Hospital Bag? what to bring?

sarahr0
on 5/14/12 10:37 am
VSG on 05/16/12
 I'm getting sleeved on wednesday... last minute tips on what to pack?

Sarah . 28yr . 5'0 . Female . Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania 
SW: 244.1 Surgery day weight:(5-16-12) 231.3   CW: 189.2   GW: 120lbs

hello_knitty
on 5/14/12 11:12 am - CO
VSG on 05/15/12
 I'm getting sleeved tomorrow. Is your surgery local? I'm packing a pillow, slippers, extra underwear, toothbrush, toothpaste, cell phone, and phone charger. 

louisamay
on 5/14/12 11:25 am
VSG on 04/27/12
Yes! Pillow!  I too my own, and it helped.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

louisamay
on 5/14/12 11:14 am, edited 5/14/12 11:23 am
VSG on 04/27/12
I ended up needing nothing much but what I wore home, which is what I wore to the hospital the previous morning.

I had nausea the entire time I was there, was pretty woozy from taking hydrocodone, and as far as I recall, didn't do anything except sleep and maybe talk to my husband, the nurses, as needed, and walk when I was told to.  Oh, and drink/eat the clear liquid diet.

Others have suggested a book to read.  Some people post from the hospital--not sure whether on laptop, iPhone, or something else. 

The one thing I would have done different may be fairly unique to my situation.  I couldn't use a morphine drip so they gave me liquid Lortab.  I don't know how typical that is.  The Lortab is horrible. It tastes horrible.  Then there were the GasX strips. And it seems like there was one other thing that I had to drink to take. (Has it been less than three weeks ago? LOL)  The build-up of tastes coating my mouth and tongue was so horrible, that did nothing to help with the nausea.  Just drinking the Lortab might my through clench.

Only after I got home did I figure out how nasty everything was tasting--shakes and everything--largely because of my mouth.  If I knew then what I knew now, I would either brush my teeth or rinse my mouth out with sal****er after every dose of nasty.  As it was, I probably brushed my teeth once a day and between pain and nausea didn't even think about it beyond that.

As I said, that may be my own unique thing, but that's what would have helped me, and frankly, I think the sal****er or baking soda would be even better than toothpaste to cleanse my mouth, because the sal****er really cut through the taste and didn't leave its own taste afterward.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/12 11:19 am - United Arab Emirates
i took a whole lot of things that i ended up not needing... all you need is a clean pair of underwear and comfy flipflops :)
jacreasy
on 5/14/12 11:29 am, edited 5/13/12 11:30 pm
VSG on 04/23/12
Camera (ask your Doc to take pic in OR (they use their own, I have one on my profile) COOL!
TAMPONDS or PADS a MUST (I started the day after surgery, and already had it for the mo. of April)
Chap stick
Mouthwash (your mouth will be so dry its not even funny)

Didn't really use anything else, boyfriend brought me a pillow next day...

GOOD LUCK, KEEP US POSTED

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

kimbethin
on 5/14/12 12:44 pm - CA
lip balm, shampoo and conditioner samples, slippers and robe, Wore the same clothes there and back- elastic waist and comfy.  I needed my own pillow, I'm a baby that way.  hand lotion, Brush, hair band,  I was not able to concentrate well enough to do anything bu****ch tv.  No reading no lap top but I'm a cheap date with the pain meds.  good luck with your surgery!
putting one foot in front of the other...        
hello_knitty
on 5/14/12 12:58 pm - CO
VSG on 05/15/12
 oh yes, lip balm!  that's a good idea.  also a brush and hair tie.

NUJoyce
on 5/14/12 1:53 pm - Hayward, CA
I took a lot but only used lip balm and hairbrush and ties.  I wore home what I wore to the hospital.    I used their fancy slipper socks.   I also used a pad and pen to write.   I had my cell phone and charger.   I couldn't read because something went whacky with my eye sight for 4-5 days and then everything was fine.

Good luck

Georgie Mayhem
on 5/14/12 2:29 pm - New Zealand
Small pillow is a god sent, also lip balm as your lips get extre,ly dry and you will need this

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 401 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 428 views