Back On Track Together

Groups » Back On Track Togeth... » Discussion » Is this bad......wh...

Is this bad......what do you think?

LiL-Ray78
on 1/9/09 7:03 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
Is it okay to have a day where you do indulge a little?  One day a week if you plan and
 stick to it for the other six days?????  Is it okay to have a treat sometimes?

Thank you for your replies

cakebaby59
on 1/9/09 7:34 pm - Jamestown , ND
Ok...this is what I am doing for me...if I find myself wanting something that isn't so good for me I have it within the confines of MY rules.  The most important is if it's food...no fluids 30 min. before or after a meal and it becomes part of the next meal I have.  For me...there can be no bad foods...I can't live like that...but I also know that for me to be healthy and at a good healthy weight I must keep certain foods to a minimum.  That's ok as long as I know I can have them from time to time...
Hope this helps...Linda
" When you are down and out, lift up your head and shout, BUY ME A PRESENT!!!"
CarolynK
on 1/9/09 8:07 pm - Canton, MI
For me, it depends on the reason for indulging and what I am indulging on!  To me an indulgance is having a sm piece of birthday cake, or sharing a dessert with DH when we go out with friends. 

Yesteray I indulged and had too much popcorn (mindless grazing at theater)  Other wise I really don't have any foods that are No No's as long as I work them into my day.

I did over indulge over my vacation and holidays, but fortunately I did not gain!  Didn't lose so that was a plus.  But now I am paying for that, not in weight gain, but getting my body back to where it wants the better things instead of the "junk"

So in my opinion, work your indulgance into your day and you will be OK.  Or if it you need to yup your exercise to burn off your indulgance! 

Highest 360  Surgery 333 Current 168 Goal 150
BMI Highest 65.8 Current 32  Height 5'2"
Hernia Repair/TT 9.23.08

minischnauz
on 1/9/09 9:03 pm
 I'm probably not the best person to answer this question since I over-indulged myself yesterday.  We had a family get-together last night and when my family is involved, count on lots of delicious food.  I knew I was going to eat things I probably shouldn't and I was probably going to eat too much and I was right.  I did.  To me back on track is about trying to lose the weight I regained but if I try to be perfect, I'm setting myself up for complete failure.  I look at it as though last night happened, it will happen again sometime in the future and that's ok.  I can't be perfect, but I can be better.  I had my regular breakfast and lunch yesterday (being very diet conscious) I did my exercise like I should and last night I over-indulged.  So what?  Today I'm back on track again and I didn't use the excuse that I was going to overeat last night so why not pig out all day.  In the past that's what I would have done, so things are better now and better is Great!  I might not be able to be perfect, but I can be better.  It's my new mantra.  Hope this helps.
barbccrn
on 1/9/09 10:13 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I don't overindulge once a week. But I do have my times. I think the important thing is to make those days the exception to the rules we normally follow and most important...make it a single day and get back on track ASAP!!!!!

PhotobucketPhotobucket

LiL-Ray78
on 1/9/09 11:31 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
Thank you for your responses.  This is a hot issue at my job, there are 5 of us that are "getting back on track" one who happens to be my supervisor and her birthday is coming up.  An email went around stating that they want to get her chocolate cupcakes with fudge icing.  Now I suggested that since she is trying really hard to watch what she eats lets not tempt her at work.  I suggested a fruit tray with dip.  Well boy did I get scolded.  I was told that they were her favorite and she looks forward to them.  My thinking was that her family was going to treat her that day.  I was told that everyone needs to indulge sometimes and without a cheat day we would fail.

Cathy W.
on 1/9/09 11:41 pm
I indulge a little sometimes.  I am aware though and my yellow caution light goes on a little bit.  Like I've shared here previously, I think that the important thing about indulging is that it is limited to one day/one meal, etc.  The most important day is the day after.  I commit strongly to getting right back on track and stay on track. 

Weight regain doesn't occur with just one indulgence.  It is the ongoing pattern of getting off track more than we're on track.  It is the continual days and what we do rather than one day or one instance of indulging.

I also think that if we are rigid with ourselves that the opposite will occur at some point which is overeating or binging.  I don't think the road to being on track is perfection but living our lives and that includes occasional indulgences but getting right back to our normal food program.

I like your idea of fruit or a non-food celebration especially since she is getting back on track too.  I would appreciate you doing that for me.  With Mom's Day we used to go to an all you can eat buffet at a nice restaurant.  A few years ago, we changed it to taking a walk or hike together as a family.  It is much more of a celebration in being together than scarfing down a large quantity of food and feeling gross after.

It seems as though since there is a group of you planning this and are on track together, it will be a group decision.  I think you should feel great though about your preference and desire to celebrate in a healthier food way.

Cathy

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

LiL-Ray78
on 1/10/09 12:22 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Thank you Cathy for your information

mcnotk
on 1/10/09 9:13 am
Cathy, well said.. you now all the times I've lost weight before what would happen, without even being conscious of it... I'd have a few fries one day and the scale would not change.. so then i'd have an order of fries again no scale change.. then it would turn into fries daily and before you knew it the scale was going up.. I'm using fries as an example but it could be dessert, of something else..     If you have someting on occasion it should not be bad but when you make it a daily event it will catch up with you.. Maria