*sigh* long wait (crosspost)

Nikkal
on 3/20/12 9:59 am
VSG on 07/18/13
 posted in VSG forum already - stopped in at the surgeon's office today to ensure they got my referral - confirmed that the wait list for an initial consult is about a year!

I'm hoping that I'll get in sooner on a cancellation, but...

Oh well, gives me more time to save for plastics ( which are self-pay here; VSG & RNY are covered).

Can't afford to go to Mexico, and really, I think I'd rather be here at home if there were complications!

On the bright side it gives me lots of time to make sure that new eating & exercising habits are firmly cemented in place, and the more I lose presurgery, the less my risk is on the operating table!
kam0520
on 3/20/12 11:33 am - AL
Are you serious?!!?  Are there not more WLS surgeons in your area??  I waited I think 2 weeks after going to the required seminar.  I could have had surgery 7 days after approval.  

A years wait is ridiculous.  :(
www.kasleeved.com the (almost) daily journey after VSG

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
dori M.
on 3/20/12 11:47 am - MD
 A year????? Where do you live?

Nikkal
on 3/20/12 1:35 pm
VSG on 07/18/13
 there's 5 or 6 surgeons in the whole province, and they all do regular surgeries as well.  They all have huge wait lists.

Even if I had a consult next week it would be 6 mos before surgery- both surgeons require an 8 week dietician program, sleep test, physical therapist sessions, a few other labs & tests...and sometimes a psych screening. I can do a lot of that on my own first, and improve the wait from consult to surgeon.

and, other than a $90 fee to the dietician, I  don't pay a nickel...no deductibles with universal health care...
KatCooper
on 3/21/12 12:26 am - Collierville, TN
 Between my 6 months supevision with dietician and the time of my surgery it was almost 8 months.  Initally I was upset, afterall, I had finally made the decision to have the sugery and I wanted it NOW!!!  In retrospect it was a good thing.  I had time to make so solid changes and I went into the surgery feeling like I really knew what to expect and that if this was going to be a true lifestyle change there should not be a problem making those changes (a little at a time) before surgery.    My diet completely changed and I had already started exercising routinely before surgery.  Honestly, I someone had told me that my surgery would be free if I waited a year I would have been thrilled.   Look at it as a time to throughly educated yourself on not just the process but what it is going to take after your first few years of magic time is up.  I wish you the very best of luck on your journey!!!!

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

InkdSpEdTchr
on 3/21/12 1:21 am
I decided that I finally wanted WLS and it took me about a year to actually get it, so you can definitely do this. You sound like you have a plan, are motivated and know what do to- that's awesome!

The more you practice the lifestyle changes now, the easier it will be post-op!

Good Luck,

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

acbbrown
on 3/21/12 4:28 am - Granada Hills, CA
 The best thing that happened to me was almost a year wait before I got surgery after my referral. I personally wanted to change my life before surgery and make sure that I was committed to a life style change before I gave up my favorite organ :)

I dealt with some of my emotional issues during that time, learned as much as I could about what it would take to be successful, and really got my head into the game. I managed to lose 85lbs ad even did a 5K a month before surgery. It was a really good thing to feel accomplished before surgery and have me the confidence that I would be successful. 

I really recommend taking advantage of the gift of a waiting period - I've seen too many people rush into surgery and struggle BIG time after surgery bc they weren't prepared at all. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Nikkal
on 3/21/12 10:18 am
VSG on 07/18/13
 thanks for the pep talks - its longer than I'd hoped to have to wait - it may be 15 mos before the surgery itself, but its probably a good thing, as you've said.

to be honest its not too bad - I only first considered surgery last month, and there are no insurance hoops to jump through, so my total consideration & wait time won't be too much worse than many other people's.

it does give me lots of time to improve my health & arthritis...I'd planned on getting some physio from the Arthritis Centre later this spring, so I can still do that before seeing the surgeons' physical therapists...

Lucky2talk2
on 3/21/12 2:57 pm - Renton, WA
Hang in there... Keep coming... Keep us up to date. Love seeing everyone come hear and to post how they are doing and where they are at with Pre and post!!

Time will go by fast and you are right... Now is your really great prep time!!!

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!!         SHERRIE <3

aprilflower
on 3/25/12 5:46 am - NJ
i hope i dont have to wait that long. i have my appt for a consult with the dr on tues and just went to the seminar last tues. good luck!
Most Active