I am THINKING ABOUT A REVISION at 6 years

Chimere
on 6/19/11 9:45 am, edited 6/19/11 10:07 am
Ok first off I have not had my surgery yet.  I have done a yrs worth of research. I have a friend that has the band she loved it. I have a friend that had the sleeve done she loves it. The honest to gods truth is there can be complications to any surgery.  Like others have posted 1 size does not fit all.  I weighed what you had to do with the band against the sleeve and for me getting a needle stuck in my stomach untill I finally got that sweet spot ( if ever ) naaaaa.  I have read that even though you feel full your stomach gurgles. The band can erode and Ive seen the surgery takeing one out its not pretty.

I like the sleeve because you dont have all that mess to contend with. Watch KellaWanda's utube vids. Shes 4 yrs out. She eats everything she wants even sweets. She has one named * Gained 3 pounds in 3 days*  From eating out at restaruants. High fat and caloric foods.  She also has one called * Sugar is a drug*  she has very good vids.  I learned alot about this from her you would to. There are many good vids out there.

The stuff you posted about the sleeve is totally incorrect period.  Nothing you said about the sleeve is correct.  They remove the portion of the stomach that stretches.

Anyone can regain their weight if they fall back to old behaviors.  IE high fat high sugar. Yes I dont care what you have done you will regain.

With the RNY people gain weight after a while because they no longer have a pyloric sphenster *sp* and they end up with a funnel. The lil pouch can be stretched out. whos fault is that?

So with all these surgeries there can be drawbacks I cant find any with the sleeve except perhaps the possibility of the leak.  Other then that It to me IMHO is the best surgery. BUT THATS ME. 
Thank you very much..

As others have said people coem to these forums to get ideas about what to expect.  You cannot blame people that have had bad experiances with the band for posting, that was thier true life experiance and they were shareing that.

It would totally be unfair to other people to not be able to see  all experances about any surgery.  The band has draw backs just like any other.  I think its very childish of you to post that garbage biased post thats so filled with partical truths.  If as you say you are here to help people and be honest then be that.  Dont use the surgeries to get back at other posters. 

I read your artical and any surgery has the same or worst stats. Why didnt you post them? In some cases its  not the surgery that failed, its the person failing themselves, going back to old habits.

AND OMG DONT YOU LOVE THIS FROM HER OWN POST ???????

**********Introduction
Unable to decide between multiple bariatric surgery options, patients often ask one of our least favorite questions, “What if it were your own family member? What would you recommend to him or her?" to which I usually reply, “Sleeve gastrectomy even though I honestly do not know its long-term outcomes."***************

TOO GOOD

(deactivated member)
on 6/19/11 10:21 am, edited 6/19/11 10:30 am - ~Somewhere in~, PA
I wish you much success with your Sleeve, I have NO interest in revising to it, I am very happy and content with my band going on 6 years, I can eat all foods that I love, the only difference is I get full quick, I have no vitamin deficiencies or other complications...and regarding band erosion, that is a risk that I am willing to deal with it -- just like you are willing to deal with the risk of a Leak with your Sleeve, which I hear is extremely hard to treat, I am 6 years out, so I feel my band has settled safely in my body, I don't feel or even know its there. I've been educated on how to prevent band slippage and erosion and SO FAR it's working me. Even god-forbid it erodes it's not life threatening and can be removed and I can resume a normal life.

Honestly, I never even thought about the Sleeve since I have been so happy with my band and results...this board was attacked by those who got revisions, I wish this board was like it used to be with LAP BAND patients ONLY. When the band bashing started two years ago, I looked at the Sleeve especially when my surgeon was not filling my band properly a few years ago and I thought this may be a great alternative but I was lucky and changed surgeons and have had great restriction since then.

When you are pre op you have no clue of HOW LIFE really is with a particular surgery, you know I have the comfort of "tight restriction" and I would say how do folks gain all their weight back but I will tell you...when my surgeon totally unfilled my band a few years ago.... it was a REAL wake up call for me, I had NO restriction, when the band is empty it puts you back at pre op level.... and I gained back 20 pounds in 6 weeks very easy just by eating normal. But I consider myself lucky to have my lap band and very grateful that it is adjustable, I have learned to respect and cherish my tool and having good restriction at 6 years keeping my weight down, this is why I fear a weight loss surgery THAT CAN STRETCH, I wish you luck with your Sleeve and hope it works out for you but based on my research the Sleeve can and will Stretch based on this article.

http://bariatrictimes.com/2010/07/22/sleeve-gastrectomy-fail ure-just-when-we-thought-we-had-the-perfect-operation/ 

. Good luck to you.

Edited to add: In the END when the bypass stops working and the Sleeve stretch...the band is always used or wanted for a salvage procedure...IT KEEPS ON WORKING.....when other weight loss surgeries have run their course.....if you read carefully in the article the band is mentioned as a salvage solution to the BYPASS but not great for the Sleeve....once you remove the stomach there is nothing else you can do but try to move on the the DS...

