Recent Posts

Member Services
on 8/28/14 11:53 am - Irvine, CA
Topic: At the OH Conference #OH2014, Graham Elliot reveals....

Check out the videos of Graham's first ever "Fireside Chat" interview.

You'll find out what he has to say about how having weight loss surgery has impacted his wife and kids, find out who he told first about his decision to have WLS, even though he is a chef and MasterChef judge-what he NO LONGER eats, what he thinks about WLS as the "easy way out," his thoughts on being approached about his WLS and questions from others if they should have WLS, and much, much more! 

Be prepared to laugh, motivated and inspired. 

Member Services
on 8/16/14 7:48 am - Irvine, CA
Topic: The schedule for today....

The agenda for today at the #OH Conference is exciting!  You can check out the live updates along with others in the OH community. 

Here's a preview of today's line-up.  The times are in Pacific time so make sure to adjust for your time zone:

Featured Keynote with Q&A @ 9:20 a.m. to 10:20 a.m.
Chef Graham Elliot

Educational Keynote, Dr. Scott Cunneen @ 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
What to do When the Honeymoon is Over

Diana Vogel, MS, MFT Intern @ 1:00 p.m. to 1:50 p.m.
What to Expect When You’re Expecting…Surgery to Work

Kyle Brown, BA, CCN, CSCS, YFS, CMTA, NASM-CPT @ 1:00 p.m. to 1:50 p.m.
How Much Does the Zebra Weigh?

Dr. Jacqueline Jacques @ 2:00 p.m. to 2:50 p.m.
Re-Defining Success After Bariatric Surgery

Dr. Alejandro Quiroz @ 2:00 p.m. to 2:50 p.m.
Exploring Your Reconstructive Plastic Surgery Options

Jill Temkin, MA, RAS, TEP @ 3:00 p.m. to 3:50 p.m.
Six Steps To Success When Coping With Addiction After Weight Loss Surgery

Dr. J. Timothy Katzen @ 3:00 p.m. to 3:50 p.m.
Reconstructive Plastic Surgery After Weight Loss Surgery

Q&A with the Professional Panel @ 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Dr. Siamak Agha
Jill Temkin, MA, RAS, TEP
Kyle Brown, BA, CCN, CSCS, YFS, CMTA, NASM-CPT
Jacqueline Jacques, ND, FTOS
Angela Taylor, LCSW
Dr. Elias Ortiz

Have a great day!

Member Services
on 8/15/14 8:31 am - Irvine, CA
Topic: Keep up with the happenings at the #OH2014 Conference

For the first time ever, we will be doing live updates for the #OH2014 Conference.  The Conference starts today and goes through Saturday, 8/16/14.  Keep up with what's happening at the Conference:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/2014-obesityhelp-nationa l-conference-live-updates

Want to see the fun and education that is going on?  Check - http://www.obesityhelp.com/photos/tag/OH2014/

Join us! 

MrsDean10
on 7/21/14 12:19 pm
Topic: Medicaid

Who do I contact with Medicaid about seeing if im approved for surgery?

Member Services
on 6/23/14 7:16 pm - Irvine, CA
Member Services
on 4/30/14 11:50 am - Irvine, CA
Topic: Exciting announcement - The keynote speaker for our 2014 Conference is.......

We are honored to announce our keynote speaker for the ObesityHelp National Conference 2014.  Our keynote speaker is the one and only ....

SarahSmiles123
on 4/10/14 8:53 pm - Philippi, WV
Topic: RE: Anyone have to deal with stupid PEIA?

I am also wondering about the one year waiting period.  I will be starting a new job in August and would love to have it while I am off work.  Otherwise I don't know when I'll be able to have it.  Is there a way to get it approved faster?  I have diabetes, hypertension, and sleep apnea.  Thanks

skinnygirl1978
on 3/30/14 9:52 am
Topic: RE: Torn, Depressed and plain Pissed

Like Brenda, I am sorry I am just now seeing this post. I haven't been online for quite some time.  I hope this issue has resolved for you and you have been able to have surgery.  It is so frustrating to have weight loss surgery because insurances see things differently-- because this surgery is "elective", they hold up so many obstacles for patients to get approved that they hope you get discouraged and decide not to have it.  Medicare made a decision back in the early 2000's (I think around 2003 or 2004) that anyone with Medicare who wants weight loss surgery MUST have it done at a facility that is certified as a Center of Excellence, which means their program does great work and has great outcomes.  If you type in Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence, it should give you a link to who all is certified in your area.  Again, I hope you have gotten to go ahead and have the procedure, but if not, don't give up.  Where there is a will, there is a way.

Kim Gyurina, OH Staff
on 2/18/14 10:37 am - Irvine, CA
Topic: Announcing: ObesityHelp Conference 2014

You've contacted us since the 2013 Conference so here is the 4-1-1:  We are excited to announce the details for the ObesityHelp Conference 2014. 

The conference for this year will be held in Los Angeles, California on August 15-16, 2014.

To sign up for the latest updates and other details, check our OH Blog.

Please join us for the fun, education, information and vendor samples.

Kim Gyurina
Member Services
on 1/13/14 8:51 am - Irvine, CA
Topic: Remembering OH in 1998 and Now

We encourage you to join us as we celebrate ObesityHelp in 1998 and now.  Many members will remember the screens shown in this video and will enjoy the walk down memory lane.  If you're new, you'll like the strides and successes we've had during our 16 years with our members. 

