It’s Spring! Time for Adding Something Shiny and New to Your LifeApril 27, 2014
Regardless of where you live, spring has arrived and with it comes the start of new beginnings and opportunities for us to thrive. For people considering or already in the throes of weight-loss surgery, a new start toward health and wellness is already underway. At this time of year, I am encouraging my patients introduce something new to their weight-loss journeys.
Here are my five favorite springtime tips to continue your weight-loss momentum and revel in the glory of the season:
1) Eat “real” food as often as you can. By now, you’ve found out what “clean eating” is and how delicious it can be. Take advantage of farmers’ markets or spend an hour at the grocery store smelling, touching and selecting an array of fresh vegetables and fruits to enjoy.
2) You are taking control of your food intake, your health ─ and your surroundings. Make your home clean and clutter-free. Pick a room, a closet or a piece of furniture and get rid of what is not needed, used or appreciated. Your goal is to create a tidy, relaxing environment. Start with the room where you spend the most time.
3) Change up the exercise regime. Stuck in the gym all winter? Get a bike and start riding. Jog in the park instead of the treadmill. Borrow a neighbor’s dog and treat Fido to a brisk walk. Try exercising with a friend. Consider finding a personal trainer who understands where you are on the weight-loss journey and is ready to help you boost your metabolism.
4) Swap recipes. Regardless of your food program, reach out to others and share what you love. They will be happy to reciprocate. You can get some great tips from people in the same boat. Not 100% sure the food, beverage or vitamin is right for you? Just call or email your nutritionist for guidance.
5) Try something new. Haven’t visited the nearby beach or the mountains in five years? Then head over and perform your exercise of choice during your visit. Been meaning to try water aerobics? Find a course that fits your schedule and ask if you can sample a class at no charge.
It’s a new day and a new season just waiting for you to grab it and make it memorable. The world around you is just waiting for you to make your mark. Go for it!
ABOUT THE AUTHORDr. Ayotunde Adeyeri is a New Jersey board certified, fellowship-trained, advanced laparoscopic, bariatric and general surgeon. He is the Medical Director of Sterling Surgicare in Holmdel, NJ, and Co-Medical Director of Central Jersey Bariatrics in Freehold. He specializes in performing a wide range of bariatric procedures including RNY gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy, duodenal switch (DS), gastric banding and revision bariatric surgery.
Read more articles by Dr. Adeyeri!