(deactivated member)
on 6/19/11 10:27 am
Nana I would have to agree with Chimere. Makes alot of VALID Points.
tee4change
on 6/19/11 10:52 am, edited 6/19/11 10:53 am - NY
wow ur raw..... lol I guess I ain't getting nuthin .... weigh****chers here i come ..... just kididng!
Chimere
on 6/19/11 10:59 am, edited 6/19/11 10:59 am
The band is a crap shoot. Some people have great success some people have serious problems. I am curious though ......IF the band is so great?  Then why does the surgeon that YOU posted from say he would recommend the Sleeve over anything else? hmmmmmmmm curiosier and curiosier. I even posted his quote on my reply I noticed you TOTALLY  ignored that point

I do want to say one thing here.  I do agree that its not right for people to come here and post angry post or call people stupid for their choices.  HOWEVER if a person once had a band and had problems then they should post what the complications where.  I searched and searched for complications to the Sleeve and I saw 2 and those were on OH forums.  I googled it in all different kinds of terms never got that many like I say 2.  Google the band see what happens. 

I know your just takeing up for the band and you feel like your doin to other surgeries what they have done to this forum.  There are other ways to handle things then spewing sarcasim.  Your sole concern is not people voiceing their displeasure with the band.  Your sole concern is makeing sure people that come here get accurate information.

This forum has been so helpful to me in learning what to expect from my surgery.  Which doctor to use.  What to eat, how my weight can go or not go for that matter. I knew I was going with the sleeve before I found this site but I wanted all the info I could get my hands on to make sure I was goin with was right for me.  So I knew exactly what I was getting into.  All I can say is on our forums we are not bitter.  If a banded person came over to our forums and started spouting off about how bad the sleeve was compared to the band I would tell them the same exact thing I have stated here.
(deactivated member)
on 6/19/11 11:13 am - ~Somewhere in~, PA
 It appears that this IS A PRO SLEEVE SURGEON, there are surgeons THAT ARE PRO RNY AND PRO BAND....apparently the PRO SLEEVE surgeon wrote the article and saw its failure and he went on to mention that he would still recommend it even though as I quote him..."I honestly do not know its long-term outcomes"...so basically everyone who is getting a Sleeve NOW are Guinea pigs.....since there are no long term studies on its safety or efficacy..I wish you luck!

Signing off now...for this week.

Chimere
on 6/19/11 11:15 am
You were a Guinea pig for the band it hasnt been out that long and what are the long term stats for the band?
(deactivated member)
on 6/19/11 11:26 am - ~Somewhere in~, PA
 Chimere I thought you were a bit smarter....the band has been around for 25 years -- it is the surgery of choice in Europe and Australia, it was FDA approved in the United States in 2001...and has stood the test of time....just to educate you here is a link to the Lap Band history.......http://doctorsofweightloss.com/lap-band-history/
NewDawn50
on 6/19/11 11:40 am
I can't imagine how happy you could possibly be with your band that you feel the need to be this iflammatory regarding other surgeries.

If you're happy with your band, feel lucky that you had no complications and try maybe to start having some measure of serenity, why don't you?  You say you don't post much - however when you do, you always seem to feel the need to become some sort of catalyst for feelings of snark and nastiness.

It upsets you, it seems, that many others are happy with their surgeries, but so many were unhappy with their bands, because yours worked.  You might feel differently if you were one of those it injured.  As for the close tabs you claim to keep on the other forums, if that's truly the case, you need to step away from your keyboard and try to make yourself a little happier.  The sleeve forum is among the most decent forums, with people treating one another with respect and dignity - but here you truck with your big mouth, yapping that you personally don't see long-timers.  Really?  Have that much time on your hands, do you?  There is a separate forum for long-tem sleevers where they like to post a lot, since they have a lot in common, however, they still give generous advice and feedback to newbies.  Guess that escaped your notice.  Or, as is pretty obvious, you see what you want to see.  Which is why the whole idea of "your" research into long-term wls effects is laughable. 

It appears that you only bashed other surgeries because you don't like what many say about the band.  Since no surgery is perfect, you decided to exploit any loophole you could find in the interest of trying to make people feel as attacked as you seem to feel. 

Happy now?

_rebecca
on 6/19/11 1:04 pm - Houston, TX
VSG on 12/27/10 with
I really don't understand your reasons for posting this.  Isn't this suppossed to be a SUPPORT forum?  I had the band and it did horrible damage to my body.  That is a fact and I have the CT scans to prove it.  I now have the sleeve and I am doing amazing well with it.  I think that no matter what surgery you have, you have to work hard to achieve your goals.  We should be here to support each other, no matter which surgery you have.
Most Active