Any "stoners" out there?

Wissixwe
on 8/15/11 6:38 am - Pottstown, PA
Four and a half years out, doing my best to keep on track. A few weeks agao, I got a terrible pain in my lower left side that slowly worked its way through me. Felt like I'd been shot! It reached my pubic bone and went away. Some hours later I passed a humongous kidney stone! Tests are back and reveal I've got loads of them. I had no earlier symptoms, so nobody ever thought to see if I might be stoning up, not even me.

Anybody here gotten "stoned" after RNY - what are you doing about it? Looking to see what kind of dietary changes you made. Thanks.

JanR
This dream is for you, so pay the price.
Make one dream come true -
You Only Live Twice

Emily F.
on 8/15/11 7:46 am
I clicked on this for another reason.........lol........
MsBatt
on 8/15/11 12:32 pm
On August 15, 2011 at 2:46 PM Pacific Time, Emily F. wrote:
I clicked on this for another reason.........lol........
Me too. (*grin*)
jenysez1
on 8/15/11 10:05 pm - LA
Me too MS Bat..lol

jenysez1
on 8/15/11 10:06 pm - LA
Me too Emily, I think it fooled many of us.

Jenny

Docj
on 8/15/11 7:58 am
Revision on 09/01/88
Yeah, I had em' too. Yucky. Known side effect of RNY. Get checked for oxalate and have a bone density scan. Drink a lot of H2o.
Janice B.
on 8/15/11 8:53 am - Misawa-chi, Japan

Hahahaha ... get stoned.

I had to have a stone surgically removed last year and then passed two more.  No more since.  The doc is surprised I haven't had problems all my life as apparently the exit route from kidney to ureter is a 90 degree angle.  So, I'm thinking it wasn't related to the surgery at all .... just biology and the sins of the past.

Glad you made it through.

Janice

Life is too short to eat vanilla ice cream and dance with boring men.

HW: 305/SW: 289/CW: 129

Elizabeth N.
on 8/15/11 1:11 pm - Burlington County, NJ
I recommend talking to Vitalady about this, for she has both personal experience and many years of observing postops. She is particularly adamant in warning against using Tums and any other source of calcium carbonate, about having more oxalates in your diet if you don't have reasons to avoid them (like gout), and about making sure you have HUGE water intake and some supplemental vitamin C--not megadoses, just regular, for the citric acid value.

She has other bits of advice, too. Those are just the ones that stuck with me after spending a couple days with her talking (both of us) NONSTOP at something resembling light speed LOL.

dommiepa
on 8/15/11 11:06 pm - Towanda, PA
I had a history of stones before RNY and was told by my urologist to drink lemon in my water daily to help prevent certain types of stones.  I do this, and it helps and I have not had any stones since.  I am 1 yr post RNY.

Yvonne.    To thine own self be true.     hw 432/ sw 352/ cw196.8/gw 200  RNY 8/11/10 Corsettrunkplasty & thigh lipo 5/16/2012.

ktharp89
on 8/15/11 11:54 pm - Gaithersburg, MD
 I got one a couple weeks ago and it felt like I was beign stabbed. It was so horrible. I went to the hospital and they gave me dilauded which helped a lot. But it took 9 days to pass and those 9 days sucked. I really hope I don't get more. I hear they are more painful than giving birth. Everyone just told me to drink more water and as long as you are taking calcium citrate and not carbonate that should not create more kidney stones.
Height - 5'8  - SW - 292/ CW - 177.6 /GW - 150 - BMI - 27.1 - 114.4 lbs lost!
"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore" Vincent Van Gogh
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Most Active