I am THINKING ABOUT A REVISION at 6 years

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/11 12:04 am, edited 6/18/11 12:11 am - ~Somewhere in~, PA
 Since my insurance covers bariatric surgery and pays 100 percent for ANY type I think I want to get a revision since I have the lap band and it is easy to remove, I get the luxury to pick and choose at my pleasure

Let's see....which one should I choose?

Let's start off with RNY - I could still stand to lose a few more pound on my 5'8 frame and go from a size 12 down to a skeletal 2 or 0....not sure if hubby would like hold onto bones, but hey I would be rocking 0's ....but now I would have to worry about loading up on vitamins FOR LIFE something I barely take with my band at 6 years and I am still healthy (thank god) and also worry about bowel issues, risks of malnutrition, a high risk of not able to enjoy my daily chocolate at work or my evening ice cream sandwiches or splitting a yummy desert with hubby eating out weekly....NAH...I think I will pass on RNY too many eating restrictions.

Let's look at the Sleeve - Hmmm.. The Sleeve looks like a great option, it's similar to the band sort of....I think the Sleeve have MORE eating restrictions than the band does based on several people having mild "dumping" episodes just like RNY, and you have to be a little bit more stricter than the band with a vitamin regimen but not as strict as RNY.....Now if I revised over to the Sleeve where would that put me weight wise....I am currently a size 12 so I think the Sleeve would give me about 50 more pounds and that would probably put me easily put into as size 4/6...BUT what would happen to me in the NEXT 6 years with the Sleeve? That is the big question mark...there are a lot of unknowns with the Sleeve regarding removing the Stomach and it's long term heath impact  on the body  and based on studies that I've read it WILL STRETCH enough for significant weight gain if you are not a serious dieter and the grehlen levels wears off in 2-3 years and then I will back to scare ONE WITH NO TOOL to help me and risk gaining all my weight sounds scary ...SO NAH...I'll pass on the Sleeve.....

Let's look at the BIG BOY of weight loss surgeries the DS -- OK...Many surgeons will not even perform this surgery since it's so dangerous, the DS puts the patient in critical condition and the patient will ALWAYS have to chase their Labs to stay healthy and alive, and they MUST eat TONS of proteins and have a vitamin regimen that most drug addicts can't keep up with, I shudder at the thought of having to rely on taking about 50-100 pills EVERY SINGLE DAY for the rest of my life about 5 times a day, gee...I would not have time to work, have sex, or vacation with that rigorous vitamin regime.. and don't even talk about the horrific gas/bowel movement that would clear a building if they dare eat carbs ...so most DSr have to eat tons of protein to stay alive EVERY SINGLE DAY for the rest of their lives (talking about a strict diet) just to keep the poo smell in check ..... I can't envision myself in my 70s and 80s having to chow down tons of protein,...hell at that age how would I remember to take all those vitamins 5 times a day and risk early osteoporosis.......Absolutely NO thank you.

So ................I guess until they find a weight loss surgery where I can eat sweets with no consequences/ lose tons of weight with little to no exercise, no complication risks....then it's NO REVISION surgery for me ....it's me and my little fickle friend "suzie"  that's my bands name...she keeps me in check and let's me eat what I want and keep me in my size 12s with little to no effort at 6 years.

Enjoy your day ...Hubby and I are off to enjoy a Swinetastic BBQ Festival today, I will be doing my sampling of tasting different foods...so glad my band allows me to eat normally with no restrictions just getting full quick..but sometimes I have to admit I overeat on occasions like this and the only consequence is getting stuffed or slime if I eat bread...gotta avoid the bread and chow down on juicy rib meat

Jshivery
on 6/18/11 12:46 am
Revision on 03/10/16
I have to admit, I saw the title to your post and I thought, "Oh my gosh I hope she is okay!!"  You are one of biggest supporters for the band and I was worried something has happened to your band!!  Whewww I'm glad you are okay and I love your post!  I love reading all your posts, because you are very insightful and knowledgeable about your band..and 6 years out your still loving it!  I love that!!!  Keep up the good work and I will continue to read your posts faithfully!!! 

Have a great day and thanks for the laugh!!! 

Jamie

crystal M.
on 6/18/11 1:11 am - Joliet, IL
I have to admit I thought you were serious.  I was thinking, I thought she was doing well....what in the Hell happened since the last time I read one of her posts...hahaha

So ................I guess until they find a weight loss surgery where I can eat sweets with no consequences/ lose tons of weight with little to no exercise, no complication risks...
OMG!!!  I would love a surgery like that.  I would go broke paying for it if had to.  It would be nice to eat whatever I wanted when I wanted and never exercise and still lose weight...sign me up!!!!

I named my band Willard!!!!  Willard is good to me.  He lets me eat but doesn't let me over eat.  He's a good supportive friend. 
(deactivated member)
on 6/19/11 3:30 am
Yeah, I would love that kind of surgery too :)
Donnamarie
on 6/18/11 2:04 am - NY

Nana,

While I totally support any bander that has been successful, heck ANY WLS patient that has been successful, I can't help but see this post as a bit snarky.  What was this supposed to achieve???

Now I won't wonder why people bash banders in the future. 

This is just my measly 2 cents.  YMMV.

Donna

"Accountability first to yourself, then nobody else matters"

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/11 2:10 am, edited 6/18/11 2:13 am - ~Somewhere in~, PA
 DonnaMarie...I am sorry if my post offended anyone, even tho my post was full of sarcasm it was a post to make people think ..and REALLY think long and hard before getting a life changing surgery....

But you know after I posted it I thought it was pretty funny...it gives a very truthful and realistic way of life for every surgery...even the lap band....I even threw in slime....trust me since I've been posting the band bashing has cooled off a bit.....I am off now. enjoy your day.
Lisey
on 6/18/11 4:57 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
 . . . "I am sorry if my post offended anyone" . . .  I call bull****  At least have the balls to claim what you spout.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

(deactivated member)
on 6/19/11 12:28 am

Lisey
on 6/19/11 1:11 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

clpeltz
on 6/18/11 6:26 am
Yep, Bull**** Nana!  You were deliberately spouting false information about surgeries you know NOTHING about!  Keep your mouth shut!

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

Most Active