Half Marathon vs Full Marathon?

Ohiodietguy
on 6/20/16 6:34 pm

Hello   I have registered for a half marathon in mid October.

This past Saturday I was able to Jog 13 miles . I  Ate a protein bar at the halfway point during the run.  My recovery time was really not too bad at all.  Now I am thinking about registering for a full marathon for the first week of November .  Advice for marathon training plans  ?  Any advice about proper nutrition for training for a marathon after weight-loss surgery ? Thanks

Starting Weight 337  Current Weight 178.4 BMI 22.3 

docbad32
on 6/21/16 8:41 am

For my marathon I used Hal Higdon's novice 2 plan with a little modification to add some extra miles. As far as nutrition, it's going to take a lot of experimentation because everyone's gut reacts different. I used water and GU. I took one per hour. Probably needed a little more. I chose GU because it's easy to carry and easy for me to stomach. Use your long runs to experiment with different fuel and stick with the one that works. Good luck!

VSG:  3/12/15

highlandbear
on 6/21/16 12:32 pm - Canada

Sorry to say but you will need to figure out what works for your system while running that you can handle. You don't have to have weight loss surgery to have stomach issues while running. For me I started out with GU and than on day my stomach said no way and every time I tried one I needed a bathroom.  Right now I use a gel that is maple syrup, sea salt and ginger which we know ginger helps settle the stomach so this is working for me.  You could see if can handle Pretzels  they are good for long runs. I am going to be trying to introduce them to my system as I train for my Ultra. Good luck on your training.

billmacc7
on 6/21/16 12:49 pm - MA

Like noted by others does guidelines and suggestions for what to do to prepare for marathon and what to eat during a marathon. Eventually it's through trial and error that you find out what works for you relative to fueling during running events.   In a event good luck on the road 

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

Most Active