Handling Stress(since we cant eat it)

cheapskate
on 7/28/16 8:48 am
RNY on 03/30/15

Looking for ways you guys have learned to handle stress since surgery. I am under a great deal of emotional stress right now surrounding one of my children. Not normal life stress, like terrible rock your world stress :(

I dont know what to do. Honestly, I am falling apart and just want to eat....so I am not eating at all. Yesterday I drank  423 calories and ate 80.  I am trying to be open here to get some good feedback. Today I have eaten 57 calories.  So yeah, I am logging it....but it isnt doing me much good. To be truthful, I have food struggles on a good day but this isnt helping.

I am looking for whatever you do. Understanding we are busy adults and dont have limitless time. Unfortunately, I cant workout right now due to physical issues(see prior post about how painful getting skinny has been for me)...but I have to do something. 

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/16 9:08 am
ReShape on 10/30/16

Here is a link to an article. Hopefully something within it may hit home with you. Believe me we all go through this at some point.

Good luck! Rich  

http://bingeeatingtherapy.com/2010/09/how-to-beat-stress-eating-50-ways-to-cope-with-stress-without-food/

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/28/16 9:24 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I've recently taken to doodling! I do Zentangle, there's lots of info online and some books you can order. It's a great way to zone out when your brain is ridiculous. I also knit, which is really good when my hands get twitchy.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

acbbrown
on 7/28/16 10:34 am - Granada Hills, CA

Therapy would be a great option. Also writing - write about it, write about your feelings and all the stuff it brings up for you. Sometimes just getting it out helps a lot. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 7/28/16 11:39 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Rule #1 - get your protein in - drink or eat.  You need 60-80gms or you will not think straight.  If you are still in losing phase - protein is more imp than calorie count for a few days, however, going below 600 cal per day for awhile is not recommended.

Schedule an appt with your surgeon to see what you need to do to get back on track.  See a psych if needed.  No matter what your child or adult child is going through - jail - can't find a new kidney - drug rehab - cancer - you need to stay healthy so that if you can do something to help, you can.  If you keep on the path you are now on, you could be in crisis also.

I hope things resolve for your child.

Sharon

karenp8
on 7/28/16 1:54 pm - Brighton, IL

Some of the things I do when stressed: knit,counted cross stitch,adult coloring books,journaling,word search puzzles,reading,crossword puzzles,or crocheting.

-Flo-
on 7/28/16 4:31 pm
DS on 04/11/16

I'm a huge advocate for therapy. It has literally saved my life. To combat stress, its all about relaxation to me; hot shower, bath, massage, reading a good book. 

I'm sorry you are going through a hard time right now. I wish you the best of luck. 

Valerie G.
on 7/29/16 4:57 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's times like yours that protein drinks are very handy for your needs.  Use them to survive and get you through this rough patch,and find someone that you can confide in and talk to.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

LeapSecond
on 7/29/16 7:00 am, edited 7/29/16 12:00 am - AR

I write it down in a daily journal.  Stress  identification is important to me. If it is in my power to control the stressor I take steps to change the stressor.  I have a dog that smacks.  I have mesiphonia with smacking.  It causes me great stress when I am around that noise.  I call the dog over and pet him.  He doesn't smack I reduce stress by petting.  Win/Win. I do have to pet a lot some days.  If I have no control over stressor then I first "give the stress back".  If a adult person is causing me stress by their behavior I identify it as not MY behavior and mentally I give their stress back to them.  If necessary I remove myself from being around them.  

Other methods I use: exercise, meditation, squeezing a ball or a steering wheel, breathing exercises, medications, isolation (sometimes I just need a time out), bathing, brushing my teeth, music, audio books and therapy. Realizing anxiety alone often needs a reality check.  These feelings are real but the control the feelings have is perceived as ______(out of my control) when often you have the same amount of control all along.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Most Active