I am THINKING ABOUT A REVISION at 6 years

Emily F.
on 6/19/11 8:11 am
Thank God people understand what a load of crap this post was.
(deactivated member)
on 6/19/11 8:15 am
To be Honestly Blunt Nana! I Think With Years of research The Sleeve seems great in my personal opinion for me.

If you ever need to Revise. Please do a deep research on The Sleeve/VSG.

Ohh and just incase never say never!

The BEST option for me.

To Each one their own. TY.
(deactivated member)
on 6/19/11 8:33 am, edited 6/19/11 8:56 am - ~Somewhere in~, PA
 Hey...I've been watching the Sleeve for some time now and for some reason those who are 2-5 years out disappear from the forums and you never hear back from them again I am not saying ALL of them disappear but MOST DO (so it's hard for me to assess the long term success of the Sleeve...also I've seen MANY get the Sleeve (I know personally)  and don't lose more than they lost with the band.....MANY have complained that they had MORE restriction with the band than with the Sleeve...so I honestly cannot say I would EVER revise over to the Sleeve even (god-forbid) I have to get my band removed. But of course those who are angry and disgruntle are not going to be tell the honest truth, also I've done my own research on the Sleeve and IT DOES NOT LOOK GOOD....long term...here is a recent study on the Sleeve failure rate...it seems as the more people get it the more failures you get just like the Lap Band. I wish you success with your Sleeve! I just wish those of us who STILL HAVE BAND can post here in peace...LOL.....

http://bariatrictimes.com/2010/07/22/sleeve-gastrectomy-fail ure-just-when-we-thought-we-had-the-perfect-operation/

Lisey
on 6/21/11 12:04 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI

Stunning, really.

You believe the negative research you have found on another WLS, but not for your own.  What is your personal criteria for reviewing the appropriateness of the design and statistical method used in the study?  The validity, efficacy, and effectiveness of the results? 

I've taken five statics courses, four of them at the graduate level.  I used to run a research laboratory under a national grant.  I know how to evaluate research.  Beyond wishful thinking, what criteria do you use to evaluate research?

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/11 1:54 am, edited 6/21/11 1:54 am - ~Somewhere in~, PA
Well...quite frankly I had no interest in the Sleeve nor had I ever ventured over the Sleeve board, but it was constantly being shoved down my throat every time I logged on to the lap band forum and ex lap banders who had an ax to grind would constantly tell us pitiful lap banders that life with the Sleeve is like heaven...you get it and the weight just drops off, you can eat what you want without food getting stuck/ no risk of complications...like the perfect weight loss surgery...

I guess if that sentiment is being constantly thrown at you who would not do some research on a surgery where others are telling you it's like heaven.

So I thought I would do more research/ reading journals and publications and studies on the long term effects and efficacy on the Sleeve and quietly observe those who've had it and monitor their progress and weight loss/complications and ask surgeons about it....and so far my research indicates it's NO BETTER than the band, in fact long term it may have worse outcomes -- since the band is adjustable and the Sleeve is not, I WISHED long term Sleevers that I know that revised would come back to report how they are doing and SHOW RECENT PICTURES OF THEIR PROGRESS...BUT AS OF YET...I've seen none, I am not talking about 1-3 years post op...I mean 4-5 years when the party is usually over with most weight loss surgeries...If the Sleeve GAVE ME A GOOD REASON TO REVISE ...I WOULD DO IT IN A HEARTBEAT, I HAVE THE INSURANCE AND MONEY TO GET ANY WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY I WANT.....BUT RIGHT NOW I HAVE GREAT RESTRICTION WITH MY BAND AND NO COMPLICATIONS SO I WOULD BE FOOLISH TO REMOVE MY BAND FOR NO REASON AT THIS POINT AT 6 YEARS.
Lisey
on 6/21/11 2:35 am, edited 6/21/11 2:36 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
I didn't infer or state that I thought the sleeve was better than the band. 

My comment was solely on your selective use of research articles - accepting what you believe (termed the confirmatory hypothesis, btw) and rejecting what you don't versus evaluating all data from a perspective that judges the findings based on the scientific rigorousness of the design and whether the author drafted the article including existing research that was based on all previous findings in the discussion of why the present study should be conducted.

I suspect that the sleeve in years 5+ out will result in a fair amount of regain, but there are too few patients that far out to make a definitive assessment of that.

