Debbie P.’s Posts

Debbie P.
on 7/28/23 8:17 am
Topic: RE: 17 years out and intense heartburn

Thank you! I did have the EGD done on Monday and stomach is not damaged. He did end up dilating esophagus and did a biopsy of the area (should get results in a few weeks, I think). My throat is still a bit sore. I can feel where the biopsy was done, but I don't think the stretching caused any pain.

I also had a colonoscopy done that day. They couldn't fini**** as I have a long/redundant colon and he couldn't get through all the twists and turns (not for a lack of trying as I guess they turned me on my back and pushed on my belly and tried to finish, but couldn't). Nothing was found in the first part of the colon, so they ordered Cologuard for me to just check for things that way for now.

I was hoping to not have to take Prilosec for life -- but even with the stretching, I still have heartburn if I don't take the prilosec. Sooooo, I take it. Need to research some more natural remedies as long term use of Prilosec scares me. Maybe a good probiotic?

Debbie P.
on 7/27/23 3:35 pm

Thank you! We are close in surgery dates! Have you had any issues?

Debbie ~

Debbie P.
on 7/22/23 3:25 pm

Hi All:

I haven't visited here in YEARS. Shame on me, I know. I am going Monday for an endoscopy and colonoscopy. The endoscopy is to determine if the acid in stomach has caused any issues.

To explain, a few years ago, swallowing was becoming difficult. Maybe "uncomfortable" is a better way to say it. It progressively got worse and I went to see the doc when I lost about 30 pounds without trying. He put me on prilosec and said I would likely be on it for life! Ugh. That concerns me as to long term effects.

He said the acid was causing swelling in my throat and with the prilosec - it is gone. I can eat again (and gained 16 pounds back over a year! bummer). He ordered the endoscopy to make sure the acid wasn't harming my stomach scar from my DS surgery. I'm anemic no matter how much iron I take orally ... and I'm just hoping I don't have to go back to have iron infusions.

I'm hoping that all turns out well. Prayers appreciated.

Debbie ~

Debbie P.
on 2/26/08 7:01 am
Topic: RE: Is BPD the same as DS??
Jessica: I thought since I am a patient of Dr. Maguire's that I would let you know that he does, indeed, do the BPD-DS (or DS for short).  I'm one of his DS patients.  BUT -- I was not a revision, so I believe what Val says to be true. Hope this helps. Debbie in Ohio ~
Debbie P.
on 5/28/06 4:57 pm
Topic: RE: Calling all diabetics, now and before!!!

Hi Deborah: We share a name!  hehe I was borderline diabetic in April of 2005 and a full-fledged diabetic by March 2006.  Before that, I had gestational diabetes as well and was on insulin. I just had my surgery (BPD-DS) 2 weeks ago and I am completely off meds and my blood sugars are always normal (since 2 days after surgery).  I do eat some sugars (DS'ers can do that without dumping) and my blood sugars still are normal. 1.  BPD-DS

2.  5/15/06

3.  Dr. John Maguire/Ohio

4.  As others have said, once a diabetic -- always a diabetic

5.  GONE - no meds and no watching what I eat!  I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm only 2 weeks out from surgery so I'm not eating EVERYTHING yet, but I have eaten quite a bit so far (bbq chicken, ham, cheese, potatoes, bread in small quantities, beef, tonight I had b-day cake & frozen yogurt, etc.). Hope this helps.  Be sure to research all surgery options out there to discover the best one for you! Debbie -

