can you shed some lite on appetite

(deactivated member)
on 8/21/17 8:40 am

I am wondering what appetite is like after the RNY.

cravings..etc..

is it non existent at first..does it last does it come back with a vengeance?

Erin T.
on 8/21/17 10:03 am
VSG on 01/17/17

I can't answer for RNY specifically, but I think it's typical to see a loss of appetite for a period after WLS that lasts for weeks to months and then a slow increase in appetite going forward.

Some people lose theirs completely, some people never lose their appetite. Some people have a false sense of appetite based on acid production issues (more common I think in VSG than RNY). And, it's surgery on your stomach not your brain, so the head hunger can strike anytime.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

kitmouse
on 8/21/17 10:39 am
RNY on 07/27/17

I had my RNY just recently, on July 27th. I woke up and my appetite was gone. Head hunger was gone, too, which I thought was interesting (and I see from reading here that that is not typical). I'm only 3 and a bit weeks out, but yes, my appetite is 100% gone. I've forgotten to eat several times, and when I have remembered I've not really been motivated to go find something.

(deactivated member)
on 8/21/17 10:51 am

interesting..I hope I have that problem of no appetite..lived with it for years..time for a vacation..extended vacation.

Au_Contraire
on 8/21/17 4:57 pm

Same here. I honestly could not care less about food. It tastes ok, but I am not very interested in it, in fact, sometimes I find it mildly disgusting. No cravings either - no head hunger. I easily can forget to eat, but try not to as I know my body needs the nutrients. But I am quite removed from any desire. What a blessing! My RnY was 6/12/17.

Sylvia G.
on 8/21/17 10:56 am
RNY on 07/26/17

I had RNY on July 26th. I lost all appetite initially. I would eat 3 spoonful and be done. I notice that the busier I am, the more hunger I feel. It's not exactly like hunger...more like my blood sugar is getting low. I've lived with hypoglycemia since I was about 20, so getting that low feeling is nothing I want. Being only 26 days post-op, I don't know if it will come back with a vengeance...I hope not!

peachpie
on 8/21/17 11:04 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I'm 27 months out. I had no appetite right after surgery- meaning I had no desire to eat. My appetite came back- but occasionally I'll have short periods food apathy where nothing interests me.

My hunger has not returned since surgery. (appetite and hunger are different IMO.)

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

MeerKat1994
on 8/21/17 12:09 pm
RNY on 05/09/17

That food apathy is real! Honestly, I find a lot of freedom in it.

Many days I really don't want to eat, I simply do it because it's necessary to fuel my body. That's such a big change from when even thinking about certain foods automatically made my mouth water. It's so nice (and way more healthy) not being so emotionally connected to what I'm eating.

Jester
on 8/21/17 2:47 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

What Peachpie said! And this took me quite awhile to figure out (seems simple, but it wasn't for me).

I had ZERO appetite after surgery. I ate only for fuel, it was liberating. This lasted probably 8-10 months.

Then my appetite returned, but i was under the impression my hunger returned. It took me months to realize that my hunger did not return, just my desire for food. The flip side of the coin is that I also have no feelings of satiety, which I now realize may have also been broken for some time prior to surgery.

This can lead to "always being hungry" at times, and no matter how much I eat, I'm never full. Until I pu**** too far and it's painful, but that's not really the same.

So - bottom line. I'm never really hungry and I'm never really full, yet I still have plenty of times that I want to eat. It's a daily battle, and I imagine it always will be. It shocks me how powerful the urge to eat can be even in the absence of physical hunger.

peachpie
on 8/21/17 4:24 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I can honestly say that I was rarely ever hungry before surgery. I remember telling my surgeon that in my consultation. I ate because it was time to- or I was in the mood too, rarely for hunger.

So before surgery, I would get that stomach growling, gnaw the arm off my first born hunger occasionally. Probably not often cause I ate in anticipation of hunger. But after surgery I never get hungry, ever. (Knock on wood). Appetite is devil I dance with.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Most Active