FREE excess skin removal

need2bme_
on 8/31/13 7:45 pm

i had gastric by pass surgery in 2007 and i have lost over 100 plus lbs. My insurance paid and covered all of my surgery but i am now left with excess droopy firm fat that I have to look at everyday.Its soooo depressing looking at me cause of the way i am.To me its worse than being fat. I saw your post and wondered if you were able to find a place to donate to or a surgeon who will do the surgery for free with donation.My insurance wont cover the surgery because they say its cosmetic.I cant afford to pay for it myself due to being on a fixed incomeIm trying to stay pos but  I don't know what else to do right now.Do have any suggestions? signed weary hearted.

need2bme_
on 8/31/13 7:56 pm

Im in need of a surgeon or someone who is willing to help me to be the me that has been hidden away for sooo long. I am in need of a body lift due to weight loss surgery and It costs between $8-$12,000.that I dont and will never have.I will have to live in a box or the woods for a yr to afford it and I dont want to do such drastic things but looking at it might be worth a try.Anyone know of anyone in fl or close to it. signed need to be me

MsBatt
on 9/1/13 1:49 am
On September 1, 2013 at 2:56 AM Pacific Time, need2bme_ wrote:

Im in need of a surgeon or someone who is willing to help me to be the me that has been hidden away for sooo long. I am in need of a body lift due to weight loss surgery and It costs between $8-$12,000.that I dont and will never have.I will have to live in a box or the woods for a yr to afford it and I dont want to do such drastic things but looking at it might be worth a try.Anyone know of anyone in fl or close to it. signed need to be me

Sorry, this isn't going to happen. No one wants our old, damaged skin---not even us. (*grin*)

Medinasartisticmassa
ge

on 11/8/13 12:10 pm - Rennemede, NJ

Please let me know as soon as possible. thank you for your time. this skin is getting painful and frustrating.

robinsnl
on 2/6/14 2:26 pm, edited 2/6/14 2:33 pm

I don't know why people on this post telling everyone that they don't take skin from a person who is alive. Who on this earth wants skin from a dead person other then the fact that people who are alive are not donating. I would never allow any doctor to put skin of a dead person on my child before ever coming to me and taking mine first as his mother. Science has come a long way but from the sound of the people on here who are being very rude on here and saying things like "Who would take the skin of someone who has starch marks?" To me people like that make science go back 100 or so years when they dug up graves. I don't think you should take any one's advice other then calling the hospital yourself and getting the info directly. 

Cunning_Pam
on 2/6/14 2:51 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

Whether you believe it or like it or not, cadaver skin is and has been used for years now to help burn victims recover. No surgeon will take the skin of a healthy person to cover a burn victim's, because then the donor has no skin! It doesn't work the way you want it to. And no, skin removed from formerly overweight people who have lost weight is NOT suitable for burn victims. 

Here's a link about just how the cadaver skin is used: New York Times Article - "Cadaver Skin Fills the Gap"  Learn something.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

robinsnl
on 2/7/14 3:35 am, edited 2/7/14 3:38 am

Skin from a dead person is skin but skin the from a person who is alive isn't??????????? Really? I can understand that a person who is dead can give more skin to graft period. As I have said before don't take no one's advice call the hospital yourself and hear it from them.

*       An adult has about 18 square feet of skin, but only six square feet can be used from the body's flat surfaces, such as the chest, back and thighs. Skin from the face, hands and feet cannot be used. Dr. May said that Saint Agnes got about 400 square feet of donated skin annually, enough to help 100 burn victims.

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/06/14/us/grafted-skin-aids-burn-victims-but-there-is-a-need-for-donors.html

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/7/14 8:54 am, edited 2/7/14 8:55 am - OH

Why is it hard to understand that a cadaver can donate more skin than a living  person?!?  They can use ALL of the skin (that is in good condition, of course) from a cadaver, but it isn't like someone who is alive can donate all the skin on their back!

Stretched skin has reduced blood supply to begin with (there are a limited number of blood vessels, so the larger the area, the less blood flow per square inch, if you will) and stretch marks are TEARS in the skin, and those tears limit the blood flow to the tissue even further.  Even when we have surgery and have an incision that involves cutting skin that is very stretched out (with or without stretch marks), the chances of the skin turning necrotic from lack of blood supply is much higher than for the same incision through healthy skin.  Many people have small areas of necrosis or healing issues with plastic surgery incisions after massive weight loss, and some have major issues with necrosis... And that is with their own skin.

Also, have you ever seen the skin on some of the people they show on television programs about SMO people?!?  Have you seen the damage to their skin?  Skin from a "fresh" cadaver is FAR preferable to that (no matter how much the thought apparently creeps up out)!

Yes, people can certainly waste the time to make a bunch of phone calls to find the right person at the hospital to ask, but the fact is that it WILL be a waste of time.

Also... an article from 1981?!?  From over thirty years ago?  

Lora

p.s.  You should re-read the other person's response.  She never said that skin fom a cadaver was skin but skin from a person who is alive isn't!  She didn't say anything even CLOSE to that!!

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

robinsnl
on 2/7/14 9:38 am, edited 2/7/14 9:43 am

I just said the same thing. I said that I can understand that a person who is dead can give more skin to graft period. So the fact of the matter is you did not read my post and that you may not understand my stands on this. I said that I understand that they will take the skin off a person who has passed away because they CAN take more skin from them where as a person who is alive cannot give enough and not cause harm to themselves. That is why I posted the The New York Times Post that was from 1981 which conforms the same thing that everyone is saying. I know that you may not have understood my reasoning at the time but I hope to cleared up some things. I knew what year it was from but nothing has changed from 1981 to 2014 nor has it changed since 2006 from your post. As i have said before please don't just take anyone advice call and find out for yourself. You won't know until you do. 

P.S You should re read the whole post from this forum when I said what I had said  I was refering to the foolness that had been posted on here by other people. 

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/6/14 2:51 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I'm glad that someone bumped this thread.  I've heard this rumor for years and glad to find out it's just another urban legend.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active