Recent Posts

overtherainbow
on 5/24/06 2:13 am - Somerville, MA
Topic: Philadelphia Gathering of Friends of WLS
Philadelphia Gathering of Friends of WLS Friday, October 6, 2006 - Sunday, October 8, 2006 Adults Only Registration Deadline is September 1, 2006 Late Registration Deadline is September 15, 2006 These weekend gatherings are about meeting and connecting with people who can understand the journey we all have taken and to have fun with fellow WLSers and support people. And this year is something a little special, a Halloween Costume Ball! You can even win prizes for your costumes! So grab your ghoulish gear and come see Philly in the Fall. We have finalized the Hotel Information for the Philadelphia gathering. The cost of the hotel is $99.00/per night, this is per room. You can call the hotel to make your reservations at 1-800-325-3535 or (215)547-4100 by September 15, 2006: Ask for "FRIENDS OF WLS". Sheraton Bucks County Hotel 400 Oxford Valley Road Langhorne, PA 19047 The hotel has a pool, hot tub, sauna and gym for guests to use at no charge. As a lot of people did at past gatherings, we recommend doubling and tripling up in rooms. If you are flying into Philly, the best choice is Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) which is about 30 minutes south of the hotel on I-95; but you could also fly into Newark Airport (EWR) in New Jersey, which is about 1.5 hrs from the hotel. Cabs are available to the hotel, but we will try to organize our own little shuttle service, if we know what time people are coming into the Philadelphia airport. Remember, "You have a Friend in Pennsylvania" is our state motto- we will get you to the hotel! Please feel free to bring your Significant other or Support person, but children will not be allowed at the Friday night or Saturday night events. In addition, the Philadelphia area has a wealth of nearby attractions and shopping. The hotel is down the street from Sesame Place for those interested in a family activity. We will be releasing a full itinerary later, but a very brief overview is as follows: Friday, October 6, 2006 Mix & Mingle, evening Saturday, October 7, 2006 Sight seeing, during the day Dinner/Dancing a the Halloween Costume Ball Sunday, October 8, 2006 Farewell Breakfast Here are the costs associated with the weekend. COSTS: Deadline: September 1, 2006 Post -Op $ 72.00 Pre-Op/Sup $ 78.00 This includes: Registration fee: $25.00 Saturday night meal: Post-op ($35.00) Pre-op ($38.00) Sunday breakfast: Post-op ($12.00) Pre-op ($15.00) COSTS: Deadline: September 15, 2006 - LATE REGISTRATION- Money Orders Only will be accepted Post -Op $ 97.00 Pre-Op/Sup $ 103.00 This includes: Registration fee: $50.00 Saturday night meal: Post-op ($35.00) Pre-op ($38.00) Sunday breakfast: Post-op ($12.00) Pre-op ($15.00) We are still working on some of the details and activities, so more information is to follow. The registration forms are posted on the Philadelphia website: www.geocities.com/philly_wls_gathering/ or you can email us for it: [email protected] Please feel free to email Steve or me at [email protected], if you have questions or need more information. We can't wait to see you all there!!!
