FREE excess skin removal

Kim S.
on 2/2/11 11:17 pm - Helena, AL
Let us all stop entertaining this loon and exercise our right to use the block button.

spagirl0111
on 3/9/11 10:09 am - Gastonia, NC
April, Hi my name is Victoria and I had wgt loss surg serveral years ago and still am waiting for the big day as far as my abdominalplasty and breast augmentation arrives, but if I can donate my skin to anyone needing it r/t burns or grafts and it is for free, I think the gesture is absolutely wonderful. I was a pediatric nurse for a long time and would be very interested if you happen to find out any information related to this, please contact me. Sincerly Yours.  
shannoncaldwell
on 3/29/11 4:31 am - TN
 i have been told the same thing about the hospital but it was siskins instead..
MacMadame
on 2/25/12 10:43 am - Northern, CA
 Hey, WASa

According to the PS who was at last year's Meet and Greet in Las Vegas, he does arrange to have skin from his surgeries donated.

So someone wants it! 

But, no, no one will pay for your PS to get it.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

panda1983
on 6/8/12 4:22 am

Hi ,

I TRYING TO FIND A PLACE WERE I COULD GET RID OF THIS EXCESSIVE SKIN AND DONT HAVE TO PAY A GREAT DEAL OF MONEY OUT OF POCKET

Monicalost200
on 6/15/12 10:26 am - Kansas City, MO
Hi, I'm looking to have a panniculectomy, most of my skin bounced back except for this part. Does anyone know a surgeon in or near kansas city missouri that accepts medicare/ missouri medicaid?  
LISA HERNANDEZ
on 9/2/12 7:02 am
 i dont know how true the FREE part is but where i am in north carolina the have the same program through WAKE FOREST BABPTIST MEDICAL CENTER way under  cost if u donate the skin my 360 but lift leg lift and muscle repair was 4550.00 i would check nto the FREE i seriously dout it but worth checking into considering insurance rarely pays for it but they want u to lose weight and when u do they dont help u achieve that last milestone  good luck
brens1963
on 10/20/12 12:56 pm
 i've had gastric bypass on nov 24, 2003 , at my top weight at 465 i am now at the weight of 200 and have a lot of fat hanging aroung me , i have state insurance and im hoping some  one will help me get a reduce in flab on my arms, legs ,tummie,butt, and a little help on my breast ,  ...a little history on me ive allways be a big girl now im doing so good but the FLUB is killing me . if any dr. has the heart to help me , my family and i would apprecate it , thank you very much BRENDA SALGADO , of BULLHEAD CITY AZ,,,,,GOD BLESS YOU ..
idalilgurl61
on 11/11/12 2:29 am

I looked this up at Michigan Burn Center on their q&a section and this is what I found out about this...These questions are asked quite often by individuals who have lost large amounts of weight and have excess skin folds. We appreciate your desire to donate, however, this kind of donation is unworkable. Allow me to explain why:

Our center does not obtain skin from these patients for several reasons. First, this method of obtaining skin is cost prohibitive. The amount of transplantable tissue obtained from tissue reduction surgery is minimal when compared to the amount of tissue obtained from a cadaveric (deceased) tissue donor. The procurement costs would be much greater as it would require the services of doctors, nurses, anesthetists, and other health care professionals as well as the use of an operating room and other hospital services. Cadaveric donation requires only trained tissue recovery technicians, and they can procure tissue after the body has been sent to the morgue (rather than in an operating room), thus keeping expenses to a minimum.

Additionally, cadaveric donated tissue can be used for transplant soon after recovery (as soon as quality assurance testing is complete), however, the FDA requires that tissues recovered from living donors must be placed into quarantine for six months. At the end of six months, all serologic testing (HIV and Hepatitis) of the donor must be repeated before that tissue can be used.

It is extremely difficult to obtain a skin graft from tissue than has been removed during tissue reduction surgery. The usual procedure for tissue reduction surgery involves the removal of skin and underlying attached tissues, often several centimeters. Skin grafts used for transplant (burn patients) are only 15/1000 (0.015) of an inch thick and do not include these underlying tissues. Skin grafts for transplant are obtained by the use of a surgical device called a dermatome, which peels off a very thin (0.015 inch) uniform layer of skin.

I do not know of any tissue bank that would pay for a donor's tissue reduction surgical expenses for the purpose of obtaining skin for transplantation. If you are interested in donating your tissues upon your death I would encourage you to share this information with your family. Your gift can save lives and greatly reduce suffering.

I had also heard the same thing about getting the surgery paid for by donating the excess tissue and like you, if they didnt pay for the removal. I would also donate the excess skin, unfortunally that is a non issue as above explains why..

DJ-excited_343.5
on 11/22/12 11:08 pm - MI

Thank you very much, for allowing me to participate in this forum.  I had a bariatric pouch put in in 1984, for two years I did very well; then I got hurt and had back surgery which didn't correct my spinal problems;  they just gradually increased causing me not to be able to exercize.  With more stress and pressures of everyday life, I began gaining weight again.  Then my bariatric surgeon went on vacation with his family to Europe  and had a heart attack there and died.  I became very depressed and dispondent and started vomiting all the time. 

No one would help me, because there wasn't any surgical notes about my surgery.  My surgeop at the time couldn't get insurance approval for the bariatric surgery so , I had to have a large hernia repair in my stomach and he decided to slip my pouch in while he had me opened.  Over the past twenty-eight years, I have had nothing but, problems...  Vomiting two to three times a day, acid reflux and heart burn continuously.  I Began to believe I was doomed to live my life out this way.

Well,  I am so very lucky, that someone told me about; Forrest Batrix Center in Yipsilanti, Mi and hour from my home.  I met with Dr. Steve Poplawski; he interviewed me, sent me for a psych evaluation from Dr. Hand in Jackson.  I had my surgery on Oct 16, 2012.  I am doing very well!  I am 65 years old, I have already lost 58.5 lbs.   I had a total gastric by-pass.  Dr Poplawski believed that this was the best way to go for me, since I have never seen 220 lbs, since the fourth grade.  He said he had a difficult time with my surgery, getting the old pouch out it was to high up in my chest and he had to carefully peel my liver and spleen away from it then do his work to reconstruct everything.   I am very pleased with my results so far and looking forward to further weight loss!

Already thinking about skin removal.  Someone on this sight stated that maybe Shiners Hospital does skin removal for free for their donations to their burn unit patients.  I am going to check it out.  Shiners and Danny Thomas Foundations are wonderful institutions!  We have friends whose children are patients that go there for leg and foot problems.  When I was a youngster, I had a very good friend who has cerebral palsey; she is crippled an I went with her and her parents several times for her treatments!  I seen many terrible things.  It made me really appreciate my life as it was.   My husband and I have put both these Foundations in our wills.  

I am disabled and I have a wonderful Doberman who is in training for my service dog.  This is taking longer for me because I have a home trainer; there a lot of training classes that will not except us because I am disabled.  But,  My Dakota is doing great , he loves going to Nursing Homes  and shopping with me!!  

Looking forward to good conversations with other Bariatric Clients...  Love and Prayers,  DJ Butler

Most Active