Lap Band or Sleeve?

Living4MyBabySon
on 8/13/12 10:58 pm - CA
VSG on 12/17/12
 Hello Everyone,

I am in the works for lap band. I am waiting to hear back if the answer is yes or no from the insurance company. But now after coming to this site and hearing all the horror stories about the lap band, i am now concidering the sleeve. Has this ever happened to anyone ? Will i still be approved if i change my mind? Do you all think the sleeve is better?

Help.

Thanks guys and gals

Feystorm
on 8/14/12 12:15 am - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 I originally went to my Doc asking for the lap band.  My doctor said he preferred to do the sleeve, but gave me information and pamphlets on both surgeries.  After visiting many sites and looking up a lot of information - I decided that there was no way in hell I was going to get a lapband.  I got my sleeve on March 14, and I haven't regretted one day.  You couldn't have paid me to get the lapband after I did more research on the two.

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

JJ_
on 8/14/12 2:44 am
From what I have read, yes the sleeve is better than the lapband.

Good luck.

Judy
PoohHag
on 8/14/12 7:38 am - TN
VSG on 06/11/12
 Keep reading and researching, but you really don't want a lapband.  Much slower weight loss and you frequently have to have it removed in a few years.
nursey6030
on 8/14/12 10:33 am
Interesting posts regarding the Lap-Band® v. Gastric Sleeve. The sleeve will stretch if the patient overeats and then need to be converted to Gastric Bypass. Have been getting a lot of calls lately from patient's who have stretched out their Sleeve or Bypass and are now inquiring about being banded. Do all your research carefully before making a decision. The Lap-Band® is still the safest surgery of all the bariatric surgery options.

MsBatt
on 8/14/12 2:53 pm
Nursey, there's really no need for someone with a Sleeve to ever be converted to a gastric bypass. If someon with a Sleeve has excessive regain, or fails to lose enough weight, the logical revision would be to the DS, since the Sleeve is the stomach portion of the DS.
(deactivated member)
on 8/14/12 8:41 am - WA
 It seems like the lapband is a dying fad. 
littleskie
on 8/14/12 9:37 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
How much weight do you have to lose? I needed more than just restriction. I needed the mal-absorption to. I ended up with the RNY and i'm so glad I did. I lost over 250 lbs. I'm still dealing with the carb monster and a twenty pound regain but It's so much better than being 450 plus pounds.

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

Living4MyBabySon
on 8/14/12 9:49 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12
 Yowzas!Great Job!. i have to loose about 160 pounds. I am 34 years old.I dont want the aftermath of the band. Im also worried about the insurance and how that is going to work out now that i think I have changed my mind.

Thank you everyone 
Kim S.
on 8/14/12 10:35 am - Helena, AL
Do your homework.  Research all four major weight loss surgeries:  Lap band, VSG, RNY and DS.

160 is a lot to lose.  Are you sure you may not need a malabsorptive procedure (DS and RNY)? Do you have metabolic issues?  If you've gained and lost over and over again, you may have done damage to your metabolism.  Make sure restriction alone is all you need.

My sister has done very well with the VSG.  She had 90 lbs to lose and has kept most of it off for 3 years now.

Research tons, cut once.  Insurance is usually not an issue-if they approve one, they will generally let you change to another one (if it is on their approved list).  DO NOT LET INSURANCE DECIDE WHICH SURGERY IS BEST FOR YOU.  That is your job.

I personally would never recommend a lap band, based on my own research and the failures I've seen in family/friends.  There are some successes, but they are not the majority.

That is just my opinion for what it is worth.

Most Active