Beth WV Mom
on 5/19/06 1:38 pm - Eastern Panhandle, WV
Topic: RE: new grandson
CONGRATULATIONS, KATHY ON BEING GRANDMA---AGAIN! Thank God, He does answer prayers! Beth
Beth WV Mom
on 5/19/06 1:36 pm - Eastern Panhandle, WV
Topic: RE: Needing some helpful advice`
Dear Sabrina: Weight Loss Surgery has to be a personal pursuit of your own happiness. No one can make that decision for you. Sure, any surgery has lots of risks...but do the risks outweigh what is going to happen to you in the long run? I was in the same boat. I took my time, though. I wanted to think it through. The more I research it...the more determined I am to get the GPS done. No one person can tell you what to do. Sometimes I wish God had a neon sign just to tell me what to do; however, I just have to go on my research, my intuition, how I want to feel 5 years from now. I, too, had Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome/Disease. I had to have a hysterectomy in 2003 and as you know...most women gain weight after hysterectomies. I am tired of being fat, tired, & sick. So, I decided to get information about it...calculate medical bills in the next five years (if I live that long)...and then I decided....weight loss surgery is for me. Sure, I have family that are non-supportive of me. But, they are NOT living in my body. They sure aren't walking in my shoes. So, I said to all of them, "Thanks for your concern..." and went on deciding. My dad & sister are scared for me. My husband and children (teens) are supportive. My friends are half & half. But, they are not me! I am sick a lot. My dad & sister are healthy. My dad is 75 years old and walks 6 miles a day. But, I have different genetics...and his decision cannot be my decision. Somedays I'll be just like you are. Sad & depressed. But, I want to do this for me. I know everyone will die someday. But, I want to live a nice life while I'm here. Depression is hard. I finally had to give up and tell my doctor (a female dr) that I was teary eyed a lot and told her I was having a hard time. She helped. I had to go on meds short-term...but, it was worth it. I have more energy now...and I feel as though this decision is for me. So, if you need encouragement...you write me and I will encourage you. Yes, the surgery could kill you. But, eating emotionally, being sad, doing NOTHING can kill too. Hang in there Sabrina. You need to take care of yourself. Tomorrow is a new day. Begin that new day with a prayer and begin searching more about the surgery. Find a doctor in West Virginia. Find out if your assistance can help you in getting the surgery paid for. One step at a time....ok? I know how you feel. I've been in your shoes so many times. But, it's time to put on a new pair of shoes...and begin a new journey. Find out the facts...then make the decision--that's the best encouragement I can give. Email me anytime....ok? Have a good weekend. Hug your kids and let them know you love them. And, don't ask them what mommy should do about having the surgery. This is YOUR decision.... Beth
lynnssong
on 5/17/06 3:52 am - scott depot, WV
Topic: RE: Needing some helpful advice`
Hi Sabrina, I am so sorry that you are having no support in your decesion, but I hope that you realize that ultimately it should be for you. I know that the support means lots. I think that you have to give yourself a chance to live your life. I hate to hear that at such a young age you find life miserable. I know that the weight can be such an issue. I also know how it feels to try to lose weight and feel you are getting no where. I am in the stages of waiting for a surgery date. I know that I have went back and forth several times, and it is because my Mom is so worried about what could happen to me, but I am tired of having my weight be an issue. I know that my life is going by and I am tired of feeling self conscious of the weight on my body. I am tired of not being able to walk with out it hurting. I ache so much. So I know exactly how you feel I worry too. I think that you have to also consider what your life will be like if you dont. I have had many friends who have had it and there are some downssides but for the most part they are all good. A chance to feel good about who you are. I think that the downside is the emotional eating and learning not to eat when you are upset or needing comfort,but that is an issue either way you go. I wish you well and I hope that you consider your self in your decesion too. I hope you well. take care Lynn
ksnider
on 5/16/06 11:49 pm - Mannington, WV
Topic: new grandson
Hello all and good morning, Well last Thursday at 5:58 p.m. my new grandson was born. His name is Caden Antonio Acevedo. He weighed 5 lbs 7 ozs and was 18 inches long. He is just a beautiful little one. He is a very petite little guy but is healthy. My daughter had to have an emergency C-section after the placenta ruptered which she was hemorraghing. Luckily she was at the hospital when it happened. They had induced her labor because she was becoming pre-eclampsic. Everything is fine and they came home on Sunday. That night was very scary. I almost lost both of them. I never prayed so hard in my life and God answered my prayer. I have been staying with them this week to help out. I took a week off of work to help out. My other grandson who is 4 yrs old is very protective of his little brother. Everytime we have to burp the baby Miguel thinks we are hitting him. He loves him so much and loves to hold him. Well I better go for now. Take care and God bless all of you. Oh by the way last week according to my scales I lost 6 lbs. Through stress no doubt. Kathy
Birthday Patrol
on 5/14/06 9:21 am - Birthdayland
Topic: Birthdays 5/15-5/21...
