VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Wednesday, April 17...

Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/17/24 5:36 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Yet another gorgeous day! I am typing this in a note first before trying to post on OH. It has been too funky lately. I wonder if it is going to fail completely at some point?

I had an interesting experience yesterday which I suspect was caused by the tirzepatide. I hadn't eaten breakfast but had coffee and was drinking water after our walk. The furniture had arrived and I was trying to be helpful where I could but I got super dizzy. Though it was better when I sat down it didn't go away until I had lunch. I am thinking low blood sugar? I guess I have to be careful about putting off eating too long.

I had an epiphany this morning that I have to plan traveling around taking the medication. I realized that I need something to keep it cold while on the plane but also that my next delivery will have to be early as I am in Aruba for 3 weeks at the beginning of June which is when my next shipment is due. I guess I will have to figure out when to notify them as I only have a 10 day window of time in Massachusetts when I could receive them.

DD - have you had to bring your Wegovy on a plane? If so, did you have to do anything special with it to get through security?

Today I will Justice walk, do some unpacking, and go to book club tonight. The book we read was The Women about a nurse in Vietnam and her experiences both there and upon her return to the US. Engrossing book that I read in 2 days. One of the book club people has invited her aunt who was a nurse in Vietnam. I am very much looking forward to it but what do I wear? People dress up for these things but I am limited by what I can get over my non-functional arm (nothing that isn't super stretchy that goes over my head whi*****ludes most of my casual dresses).

One piece of shocking news yesterday from a friend also in book club. Another member who is very prominent in our community had 2 strokes over the past 10 days and been diagnosed with metastatic pancreatic cancer. What a shock! I was chatting with her at the last book club meeting where she looked fabulous. She is a tall, large woman but had recently lost a fair amount of weight going to WW. She has always been an active woman, doing a lot of golfing and gardening and is probably a bit younger than me. You really never know what tomorrow will bring!

Enjoy every minute you can and spend it with the people you love and doing the things that most please you. Have a willing Wednesday.

diane S.
on 4/17/24 12:05 pm

Greetings all

Early check in for me on this spectacular sunny calm day. Perfect day to do something outside if I were so inclined which I am not. Maybe start the deck flowers. But meanwhile I sit here drinking coffee while the house is being cleaned. I feel blessed.

DH has been working on the garage junk and even mowed the front yard yesterday. I think he is grateful for the new car. We will see how long this lasts. He wants both cars to be garaged though I don't care if one sits out. But it's going to be musical cars since they both require charging. Since I had the new one out for several hours yesterday I suggested it would be a good time to charge the older one. Mission accomplished.

Gosh Liz, thats so sad about your book club friend. Stuff happens when you get old. I am grateful for my reasonably good health. I keep doing the treadmill even though some days I would sooner jump off a cliff. I think of my friend in the rehab hospital who has to stay there until she can stand up from a chair. She very nearly died when all this started. i gripe about our lack of local health care but they really brought her through this crisis. And we all need to practice getting out of a chair without arm assistance.

And interesting about how to travel with refrigerated meds. There is probably some youtube page about how to do it. Years ago someone I knew had to take $1000 worth of refrigerated insulin with her for extended stay in China. Not sure how that worked.

Once I get moving today I must go to the studio and do glazing. It needs to be done so it can be fired Friday and ready for next week. Featured artist event on the 27th which I dread but have to have something for it. Art is less fun when there is pressure. I have not been to the gallery for 10 days or so but have multiple trips next week.

So I am sort of plotting a road trip with the new car to deliver the whelping box. It's about 40 miles one way. A nice drive to our friends who live in a cabin in the redwoods. Plus the true motive is a stop on the way back to Gil's By the Bay that has outstanding crab sandwiches.

Thanks for all the crown stories. I have a few as well. Hoping DH can get in sooner than his appointment in a week or so. He kept insisting he was going to show up there first thing in the morning and thought they would just take him right in and reset it. I had to convince him that dental offices just don't work like that.

Hey Liz just wear some sweats with big earrings and a scarf and you will look dressed up! Enjoy book club.

Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/17/24 1:36 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

LOL - I did find a stretchy casual dress to wear (sweats would have a bit warm as it is 80 today). Oh and I only have one pair of earrings that I can put on with my one hand (DH can't do it - nor can he put my hair in an elastic or clip btw).

