In need of good (no taste) protein powder I can mix in to my coffee.

pammiv
on 1/20/15 5:26 am

Hello friends!

I am in need of a good tasteless protein powder I can mix in to my coffee in the morning.  I am not a breakfast person and when I get up, take my vitamins with little sips of water - I cannot get breakfast in for an hour or two.  I have seen people post about protein coffee?  I drink my coffee black with a splash of half and half and today I tried to use Bob's Red Mill Organic Whey protein powder but it got all clumpy and gross even after mixing hard.  Any one have ideas for using up the Bob's Whey powder since it didn't work in coffee?

5 weeks since RNY and I am having trouble thinking of good breakfast and lunch items that are easy to grab and go to work with.  So tired of protein shakes and smoothies..... 

RNY December 17, 2014 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Valerie G.
on 1/20/15 6:12 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

IMO - flavorless protein powder doesn't exist.

I use a vanilla egg-white protein in my coffee to replace sweetener and creamer.  The trick is to make a slurry first of a little liquid and protein, and then add it to the hot liquid.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

apkat
on 1/20/15 6:31 am
RNY on 12/12/14

I'm in my sixth week since RNY and I am in the same boat.  Getting past the scent of the 'flavorless' whey powders is near impossible.  I'm going to be lurking in this thread to see if any good ideas are posted, lol!

Eggface
on 1/20/15 7:48 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Mix whatever protein you use into cold milk like you would a normal shake... then pour that into your warm (not hot) coffee (like you would milk or creamer) and raise the temp of both together (aka nuke it a little to get it hotter) 

I prefer vanilla to unflavored... not many unflavored I enjoy. IMHO you taste protein more with unflavored as you don't have flavorings to mask any protein taste. Though if you have a protein that tastes crappy try a few others... there are lots that are very tasty out there now. Back in the day they were few and far between but now they are getting better, don't go cheap on this that usually = gross.

You are welcome to check my blog for ideas for other uses too... protein bars, ice cream, muffins, etc. link below. and here's a few breakfast grab & go specific: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2013/07/7-pro tein-packed-grab-and-go-breakfast.html Hope it gives you a few ideas.

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

jaxie77
on 1/20/15 8:50 am, edited 1/20/15 8:51 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Hey I'm at 5 weeks out tomorrow , and I need the extra kick of protien also right now . I make my coffee in my tall mug , just black hazelnut nescafe ( I only have one a day ) and I add around a quarter to a half of a chocolate Premier Protien shake ( 30 grams protien in one shake)to it , then shove it in the micro for around 10 / 15 seconds to bring it back up to hot , and it's delish !! And I sip the rest of my shake along side it . 

It helps me wake up and get me going in the morning ! 

How are you doing overall?  Good I hope x

Jax x

STB
on 1/20/15 9:18 am
RNY on 07/21/14

I usually make a protein shake for breakfast - Greek yogurt, ice, water, Truvia and protein powder (Inspire found on line). Sometimes I add frozen or no sugar added fruit but it increases the carbs. I love iced coffee pre-op (not hot coffee) but now can't stand the taste of it but maybe you could brew coffee and put it in the frig and add that instead of water for the coffee fix? Lunches I do egg salad, tuna fish (low fat mayo), cheese and crackers (land of lakes from the deli and whole wheat crackers), string cheese, deli meat (but haven't tolerated it to well so I don't bring it to work), you can make sugar free pudding with protein powder in it, Greek yogurt, grilled cheese with light bread to reduce the carbs (at home of course - not a work food). hope this helps.

SHARON  

pammiv
on 1/20/15 11:17 am

Thank you for all the suggestions.  Trying to get the protein during the day is no problem but first thing in the morning is.  I will try to mix the powder with a little milk first and then add it to the coffee.  Thanks for the tips- if you have any others, please post and THANK YOU ALL!

i am doing well but having issues getting all that protein in.  I was a breakfast skipper in my previous eating life...  

RNY December 17, 2014 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

StephanieF.
on 1/20/15 11:57 am

I make a cold coffee most of the time to avoid the clumping. I make ice cubes out of black coffee, put them in the blender with Click Vanilla Latte flavor protein mix, and about 2/3 cup flax milk. (can use fat free milk or whatever you like.)

Unflavored protein is disgusting. You can totally taste the protein flavor, but like Shelley said, there's nothing good masking it. Ugh. ;)

Extended tummy tuck/hernia repair on July 28, 2008! Five pounds of skin removed!
Be miserable. Or motivate yourself.  Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. ~W.D

Weight at surgery on July 26, 2006: 304 lbs
Lowest weight: 147 (157 pounds lost!)
Regain over the past 2 years (2012-2014) - 59 pounds
REBOOTING! :) Working on losing back down to 160 (beginning Jan. 18, 2015)

NYMom222
on 1/20/15 1:44 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Premier does say on their website that you can heat their shakes. They have vanilla too, could make it like a latte. I use Genepro, which I buy on Amazon and it can be mixed directly in hot things. There is one other I've heard mentioned that goes into hot directly too, but don't know the name.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

AngelnChains
on 1/20/15 8:41 pm
DS on 11/17/14

I use splenda to sweeten and powdered milk for the protein then get my main protein from another source. Just a suggestion :) 

also I do egg white omelets with spinach and tomatoes or turkey sausage and scrambled eggs things like that for breakfast, sugar free jello for snacks and then I have taken to eating the atkins high protein low carb meals for lunch because I can take them to work and theyre fast in the microwave. HOWEVER Im not much on processed foods to so Im reading some forums and free books on my kindle on things I can make and freeze at home :) 

Most Active