Went in for DS came out with VSG

grisaille
on 2/29/12 2:18 am - NC
Well, for those who chose VSG, can you sell me on it?  I had not researched it much as being here at Duke with my heavy BMI and lots of co-morbodities, I went for the DS.  Too many internal problems when they got in my gut to do the DS and were barely able to do the sleeve.  Maybe a 100 pounds lost, we could revisit it but insurance would be iffy.

Just so disoriented . . . am 6 days out . . . .

HW 369  SW 369 GW 199
(deactivated member)
on 2/29/12 2:24 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Oh boo, friend. I know its a serious bummer when you got something that was not what you were prepared for. 

I will poke some folks who walked the heavyweight road really well and ask them to come and share.

Welcome to the board! 
Marlalondon
on 2/29/12 2:26 am - United Kingdom
Well, that must be disorientating. But i think you will love your sleeve in the end. And. If you're worried about not losing enough, there's one guy on here who has lost 300lbs so you should lose all you want to. I'm still a newbie but visit this forum often and you'll get loads of encouragement and inspirational stories. You'll
also learn the rules. By the way I've lost 40lbs and was only sleeved at the beginning of Jan!
NanfromSan
on 2/29/12 2:34 am
VSG on 12/09/14
Wow!  I didn't even know they could do that without your consent!  Well at least you got SOMETHING done to help you lose weight.  The bright side is that some people don't get anythign paid for by insurance...or don't qualify for anything due to health reasons.  So at least you will still lose weight and improve.  Also, less side effects with malabsorption!

Start weight:  252 pounds 

High weight:  268 pounds

Cindy22706
on 2/29/12 2:36 am - California, MD
VSG on 02/08/12
There are tons of heavyweights on this board that got VSG and have been successful. I am sure they will chime in sometime.

acbbrown
on 2/29/12 2:36 am - Granada Hills, CA
Wow - what a shock.

Well, I can tell you that the VSG is still a great tool that CAN get you to your goal. I'm about to hit 200 lbs lost and I have no doubts that I will hit my goal.

Regardless of surgery type, the  amount of commitment and dedication required to making smart, healthy choices is the same, and ultimately, that commitment is what will determine your success.

Come join us on the BMI over 50 board where there are lots of us who have started out with high BMIs and many who have had tons of success.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 2/29/12 2:40 am
I am sorry, I can only imagine how disorienting and disappointing it is to want one surgery and come out with another. 

On a happier note, I personally know a number of heavyweights that have the sleeve and have reached goal weight and in some instances even below goal weight with the sleeve.  I would tell you that every single one of the truly successful heavyweights I know worked their sleeve and their program really hard in the first year.  Contact Frisco and Jimbo and pick their brains a bit, they are two former heavyweights that are amazing role models.  As a matter of fact, if I was in your shoes, I would read just about every post that Frisco has written and follow in his footsteps.  I think you might find that this was a great blessing masquerading as a curse.   Welcome to this board, we are a great group of really helpful people.  Ask anything and we will be there for you.
sleevegirl
on 2/29/12 2:49 am - Austin, TX
100 pounds? Pshaw! I blew that out of the water at less than 6 months. I'm now at 125 down. I'm still losing too. YOU CAN DO THIS.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Dawnie 88
on 2/29/12 2:53 am
I'm sorry you didn't get what you had expected, as far as surgery choice..but i hope you find that you are even happier with the sleeve alone.  I feel fantastic..and am so happy with my choice.  My BMI was 58.9 when I had the sleeve.  Best of luck to you..hope you are doing well!

Ashley S.
on 2/29/12 2:55 am
VSG on 05/04/10 with
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 119 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 352 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 401 views