This week the Birthday Patrol honors our very own: Monday: 15 Amanda G of Akron, OH 15 Brenda Gillespie of Belton, TX 15 Cheryl Barrett of Redford, MI 15 Jessica K of Pittsburgh, PA 15 Liz R of Palmdale, CA 15 Maggie S of Pasadena, TX 15 Mary Mc of PC, OK 15 Nikki H of Victorville, CA Tuesday: 16 Bernice (Pegi) Freedle of Lexington, NC 16 Jennifer Steffens of Sacramento, CA 16 Lisa Wilmore of ??? 16 Penny Cornelius of Bertram, TX 16 PeteNY of NY 16 PJ Huff of Colorful, CO 16 Teenie Jewel of Petersburg, VA Wednesday: 17 Amy Ward of ??? 17 Betty Boop of Newport, VT 17 Gigi P of Long Island, NY 17 Melissa Eisold of Eau Claire, WI 17 Mimi Salazar of Buena Park, CA Thursday: 18 Dee A of Babylon, NY 18 Heather Yeager of Hampton, VA 18 L Salinas of Harlingen, TX 18 LittleMissy ;o) of Chino Hills, CA 18 Patt H of Durand, MI 18 Silly_Little_Dreamer of OR 18 Stacey Barberino of Wallingford, CT Friday: 19 Christine Frank of Manton, MI 19 Deborah Brunk (dwhisper) of Kettering, OH 19 Donna McClain of Lake Lynn, PA 19 Elissa Hart of Wilmington, DE 19 Judith McMurray Davis of Junction, IL 19 Lora Slaughter of Goldthwaite, TX 19 Melissa M of Albertville, MN 19 Ms Gold of Saluda, VA 19 Sherrise P of Inland Empire, CA 19 Suzie's Mom of Athens, WV 19 Theresa Grabowski of Milwaukee WI 19 Tabitha Holt of Waynesfield, OH Saturday: 20 Cheekies! B of Colton, CA 20 Debra Miller of OH 20 Jill of Eastpointe, MI 20 Jim Wohlt of Yorba Linda, CA 20 Kelly Robles of Bakersfield, CA 20 Lisa Cline of Hamburg, NY 20 P. Owens of El Dorado, AR 20 Sherri Johnson of Indianapolis, IN 20 Tina Munoz of Apopka, FL 20 Total Package of Beltsville, MD 20 Tricia Joyce of Middleville, MI 20 Wonga Dee of Philadelphia, PA Sunday: 21 Blue Eyed Girl of Philadelphia Suburb, PA 21 Brenda Hakes of New Whiteland, IN 21 Christie Hodges of Claremore, OK 21 Christine in AZ 21 Jenny P of San Diego, CA HAPPY BIRTHDAY ... YOU GO, DEAR FRIENDS, IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY!!! God bless you and may all your wishes come true!! & {{{HUGS}}} & Melissa Mermaid & All Your AMOS Pals P.S. The Birthday Patrol celebrates your real birthday (not surgery anniversary dates). This way EVERYONE can participate. Click on "Birthday Patrol" (profile link) to find out how to sign up for the Birthday Patrol. Customarily, ONLY THOSE WHO ACTIVELY SIGN UP FOR BIRTHDAY PATROL ARE ACKNOWLEDGED BY A POST ON THEIR BIRTHDAYS. Please do not feel left out if you don't "sign up" ... There is no other system available to us for gathering this information. Birthday Patrol is NOT an official OH project. P.P.S. VERY IMPORTANT: If you have ALREADY REGISTERED for "Birthday Patrol," please double-check the list in about a week after submitting to make sure you're on it; the computer has not always been kind! P.P.P.S. For the time being, birthdays will be posted each Sunday for the entire week.
BBBrina1981
on 5/13/06 7:00 am - Mount Clare, WV
Topic: Needing some helpful advice`
This is the first time I have posted on here b/c I just registered a few days ago. My name is Sabrina,I live in NorthCentral, WV, I am 24, 375 pounds, and I have 2 children 5 and 1 1/2. I have been debating with myself and family the past few years about getting GBP surgery. My mother thinks it will be devistating for me b/c of the loose skin so she isn't really for it. Each year I just seem to get bigger and bigger and I do not know what to do anymore. It has gotten to the point I can't play with my kids, the pain of walking is unbearable, the depression is unsightly, I can not work due to the pain so my children and I have to stay with family. I hate going to the doctor b/c they always find something new wrong with me. In the past 2 years I have been diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and diabetes on top of the high blood,plantars facitis, severe depression,and constant pain. I have been overweight my entire life and severely depressed most of my life because of it. I went through most of my life being emotionally and mentally abused by my grandfather and peers. Then at 15yrs old dated a guy for 9 years that was, so the same so my self esteem and self confidence is something I just don't have. I am miserable and angry all the time. As of today I am at 375 at 5 ft 5 inches tall. My body hurts so bad to move that it is ridiculous. I still endure constant emotional abuse which doesn't help. I have always turned to food, it was there for me when no one else was. I have tried all of the diets, exercised, starved myself,........I have done it all and nothing. I need a solution and I think GBP surgery would be it but I am not getting any support from the people I need it from. They just