Very cloudy here and the possibility of rain later.

No more nausea. I will say, the drug doesn't make continued weight loss effortless. I can eat enough to maintain or even gain if my choices are bad enough. So really just clearing some of the hunger and head mess so I can make better choices. But I still need to make the better choices. It's good, but not a complete miracle.

Aside from that, still staring down the barrel of a long list of chores I don't want to do!

Take care all!

Peps
on 4/5/24 1:50 pm

Do you find though that when you make "less than stellar choices" for weight loss, that you are satisfied with much less than you were before starting the med?

I think you know that to keep my eating disorder in check, for the time being I am including dessert in my daily meal plans. I find that I'm satisfied with much less than I was prior to starting the med.

Granted I am trying a very non diet approach to my weight loss this time around, so my experience may not be applicable.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/5/24 2:33 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

For you (and probably most of us) the non diet approach is likely to be the most sustainable over time.

DiamondD
on 4/5/24 2:39 pm
VSG on 06/13/12

I can say yes. We have homemade fudge in our freezer since Christmas! I can open the container, take out one piece, close the lid, put it back, and enjoy the one piece I'm holding with great satisfaction.

Peps
on 4/5/24 4:09 pm

YES! I am feeling that way about chocolate and homemade cookies! (I do stay away from packaged and highly processed sweets like Oreos because that is "poking the bear" of my eating disorder...)

I think I mentioned that I had some Ritz Toasted Chips and those were also like crack! Have to stay away from some of those types of foods for the time being.

CC C.
on 4/5/24 2:44 pm

I would have said yes before this last weekend. Then quantity was not a barrier.

DiamondD
on 4/5/24 2:57 pm
VSG on 06/13/12

I will say CC, that I have ebbs and flows of what I can eat or not eat. I can not make any sense of it, no pattern, doesn't seem to be dose dependent. Maybe our own hormones ebb and flow and interact with the medications. Anyhow, I've been on Wegovy 11 months, and sometimes I've been surprised by what I can eat, and then sometimes it's like this week, and I can hardly eat at all.