I am THINKING ABOUT A REVISION at 6 years

(deactivated member)
on 6/19/11 8:55 am - ~Somewhere in~, PA
 Seeking Healthy, thank you for clarifying and detailing your surgery, I appreciate your honesty and now I have a better idea of what life is really like for you with your DS.

My point in my post was not to humiliate DSrs, it was actually just repeating what I actually heard other DSrs mention and other surgeons, I have no idea how your life really is with your surgery, so it's not fair for me to judge and I apologize if I hurt you or anyone else who is sensitive to this. But I do hope you can understand the reasoning behind my post and what driven me to this point.

Every time I log on to OH I hear someone who has revised over to another surgery harass people, even myself on the lap band forum and tell us that we are all doomed and the band is a piece of crap and MANY have actually been attacked by DSrs for choosing the band and told how stupid they are and their life will be nothing but vomiting and no weight loss and complications and THAT IS FAR FROM THE TRUTH...in fact, I lost just as much weight with by band  than most who got the bypass and MANY others have also, its OK for people to share their complications with the band, but it has really gotten out of control as of late...there are also many who post here hate their band and pretend they are here for support, I mean if I really hated my band I would not post here and try to rain on others parade by flaming others with snarky remarks and encourage band bashing and making others experience here unpleasant.

So I hope you understand my reasoning behind my Revision post.

(deactivated member)
on 6/19/11 10:39 am
Nicolle
on 6/20/11 1:04 am
Hmmm...I had the DS over 3 years ago and I take 12-13 vites a day and 8 of them are calcium because I am a woman of a certain age AND have a malabsorptive surgery.

You are so wrong it's sad. Stick to what you know. Well, we know that isn't much, so look on the bright side--it should not take long! That will free your time up to take more weird pictures of you in the bathroom!

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Lady Lithia
on 6/18/11 2:22 am
I dump like crazy with RNY

But I've enjoyed a daily piece of chocolate since I was about 8 months out from surgery.

Chocolate really agrees with me.

Just saying.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

terilynn112
on 6/18/11 3:24 am - maryland, NY
I have several friends still here. I am offended by this rediculous post. No surgery is better than any other. Some peoples bodies aren't meant to have bands. My body didn't like it. I lost NOTHING with it. It kept slipping. I wish NO one here ill. So why post such a biased nasty post? I am sorry you feel so negitively about the other options. I hope the band doesn't fail you in the future.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

nayttap
on 6/18/11 4:26 am
Amy R.
on 6/18/11 4:26 am
Ouch Nana.

I like you a lot and really respect how you stick up for the band in the face of all of the band bashing, but wow.

While I have to admit there are days I'd like to be skin and bones and "rock a 0", it aint happenin for me. I am a healthy size 10/12 just like you are. And I even get to eat sweets when I want them.

EveryBODY is different - thank goodness there are different surgery types so we can all do what is best for our individual bodies.

What brought all of this on? It doesn't seem like you.
StephOinAZ
on 6/18/11 4:43 am
I totally respect that you are standing up for what works for you, and congratulations on your success.   However you have just done a huge injustice to someone who would take your post seriously (which it absolutely should NOT be taken as).  For someone researching which surgery option is best for THEM, you have just pissed all over every surgery.

It's one thing to support YOUR own decision and be happy with what you have.  It is another thing entirely to post a bitter diatribe that casts a very ugly light on surgeries that have saved the lives of thousands of people because it was what THEY needed.   And the worst part is that your snarky remarks aren't even true.  They are over dramatized generalizations that are intended to scare people away from options that could be better for them than the lap-band. 

I would never bash a surgery even though my opinions are strong in regards to some, because I do not know what is best for everyone, nor do I claim that I do.  You might want to tone down the sarcasm a bit and be supportive of bandsters without smearing mud over all of the other options.  You are losing your credibility.
Janine P.
on 6/18/11 4:44 am - Long Island, NY
Many surgeons will not even perform this surgery since it's so dangerous, the DS puts the patient in critical condition and the patient will ALWAYS have to chase their Labs to stay healthy and alive, and they MUST eat TONS of proteins and have a vitamin regimen that most drug addicts can't keep up with, I shudder at the thought of having to rely on taking about 50-100 pills EVERY SINGLE DAY for the rest of my life about 5 times a day, gee...I would not have time to work, have sex, or vacation with that rigorous vitamin regime.. and don't even talk about the horrific gas/bowel movement that would clear a building if they dare eat carbs ...so most DSr have to eat tons of protein to stay alive EVERY SINGLE DAY for the rest of their lives (talking about a strict diet) just to keep the poo smell in check

Umm... Bull****

Surgeon's don't perform the DS because it's too complicated to learn and perform and it takes too long to do so they can't run their "Surgery Mills" the way they'd like to and make as much money.  A DS can range from 4 hours to 8 hours - A whole day's work for a doctor.  A crap band - that's a 45 minute procedure, assuming no complications occur, so a surgeon can squeeze in a good 8 of those a day.  Much more lucrative to avoid the DS

Fifty to 100 pills a day... Where are you getting this bull**** information, Naomi?  Get your head out of your ass.  I take 22 a day, split into 4 batches.  That's 5 vitamin's at a time.  Oooo... So difficult.

And hmm... Stinky poo when eating bad carbs is a pretty good trade off instead of gaining weight when eating bad foods.  I'll take the stinky poo.

Naomi, get off your high horse.  I had a band for 3 years - I know what bandster life is like.  I am not one to say that one surgery is better than another, but you apparently are, and you couldn't be more narcissistic or self-absorbed for it.   Stop judging people on what surgery they choose.  There is no "best" surgery - Surgery choices are like colors.  No color in the rainbow is better than another.  It's all about preference. 
And at the very least, if you're going to bash surgery types, the least you could have done was do it intelligently, rather than basing it off of sterotypical labels. 

Janine   Me on Youtube 

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/11 11:53 am, edited 6/18/11 11:54 am - ~Somewhere in~, PA
 Janine...where am I getting this information regarding the number of pills a Dsr take daily? Oh I asked a DSr and she posted them on this forum about 3 years ago...it totaled about 70 pills per day...I thought she was kidding she had them on her profile...I was actually shocked....

Every thing that I mentioned in my post regarding the DS IS THE TRUTH...like it or not....when I first went to my seminar to learn about ALL weigh loss surgeries 6 years ago Dr Elariny in northern Virginia actually gave a seminar about each surgery type...he was even doing the Sleeve back then when no other surgeon was doing them...he was called the Master of the DS...he even mentioned in his seminar that he does not recommend the DS but would do them for SO people...I had no clue what the DS was until he gave a presentation about it and HE MENTIONED THAT THE DS POOP/FARTS was so FOUL it would clear a building THIS CAME OUT OF THE MOUTH OF THE SURGEON...not people posting about this on the DS forum....OK....

Most Active