Any Suggestions for Hospital Stay bag?

Simplyb
on 3/21/17 8:21 pm
RNY on 04/12/17

Own pillow instead of those plastic things and bleached to death pillow cases? (Also good for pot hole rides home).

Own blanket, feels soft and not bleached?

Heating Pad to help pass gas, has anyone tried this?

Charger and iPad and Phone, loaded with movies and music.

Weight Loss book?

Brush, dry shampoo spray, toothpaste, toothbrush with own towel and moist wash clothes (bleach again)? And a basket to organize my stuff.

Own pj's, slippers, non-slip socks and comfy easy to put on clothes for the ride home.

Plastic cup - I hate styrofoam.

any other suggestions or am I over thinking this?

Surgery: RNY April 12/2017 - Humber River Hospital

Current Weight: 225 lbs

BluIzGal
on 3/22/17 1:40 am, edited 3/21/17 6:41 pm - Canada
RNY on 07/10/12

I had the big bag packed. Other than clean underwear/socks to go home in, 2 in 1 shampoo and toothbrush/paste, I used nothing in it. I found it was easier to wear the hospital gown. I felt more stable walking in my socks than slippers. If it wasn't for a lap around the unit and getting up to use the washroom I was out cold from the meds. Didn't use my phone enough to need a charger and was too tired to read or listen to my iPod. Feel free to pack it all but don't be surprised at how little you use.

Patricia

Insert Fitness
on 3/22/17 3:50 am

Congrats on your surgery! Exciting times!

I live close enough to the hospital that I was only there one night. I didn't really need anything. I found the pillows and blankets fine. With the iv , it's easier to wear the hospital gown, I just wore two, front and back. I wore hospital booties to walk. All your time is spent either walking or sleeping. All I needed was my iphone. Maybe ear plugs would be good. But even then, they wake you up every four hours to check on you and give you meds, or get you to the bathroom or up walking. So it's not like you're in for a full nights sleep anyway. It goes by super quick. You'll be home before you know it!

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

Ginnny
on 3/22/17 3:58 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Um you might be over thinking it.

I don't think you'll notice the hospital blankets/sheets....your own pillow might be a good idea.

Don't bother with a heating pad they'll give you warm blankets if you ask.

Phone and iPad, don't worry about loading them up, you'll be sleeping or walking.

Your toiletries. I took a pair of pajamas as the IVs were pulled out the next morning and I took my flip flops.

Don't worry about a plastic cup because you will be sipping out of little plastic medicine cups.

Good luck.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

JubileeRocks
on 3/22/17 6:40 am

Honestly, the best thing I brought was ear plugs and an eye mask for sleeping. Hospitals are bright and they are loud, and after your surgery you will want to have some uninterrupted sleep. I also used my toothbrush, toothpaste, moist wash cloths and my brush.

Referral January 2016, Orientation May 2016, Surgery January 30, 2017

HW: 306.7, SW: 286.5

Please feel free to visit my blog at https://julieshrinks.wordpress.com

Meggles07
on 3/22/17 9:17 am - Canada

I was in for two days and I used my socks, underwear, slippers, hairbrush, toothbrush, deodorant, phone and charger, and ear plugs (wish I had my sleeping mask because my roommate was in a lot of pain and the nurses checked on her every 30 minutes). I overpacked way too much stuff. I was too tired to read or watch TV, and I spent most of my awake time walking the halls. They provided anything else I might have needed. Lugging extra stuff was annoying, so next time I know to pack light (hahaha I'm terrible at that ?).

Meg~

Kathy1212
on 3/22/17 9:43 am

A pillow to hold against your tummy for the ride home is a great idea! My friend brought one for me and I couldn't have done without it...too many potholes, lol.

I packed a big bag too and only used fresh underwear and socks. I brought no slip socks for walking, and changed them every time I got back in bed so I wouldn't bring any germs into bed after walking. I didn't bother with my pajamas because the hospital gowns made it easier for the nurses; I just put another one on backward as a housecoat when I walked.

I used my brush, the dry shampoo, my toothbrush, etc., toiletries. and my Biotene spray for dry mouth was a Godsend. The nurses wouldn't let me use the GasX strips.

I was in for 2 nights and read and used my laptop a lot; couldn't have done without it. I didn't sleep a lot because my roommate was noisy.

THis may be TMI, but I had trouble peeing in the hospital; I'd have to go, but then it would take 20 minutes of sitting for it to start. The nurses said it was normal but I never heard anyone else talk about it. My book really helped to pass the time while I waited, lol.

Good luck with your surgery, and keep us updated. Big hugs,

Kathy

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Simplyb
on 3/22/17 10:25 am
RNY on 04/12/17

Gas x strips? They sound like a dream, where did you get them from?

i know you said the nurse said no way but if I can't pass gas I may as well roll over and die or explode....

After my hysterectomy I tried everything, downward dog yoga, walking miles upon miles, dre, peppermint tea, heating pad, lying on my left side and in the end I was given gas x - I do not want to go through that again, ever!

Kathy1212
on 3/22/17 11:59 am

I bought them at the pharmacy; I've seen them at just about every pharmacy, next to the regular gasX. They're flat green strips that melt in your mouth and taste like mint. I really like them, they're refreshing, and they really help.

I agree, gas pains are awful.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Simplyb
on 3/22/17 2:04 pm
RNY on 04/12/17

Went straight out and bought them! Will ask the Dr when I go to sign consent.

thank you!

Most Active
Recent Topics