DIABETIC LOOKING FOR INPUT ON GATRO BYPASS

JANICE E.
on 2/2/05 12:11 pm - PLAINFIELD, NJ
I have been a diabetic for 5 yrs now and have gained over 50lbs. I have tried diets,gyms and now I'm looking @ Gastro Bypass's. Is any one out there who's had the surgery. I live in New Jersey and going to my first seminar 2/7/2005. Any input. Input and info WELCOMED AND NEEDED.
nefish
on 2/3/05 10:26 am - Rockport, TX
Janice, Yes I am a controlled diabetic now I don't know that we will ever be consider really totally cured I have neuropathy from the years of being an uncontrolled diabetic, but you are welcome to ask me questions I no longer take medications I was on the maximum dose of glucophage and actos and was taking insulin presurgery and left the hospital on 1/2 dose glucophage only and at 8 weeks was totally off all diabetes meds and maintain controll with diet, exercise and weight loss. Nancy
Ruth S.
on 2/9/05 1:01 am - Orlando, FL
Congratulations on deciding to positively changing your life! It will the best decision you will undertake (although initially you'll think you've made the wrong one, believe me after the first few months - You'll be so happy.) I was taking 2000 mg of Glucophage, 8 mg Advania, 10 mg of glucontro and Zocor. I had also tried diets, and was in the gym. I even had a personal trainer and didn't lose any significant amount of weight - money I did lose (lol). After seeing a Carnie Wilson commercial I knew I had to do something. So that I won't be chatty a friend helped researched with the insurance and found the doctor. After the initial meeting I knew for sure I would do this surgery (OPEN RNY). My post operative labs indicate my sugars were 120 which is "high however not that bad. While in the hospital they gave insulin cause I could eat nothing. I didn not take any medication while 2 weeks post op. Shortly after that I started to monitor my sugars with the glucose machine - I would anyone to always check the machine. Although it was in good condition - it was giving me high readings so I started to take my medications again - and that made me sick. I ended up in the hospital cause my sugars were to low and it was discovered. My regular doc said not to take until he sees me. When I did I told him about my readings and that I was back on medication. After that he gave me a new monitor, which gave me normal readings and I've been off the medications since 3 weeks post ops. Sometimes my sugars are up to 140 but I think I drink "to much" of the PROPEL water which has 2mg of sugars per 8 fld. oz. I believe that a diabetic will be that for quite a while until the large portion of the weight is gone and I still have a ways to go, but I'm working on it. Good luck to you and keep us posted.
JANICE E.
on 2/12/05 4:06 am - PLAINFIELD, NJ
Thanks so much for your input, it is so encouraging to hear from others with such input. I'm going for my consultation 2/14/05, so yes so far so good I'm going thru with it. Just have to put it in the LORDS hand first, then my doctor,then of cause the insurance. Yes the insurance. That is the one thing that has me very worried. Everytime I call I get a different story. One good thing my doctor has my back and is gun hoe for my surgery. Will stay in touch and keep up the good work. "THANKS ONCE AGAIN RUTH"
bob-haller
on 2/27/05 8:40 am - Pittsburgh, Pa
The RNY has great results to fix type2. 90% percent according to my surgeon\\ http://aolsvc.health.webmd.aol.com/content/article/75/89477.htm
JANICE E.
on 2/28/05 8:17 am - PLAINFIELD, NJ
Hi Bob, Thanks for your input. Did you have the surgey too????. I'm still in the precertified stage and it is getting to be a pain. An I'm asking myself is it worth all of this. HELP, a discoraged person.
bob-haller
on 3/1/05 10:02 am - Pittsburgh, Pa
I had the rny over 3.5 years ago. Was uncontrolled diabetic, HA1C about 12 Last check it was 6.0 top of normal for non diabetic. I still eat some junk but nothing like pre op. yes it was the best decision i ever made
peggy B.
on 3/28/05 11:54 am - Yuba City, CA
Hi! I have been a diabetic for about 20 years now. I was taking Avandia 8mg, Amyryl 4 mg and 2 shots a day. I am still preop, but have to lose some weight and after losing 43 pounds since Nov 04, I am not taking any Avandia, and am taking only the occasional shot..in the last 3 months have had 9 shots total. my A1C is down to 6.5 and I still have 22 pounds to lose to get my bmi down to 55 and then the surgeon will schedule me. Sooner if the hospital changes their policy and will take us at 60 bmi..which i started at 64.9 BMI and am down to 59.9 bmi. So it can be done. I am also able to get around better than before i lost the weight..it has made a big difference in my enery level....good luck on your journey! Peggy
JANICE E.
on 3/30/05 8:53 am - PLAINFIELD, NJ
Hi Peggy, Thanks for the input. I'm still in the process of getting precertified. All the test I need to be precert. Feeling like I don't want to be bothered with all of this but I pray for GOD to make it clear to me. Even with the neutrisionist I'm not sticking to the foods she's telling me to eat. But I lost 3lbs how I don't know. But I'm eating more of all the wrong things and telling myself well your working on having the bypass done so pig out. Not good. I do need some feed back and help with getting the right mind set about this. So, let me know what helped you.
peggy B.
on 3/30/05 11:01 am - Yuba City, CA
Janice, I just cut out carbs (i have some cause on a diabetic diet you have to) but mostly eating chicken and fish and no eating out unless the main course is salad. I lost 43 and still have 22 to go. Maybe you just have to adjust the diet to what you can live with. Talk to the dietician about the things you normally eat and see if she can work with that. i also use protein shake for at least one of my meals and it works for me. Since i lost the weight, i am able to exercise more..of course right now it is cold outside but this weekend is supposed to be nice so i am gonna be outside as much as possible. All i can suggest is a support system. I usually call someone if i feel the urge to eat something i know isn't on my diet and that to me gets me out of trouble. And i am always a email away so you are welcome to email me. peggy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 168 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 496 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 841 views