DiamondD
on 4/17/24 2:20 pm
VSG on 06/13/12

Haha, the things we find out about each other. Now I want to see if DH can put my hair in a ponytail or clawclip. I'm reasonably sure if he actually can, I won't like how it looks.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/17/24 2:27 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

My DH tried - not so good. My late DH was actually pretty good at doing ponytails and braiding our daughters' hair. He had to get them ready in the morning when I was working. Current DH never had that responsibility.

DiamondD
on 4/17/24 2:46 pm
VSG on 06/13/12

Wegovy can be unrefridgerated for up to 28 days. So they keep it cold at the pharmacy, but as long as you will use it in 28 days, you don't have to refrigerate. Don't know if that's the same for your medication. So I can toss my one use pen in my medication bag. I used to peel the prescription label off the box, and stick it on the pen, but now I don't even do that. I have not had one issue traveling with it, not even to Mexico. There are special containers on Amazon for transporting insulin, which has to be kept cool. Those should work for you too.

Your book club sounds amazing Liz! Love the guest speaker idea and the other activities you described. Such a sad story about your friend! Pancreatic Cancer is dreadful. After the last few years, I have profound gratitude just to be here, enjoying this world. More than cancer, pulmonary embolisms made me really think about mortality. More than once I've thought, I'm alive, I'm alive, I'm alive. We all have experienced moments, terribly sad or uplifting, that bring epiphanies. Gather ye rose buds while you may, Old time is still a flying.

Part of gathering rose buds was going to hear music, even if it meant going out on a work night. Well worth it. Celtic Woman certainly knows how to put on a show. My favorite part though, might have been the bagpipes. The bagpiper came out into the audience, and we were so fortunate that he stood right in front of us! Spectacular.

Now I am home from a somewhat uneventful day, reclining on my bed (oh how I love a 30 minute lay down after work) while I hear DH making another one of his famous frozen pizzas. It's all good.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/18/24 5:14 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

What type of frozen pizza does DH use?

CC C.
on 4/17/24 2:49 pm

I know with the pens, once they are at room temperature, they can stay there for 21 days. You shouldn't re-refrigerate them after they warm up. And never freeze them. I think they make diabeti**** pack holders for insulin. So maybe that?

Today was shot day and I was up 0.6 pounds. Weight loss is squirrelly sometimes.

I walked Kirby earlier as it's warmer today and I worry about his paws on the asphalt. We may need boots! Also, scourge of the west, there are foxtails everywhere and they can be deadly to dogs as they are barbed and work their way into their bodies. But I think he would be embarrassed to be walked with boots and a muzzle to stop him from eating them!

The landscape guys are finishing up here and I was able to give a couple of pots that the previous owners left behind to my neighbor. They didn't work with my new ones.

On Monday when I was leaving my neighborhood, there were a lot of search and rescue people at the trailhead at the bottom of my street. I thought maybe they were training, but I read today that a woman fell off a 140 ft cliff and died. She was hiking with her husband and one year old baby. The trauma for them having witnessed that! There have been so many deaths here this year. I think people who don't hike regularly just think it's a walk and they are not prepared with the right shoes and aren't careful.

Yummy combo if you've not tried it - cook a salmon filet and top it with a spoonful of the pesto you can buy by the refrigerated pastas. Gives it a little oomph.

I don't know that I know much else! Take care all!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/18/24 5:13 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Such sad news about the hiker - we saw it in the news but didn't realize it was so close to you. As DD expressed, we need to relish every day as we never know how many are left.

Peps
on 4/17/24 5:44 pm

Quick check in before kid concert starts soon. Been a very hectic two days. I had to go home and take a power nap before tonight's concert. LOL!

Weight is up 2 pounds from the low on Monday. I can live with that. I was probably a bit dehydrated and I ate some not so good things yesterday..... Salt and sugar laden. C'est la vie.

Tomorrow dose gets doubled again and then I am on my top dose unless I want to go to Wegovy levels, which cost more per month. We shall see how it goes.

Oooohhhh, Blitz and I donned the cover of the American Airedale magazine! Big surprise for me!

Gotta run....