Please like and share on the video from our OH Facebook page. 

We proudly present "Making the Journey Together for 16 Years" . . . . . . . .

rxtech932002
on 9/20/13 8:26 pm - charleston, wv
VSG on 02/26/14 with
Topic: RE: Hello West Virginia is there anybody out there?

CAMC is a center of bariactric excellence too. I decided against Dr. Nease while he is a good doc. Huntington is an hr away from me here in Charleston and with my cardiac history I didnt want to chance it if something did go wrong some strange cardiac dr taking care of me. Camc is also where i had my open heart surgery and my heart caths done so they have record of my cardiac history and all  my cardiologist would have to do i go across the river. Which is alot easier than an hr away. Which surgery are you having?

rxtech932002
on 9/20/13 8:21 pm - charleston, wv
VSG on 02/26/14 with

Im in process of having my surgery done at CAMC Weight Loss Center. Ive had several friends of mine that have it done there as well and they are great folks. I was in process last yr but due to my job loss at CAMC due to my heart condition i had to start all over under my spouses insurance which is Anthem BC/BS but through UFCW local 400 which is through the union at kroger. I am a canidate. I had my 3 month appointment yesterday and i was originally was going for the gastric bypass, but even though my cardiologist recommended lap band. Dr Shin who is my surgeon and i discussed and Im going with the gastric sleeve due to my medication requirements like heart meds and seizure meds. im diabetic as well and on insulin. My 6th month visit will be in Jan so im hoping for surgery sometime in jan or feb 2014

brenda_m
on 9/9/13 5:45 pm - Renick, WV
RNY on 10/21/13 with

Just checking in with you to see if you had your surgery yet? How ya doing?

brenda_m
on 9/9/13 5:37 pm - Renick, WV
RNY on 10/21/13 with

I had my last visit with my PCP this morning. 6 months of diet and exercise done and being submitted to my surgeon. I went to see him a few weeks ago and he scheduled me for surgery. He was very happy with my progress and decided to schedule me without approval. So he must feel pretty confident about me being approved. Ive had people on here tell me there is no pre-approval for medicare as far as the 6 month diet and exercise but I believe here in WV there is. Im scheduled for the 21st of Oct. I really dont think I will have any problems getting approved. Im down 73 lbs since the 1st week in April. Dr. Nease wanted me to get my BMI down between 55-60. I started at 70. Im currently at 59. So by the time surgery comes around, Im hoping to be even lower.

Barbara1978
on 9/9/13 3:40 pm

Im on disability medicaid  and going to be medicare before 2 long. They approved you for WLS with medicare?  thank you

Member Services
on 8/19/13 1:36 pm - Irvine, CA
Topic: Do you know.......

Do you know......our founder, Eric Klein, created ObesityHelp back in 1998 and we've been the source of information, support and education for bariatrics since that time.

Do you know.....that ObesityHelp organized and hosted the first ever National Conference for pre-ops, post-ops, and individuals considering weight loss surgery?

Please join us as we celebrate our history with the OH community of 65 events in 26 states since 2004, and our 2013 Event on October 4-5, 2013 in Anaheim, California!!

brenda_m
on 7/9/13 6:33 pm - Renick, WV
RNY on 10/21/13 with

Hi there,

Dr Nease came very highly recommended. After meeting him and going thru the seminar, he seems very trustworthy. You can check him out on cabell huntingtons website. And cabell is a COE (center of excellence) facility. I have 2 more months of the 6 month diet and exercise so I can have surgery. Im sure you will love Dr Nease. Good Luck and keep us posted.

by the way, I am 4 hrs away from him. Might wanna check with your ins. co just to make sure they cover WLS and what the requirements are. Maybe you can get started on your pre-op stuff.

rxtech932002
on 7/9/13 6:12 pm - charleston, wv
VSG on 02/26/14 with

Hi Brenda,

Im from Charleston and was originally going to Dr Shin until I lost my insurance through CAMC so I could only go to Dr Shin due to CAMC insurance requirements. However during my 1 yr checkup with my cardiologist he recommended Dr Nease so they are calling me in a referral to him. My mom has a friend that Dr Nease did weight loss surgery on her and her husband and they got amazing results. Even though it is an hr from me Im hoping my husbands insurance through Kroger will cover Cabell Huntington.

rxtech932002
on 7/9/13 5:54 pm - charleston, wv
VSG on 02/26/14 with

hi, I knew of this forum for awhile now. I was seeing Dr Shin at the CAMC WLS for awhile till i lost my insurance through CAMC due to disability. I have had several friends that have had surgery at the CAMC WLS and have had great results. However my cardiologist referred me to Dr Nease at Cabell Huntington in Huntington which is an hr away rather than CAMC. Im hoping someone can shed some light on Dr Nease as a surgeon and how the staff is at cabell

PurplePajamaMama
on 6/17/13 12:41 pm

Hello all!  I am also from WV but looks like most of you are north, south or west of me!!  I live about 50 miles from D.C. and am within minutes of VA & MD state lines.  I actually had my WLS in Winchester, VA.  I am almost 2 years post op from the RNYGB.  I am definitely on the maintenance phase of the program.  Wishing the best to all of you who are just starting out on your journey or have only just begun.