Debbie P.
on 3/19/06 3:31 am
Topic: RE: "lifers"
Shelly: I'm only a pre-op, but I did want to point out that there is another surgery out there too that you might want to consider. It is the BPD-DS. It too does have the malabsorbtion issues though, but I just wanted you to be aware of ALL of the choices and not limited to lapband or RNY. Blessings, Debbie in Ohio
Debbie P.
on 5/11/05 12:01 am
Topic: RE: Quick! watch the Today show
I read the article that started this interest for the Today Show. I found this interesting, but I didn't know it: "One in 200 patients dies within 30 days of gastric-bypass surgery, by far the most common procedure; one in 100 dies from the duodenal switch, the most radical. Gastric banding, the least mutilating procedure, is by far the safest, with a mortality rate of just 0.1 percent." I thought the odds about death were the same for RNY and DS. Am I wrong? Debbie -
Debbie P.
on 5/9/05 11:24 pm
Topic: RE: Should I beat myself up over this? I feel so guilty
I read this at another site and thought it applies here. I find it interesting that insurance companies require obese patients to stick to a diet for 6 months when they don't require: 1) Anorexics to eat for 6 months prior to approving therapy ... 2) Alcoholics to give up alcohol for 6 months before helping them ... 3) Drug addicts to give up drugs for 6 months before getting them into rehab ... You see where this is going? It seems that insurance companies still feel they can treat overweight people differently. It is acceptable to do so and it makes me soooooooo mad!!! Like we would put ourselves through surgery rather than just diet and exercise!! If that worked for us long term, we would have done it years ago!!! Just my 2 cents. HUGS -- Debbie -
Debbie P.
on 5/9/05 2:34 pm
Topic: RE: Thinking out loud!
Hi Helen: I wanted to say that we are neighbors! I am in Kettering very near Schantz. I am of the opinion of getting all your facts straight and having your DH go with you to your doctor appointments. Find out what they suspect is the problem and decide together. Weigh the risks on doing the surgery and not doing it. Doubt I have added much as these other ladies are much more educated about the surgery than I am. I am pre-op DS and may not even get that (my hubby is not so supportive and has decided to quit his job, so we will lose our insurance -- then no surgery for me). Anyway neighbor -- I will be following your story and you will be in my prayers! Debbie in Kettering! P.S. Who is your surgeon? I have a first group meet scheduled with Dr. Maguire on June 3rd (not that it will do me much good when hubby quits his job!).
Debbie P.
on 5/9/05 9:40 am
Topic: RE: Best Insurance for Self Employed who want this surgery?
Walter: I have reminded him until I am blue in the face. He just doesn't care! It is all about him right now! You see, he began a new truck driving career and has been on his own now for 3 weeks. Well, he doesn't like it. He can't (won't) see the bigger picture that he could be local if he just "pays his dues". Nope. He is "depressed" (which I'm sure he is) and therefore, he thinks he can just quit his job. He knows how I feel about this and he isn't in the house (I won't support a man if he isn't working -- I have supported him financially (and our daughter who is 14 months) since day 1 because of his huge bills from his prior marriage, but no more!!!). His grandmother coddles and babys him and that is where he is now. Well, I wonder how she will feel when his bills come due and he asks HER to pay them. I don't mean to sound heartless, but I have done nothing but support this man and cheer him on. I have given up soooo much for him, bailed him out on sooooo many occasions and then when I tell him I want to have this surgery .... he suddenly is going to quit his job. As of right now, he took a leave of absence (he can do that for 30 days). It will leave me and my daughter without medical coverage. Does he give a shoot, nope. This is so devastating to me that he is doing this to us .... but it hurts all the more because I was sooooo wanting to finally go through with this surgery. I feel all hope is lost for me living a healthy life again. Debbie -
Debbie P.
on 5/9/05 8:35 am
Topic: RE: Best Insurance for Self Employed who want this surgery?
Hi Everyone: My husband just informed me that he is going to quit his job and therefore, we lose our health insurance. I have been researching WLS for a long time now and had just gotten to the point of being ready to move forward (even have my first group meeting scheduled). Now I may be left with no insurance. I could probably continue under COBRA on his insurance, but that may be just too expensive. My question .... what is a good insurance that covers WLS (specifically DS)?? I may be able to look it up online and see what their monthly rates are for the self employed. I'm open to all suggestions. Debbie in Kettering, OH
Most Active