say if I weren't so lazy I could lose weight but that isn't true. I have tried but I can't do it. I lost 170 pounds during my pregnancy with my son but six months later 200 pounds were back. I have been working my butt off that past 3 months and gained 50 pounds. It makes me so depressed and angry. I end up taking it out on the people around me and they just don't understand. I'm not angry at them and I don't like feeling like this. I hate to go out in public b/c people always look at me like I'm a side show. I know we shouldn't care about other's opinions but it's hard not to sometimes and when you are beaten down to the bottom it is hard. This surgery is something I am really interested in because I want to have a life and be there for my kids when they graduate and get married and be there to play with my grandchildren. I haven't been on a date for 9 years and I have only ever had one boyfriend. I want to enjoy life not wake up every morning and hating that I woke up to live another miserable day. There are so many things I want to do that I just can't.....I want to have the surgery but at the same time I am afraid of the risks but being as heavy as I am could kill me too. I have researched it to death and the more I do the more I am considering it. I am going to go talk to my doctor this week about what to do. Did any of you have the same problems in decideing??? Are the after affects as bad as most people think???? Thank you for listening to my ramblings Sabrina
bethsmith
on 5/11/06 12:40 pm - Oak Hill, WV
Topic: Beckley WLS Support Grp Mtg 05/15
Hi Everyone! The Beckley WLS Support Group meeting will be held on MONDAY, May 15, from 7:00-9:00pm at Raleigh General Hospital on Harper Road, Beckley. Our meeting location is in the Education Center (annex building on the Kroger side of RGH). Entrance is at the top of the wheelchair ramp. Guests are welcome and everyone is encouraged to attend! CLOTHING EXCHANGE: We will now have a clothing exchange at each meeting! You are welcome to bring any clothes that no longer fit you and take home some that do. As you lose out of them, bring them back and exchange them for others! You do not have to bring clothing to take clothing, and bringing clothing is not required. Restaurant cards for Dr. Shin and Dr. Stickler's patients (as well as some other area doctors) will be available for anyone who needs one. Don't forget to bring a recipe (or two...or three) for our online group cookbook (or you can email them to us), a "before" picture (if you have one), or even bring some "before" clothes! You can view our monthly calendar by visiting our support group website at http://www.geocities.com/beckleywlssg/ The 2006 meeting dates are also listed below. Looking forward to seeing you Monday! Beth ------------------------------ 2006 Beckley WLS Support Group meeting dates (all Monday meetings): May 15, 2006 June 19, 2006 July 17, 2006 August 14, 2006 September 18, 2006 October 23, 2006 November 13, 2006 December 18, 2006 (If Raleigh County Schools are cancelled due to weather the day of our meeting or the following day, the meeting is cancelled also.) ------------------------------ If you would like to receive an email-reminder for the Beckley WLS Support Group Meeting, please email us at [email protected].
Amy Williams
on 5/11/06 6:27 am
Topic: Lexington Obesityhelp Event!
Who's going? Last year we have an amazing event in Cincinnati! Those who didn't make that one, I hope you will join us this year in Lexington! We are going to have a blast. Thanks to Brenda's help we are organizing a very fun and exciting event that will have a Masquerade Ball. So start planning on what you might wear now! For all details please visit: http://obesityhelp.com/events/october2006_lexington.html We hope to see you there on October 27 and 28th! Amy Williams
shinmd
on 5/3/06 3:34 am - Charleston, WV
Topic: RE: Exclusion question
If you have BCBS via Mountain State (Highmark), they do cover Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. However, you must complete 6 months medically supervised weight management program with diet, exercise and behavioral modification. No WV is not one of the state that prohibits exclusion of bariataric surgery. If you have further quesiton, please call my office at 304-388-4965 or 866-788-4965. Also please check out website at www.camcwlc.org. Thank you. Robert Shin, MD,FACS Director of CAMC Weight Loss Center
Most Active
Recent Topics
WLS in WV?
rakat · 0 replies · 2000 views
Wv coventry care requirments
Sunfish6406 · 0 replies · 4706 views
Coventry Cares WV Medicaid
AKD40 · 9 replies · 6309 views
Bcbs highmark of wv?
conandjaysmom · 0 replies · 5635 views