The band has been on the market for a sufficient time to definitively evaluate the incident rate of complications, % of highest excess weight loss, and amount of sustained weight loss.  The results of the first indicate a markedly high rate of complications when combining all types.  The data on the most crucial factor in any  WLS, enduring long-term WL, does not meet the minimum 50% benchmark as set forth by the ASBS.

You are one person and not reflective of averages, nor is any other single person.  Your experience, nor any other single person's experience with complications, should not guide someone in their choice of WLS.  They should read research and decide what they want to do.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

Jenns Livin free
on 6/19/11 8:32 am
I have been very good about NOT posting anything on the band board since I revised to my sleeve.  I read enough band bashing posts to think, "It is a personal choice, and I will respect that."  However, it is people like you that will cause me to stop being quiet and comment. 
First, you are nothing but a trouble maker.  I spent enough time on this forum to know how much you like to bash on other people.  I am glad that you made goal and are happy with the band, but does that make you knowledgeable enough to comment that all other wls are bad? 
I had the band for seven months with no problems at all.  Then, it was one of those "great" fills that messed everything up.  I also found that my surgeon did not do things properly.  Now...is this my fault? No. 
The sleeve is the best thing I ever did.  Guess what I have eaten the last week for breakfast???  EGGS...something I was unable to eat since the 5th month with the band.  Ummm, let's see...what else??  Oh, I have not gotten stuck, slimed, thrown up, or felt like a 500 pound person was sitting on my chest since I got my sleeve.  And I actually eat 1/4c-1/2c of food and am full for hours!!  I haven't had to get stuck with a needle and "hope" that it is the fill that will actually do what the band people said it would do. 
Oh, and by the way, I did my research before the band.  It was good enough for me to go ahead with it.  While I was researching revision options, I came across numerous amounts of research about the problems with bands IN THE SHORT 18 MONTHS THAT I HAD MINE!!!  And the reversable crap...go to the revision board and ask THOSE people what reversable meant to them when they HAD to have their band out due to horrible, life threatening issues that the band caused.
So, get off your soapbox, learn to support all of us since we are ALL IN THE SAME BOAT.  You and your band are not better than anyone else.  And it amazes me how ANYONE can bash on another person's decision to get a different wls than the band.  What, are we still in high school???
Jenn
Lovin' life...finally! Jenn
HW 324 Lapband SW 290(9/14/09)  VSG SW 254(5/23/11)  CW 210 GW 160
Approved on 3/10/2011 for Revision to VSG. Lapband removal 3/22/2011.VSG surgery 5/23/2011

(deactivated member)
on 6/19/11 8:38 am - ~Somewhere in~, PA
 Jenn, I am honestly happy that you got a surgery that worked for you! Gee if you could not eat solids with your band there was no good reason for you to live like that in misery, the band is not for everyone and sure some surgeons place the band wrong and give patients the wrong size...etc...but MANY abuse it and then come back here and harass those who still have a band. I can't really relate because I have always been able to eat solids with my band, so if you are able to eat a good meal with your Sleeve good for you and I wish that you achieve all success with your Sleeve that the band did not do for you. 

prettypixels
on 6/20/11 9:59 am
On June 19, 2011 at 3:38 PM Pacific Time, ~~Nana ~. wrote:
 Jenn, I am honestly happy that you got a surgery that worked for you! Gee if you could not eat solids with your band there was no good reason for you to live like that in misery, the band is not for everyone and sure some surgeons place the band wrong and give patients the wrong size...etc...but MANY abuse it and then come back here and harass those who still have a band. I can't really relate because I have always been able to eat solids with my band, so if you are able to eat a good meal with your Sleeve good for you and I wish that you achieve all success with your Sleeve that the band did not do for you. 

So you think all the people who have had problems are just doin' it wrong?  That's your answer?  And you "research" by noticing who posts on the boards?  Really???  

This is laughably lame.    But thanks for the amusement.  
Banded in 2001 at 217 lbs - Band to DS revision 10/25/11 at 310 lbs
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!

Stacy160
on 6/19/11 9:08 am

Could ya GET a little more ignorant??

HW 258    SW 246.4    CW 166.8 GW 160    
                     (reflects loss from all-time high weight in November 2009)
Most Active